sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2023 2:08 pm  #1

And The New Host Of The Show That Will Follow Stephen Colbert Is...

Taylor Tomlinson. 

We will now pause while many ask, "who?"

She's a comedian who's been chosen to host the coming show that will follow Late Night With Stephen Colbert on CBS, after James Corden left earlier this year. She's done a number of comedy specials but I have to admit I've never heard of her. Colbert, whose company is producing the new show called "After Midnight," introduced her on his show Wednesday night. 

The program is based on an old Comedy Central show called "@midnight," which ran for several years on the U.S. cable network. It's a quasi-game format using comedians to answer weird questions. It kind of reminds me of the Bare Knuckle Round of CBC Radio's The Debaters, only much longer. There's no premiere date yet, beyond sometime in 2024.  

Comedian Taylor Tomlinson to host new CBS late-night show "After Midnight." Here's what to know about her.

Here's a sample of what the show might resemble, from its original cable incarnation. 

November 2, 2023 2:18 pm  #2

Re: And The New Host Of The Show That Will Follow Stephen Colbert Is...

Taylor Tomlinson is very funny and she works an audience really well. She's going to be great 

November 2, 2023 5:16 pm  #3

^ Agreed. Very funny.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 3, 2023 3:33 pm  #4

November 9, 2023 2:04 am  #5

She has a couple of Netflix specials which are quite good.

January 4, 2024 9:04 pm  #6

And now we know when this will finally debut - early on the morning of Jan. 17th. I wonder if any Canadian networks are going to simulcast this show?

CBS’ ‘After Midnight’ Sets Premiere Date

January 5, 2024 12:09 pm  #7

I would bet money on it. She’s one of the rising stars in entertainment right now.

January 18, 2024 12:48 am  #8

This debuted on Tuesday night (really, Wednesday morning)  and frankly, I forgot all about it. The numbers explain how many people stayed up "After Midnight" to watch it. 

‘After Midnight’: CBS Reveals Premiere Ratings

January 18, 2024 2:18 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

This debuted on Tuesday night (really, Wednesday morning)  and frankly, I forgot all about it. The numbers explain how many people stayed up "After Midnight" to watch it. 

‘After Midnight’: CBS Reveals Premiere Ratings

If her social media clips have more traction/viewers than the actual broadcast, that might be more of an indication of success than just ratings. 

January 18, 2024 3:07 am  #10

It’s a game show and it uses social media for interaction. I don’t know if placing it on over the air network TV is a great fit with the audience they want.
By the way, I think the debut episode airs again Friday night.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (January 18, 2024 3:11 am)

January 18, 2024 9:03 am  #11

At the risk of being piled on, I DVR-ed this last night, the second episode. 

It's rare that I'm rendered speechless, but I watched this thing with my mouth dropping open. It was so unfunny and so cringeworthy that I simply have no words to describe it. There is nothing worse than people desperately trying to be amusing and failing miserably. Wow. I just have no words. 

Clearly CBS saw something in a show about making fun of the Internet, and I'm totally the wrong demo. But this may be the worst show I've ever seen on any network. And as a lifelong TV watcher, that's saying something. 

​This is, of course, solely my opinion, and yours may differ. I invite you to watch it and see for yourself. In the meantime, I won't be giving it another inch of disk space on my DVR.

January 18, 2024 3:31 pm  #12

Taylor Tomlinson is likeable but yeah the show isn't funny. CBC Radio's The Debaters and Because News are much better comedy game shows.

January 18, 2024 3:49 pm  #13

Funny you would say that. I was thinking of The Debaters as I watched it. The CBC tried making a TV show out of that one, too, and it barely lasted the season. But the radio show is far superior to the CBS attempt at comedy.

January 18, 2024 8:25 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

At the risk of being piled on, I DVR-ed this last night, the second episode. 

It's rare that I'm rendered speechless, but I watched this thing with my mouth dropping open. It was so unfunny and so cringeworthy that I simply have no words to describe it. There is nothing worse than people desperately trying to be amusing and failing miserably. Wow. I just have no words. 

Clearly CBS saw something in a show about making fun of the Internet, and I'm totally the wrong demo. But this may be the worst show I've ever seen on any network. And as a lifelong TV watcher, that's saying something. 

​This is, of course, solely my opinion, and yours may differ. I invite you to watch it and see for yourself. In the meantime, I won't be giving it another inch of disk space on my DVR.

CBS didn't invent this concept.  It's a reboot of the Emmy winning Comedy Central show @Midnight which ran for 4 years and 600 episodes under the same showrunner.  I just don't think it's mainstream enough for a major network.

February 6, 2024 10:25 am  #15

Global has now picked up After Midnight to follow its simulcast of Stephen Colbert's late night talker. Its first airing was Monday night. 

February 7, 2024 10:02 am  #16

The host mentioned on Monday night that it was the first night the show was being aired in Canada.  There even was a story about a raccoon in Toronto.

However, for whatever reason, they had two Global logos at the lower right corner for two nights in a row so far.  [Captured screenshots]