sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2023 9:03 am  #1

A Tricker Treat: Halloween & The Radio

I haven't been out "trick or treating" for more decades than I care to recall but this pseudo-holiday always brings back a reminder of the only Halloween costume I can really remember: I went out as a radio. 

I was just a little kid but radio obsessed even then. So I decided I would go out one year in what was my all time favourite get-up: a transistor radio. The costume was incredibly simple and my parents were overjoyed - it cost them next to nothing. It consisted of two pieces of cardboard attached like a sandwich board, with an AM radio dial drawn on it - tuned, of course, to 1050 CHUM. 

But the thing that completed the costume was the small transistor radio I was carrying in my pocket, also tuned to CHUM. It was the best of both worlds - I was getting candy while at the same time listening to some great tunes.

It's probably my best Halloween memory. And of course, it involved radio. I guess today, some kid is out there dressed as a cell phone.

But somehow, that just wouldn't be the same.

October 31, 2023 9:15 am  #2

Re: A Tricker Treat: Halloween & The Radio

Halloween at the radio station. A lot of people asked for the night off, so they're just relying on a skeleton staff...

October 31, 2023 9:16 am  #3

For our friends down south.

October 31, 2023 9:39 am  #4

I still remember the joke the great Loren Owens (known on air as "L.O.") used on Halloween over the old WEBR 970 in Buffalo, during its all-too brief Top 40 days:

Q: What did Roy Rogers give his horse for Halloween?

A: A Trigger treat.

Absolutely awful, but it still makes me laugh all these years later. 

October 31, 2023 9:47 am  #5

One more:

October 31, 2023 3:42 pm  #6

Heard lots of Ghostbusters and Thriller on my car presets today but made me wonder if these typical Halloween songs get played on country or rock stations at all?

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

October 31, 2023 3:46 pm  #7

Also Monster Mash, the quasi-official song of Halloween. And one of the few to enter the Billboard Top 10 in two different decades, on its original release in 1962 and again in 1973. Not many songs have ever done that, outside of The Twist. 

October 31, 2023 5:55 pm  #8

November 1, 2023 11:28 am  #9

Going out dressed as a transistor radio? The mental image made me howl with laughter.  Did your parents snap any photos of you in your costume? That would be great to see.

November 1, 2023 11:33 am  #10

Nope. It was too long ago and nothing (thankfully!) survives beyond my own memory. It wasn't much of a costume. But it gave me an excuse to have CHUM and music on as I went down the various streets. Maybe that's why I remember it. 

November 1, 2023 1:01 pm  #11

What would have been funny is if people had given you CHUM Charts as "treats". Maybe not quite so funny to you, though. 

Last edited by Lorne (November 1, 2023 1:04 pm)

November 1, 2023 3:34 pm  #12

Actually, I'm probably the only kid who would have preferred that to candy! I still have an OK CHUM Chart collection, by no means complete, from when I used to collect them in the 60s and 70s. But none of them, as far as I know, came in a trick or treat bag!