sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2023 10:44 am  #1

1960 Report: CHUM-AM Should "Consider" 100,000 Watts Or New Frequency

I came across this report (in .pdf form) of a 1960 engineering report that explored how to let 1050 CHUM increase its power to 50,000 watts and where any new transmitter might have been located. I'm not a tech type, so some of it is lost on me, but there are indications the switch was not easy, due to the potential for interference with other stations at or near the 1050 frequency. 

Among the options for a new TX: The Toronto Islands (where a then non-rock CKFH had its own stick and where CHUM's was located at the time of the study,) Streetsville, and Jordan Harbour, which I have to admit I've never heard of, but is on "the south side of Lake Ontario."  But none of them seemed suitable to spreading the signal in the end, resulting in this remarkable suggestion:

"It is regrettable, therefore, that the North American Regional Broadcasting Agreement limits Class II stations (CHUM) to a maximum power of 50 kw. Perhaps there may be some merit in exploring whether the Department of Transport would choose to make a "Trial” notification, in this instance, in order to ascertain International reaction to proposed 100 kw operation."

Yes, the engineering firm suggested CHUM might think about 100,000 watts, despite the 50K restrictions. Amazing.

It also suggests that, because there was no apparently useful transmitter location to help with the desired power boost, the station should consider switching to a different frequency altogether. Imagine 1050 CHUM being called, say, 690 CHUM? It just doesn't sound right. But under the rules, there was nothing else available and so 1050 it remained. 

Be sure to scroll down to page 42, where an engineer representing CFRB objects to CHUM's power boost request due to possible interference. He cites WINS (1010) and WHN (1050) in New York as examples of what could go wrong, and even says the installation of filters may force CFRB off the air for a time. 

"Based on the experience at WINS and WHN, CFRB will be obliged to remain off the air intermittently for many nights over an extended period. Furthermore, at any time that readjustment of the CHUM antenna must be undertaken, there is always the risk that CFRB may be put to the repeated inconvenience of interrupting its operating schedule to accommodate the need for verifying the adjustment of the CHUM antenna system."

There are also submissions from WHN, arguing about CHUM's interference with its existing 1050 signal at night.

An amazing look back at a preliminary engineering report none of us have ever seen before.

See it here.

October 18, 2023 4:32 pm  #2

Re: 1960 Report: CHUM-AM Should "Consider" 100,000 Watts Or New Frequency

George Mather was an excellent "old school" engineer.  Somehow they bought a dumpy motel on Lakeshore Road and the land was a long rectangle. Mather figured out how to cram a six tower parallelogram array into that narrow strip.  That's what accounts for the 60 degree spacing of the north-south towers (normally around 90 degrees). Two towers were almost at the edge of Lake Ontario, and the ground system had to be run into the lake. The other brilliant part of the design is that the major lobe pointing to Toronto had much of the path over water. The conductivity of Lake Ontario is quite high CHUM was consistently stronger than CFRB because of that.
And to think that the patterns were probably hand-cranked using a slide rule (no personal computers in 1962, and not much in the way of time-share).
The night pattern remains unchanged to this day.
The referenced chimney I think was at St. Lawrence Cement, and I believe it was subsequently detuned with a wire skirt.
With regard to all the back and forth with various Canadian and American consultants, the shoe was on the other foot in 1970 when CFRB added two 550 foot towers and removed two of the shorter towers.  Now there are four 550 footers.
It's amazing the expense to which all these stations CHUM, CHFI-AM, and CKEY went in the quest of the holy grail of 50 kW.  Legend has it that the original nine tower CHFI patterns on Burnhamthorpe Road were tuned using helicopter measurements as well, and it took months.  The day power was only 1 kW at the outset.

October 18, 2023 5:54 pm  #3

The same source also published the original application for CHFI-FM (aka Rogers) asking for an AM station at 1540 on the AM dial. It's one of the few times an FM applied for an AM, rather than the other way around. And talk about irony - in an era when AMs would kill to get a rare frequency on the other band, you go back to 1961 and it was the exact opposite.

"This application for a daytime-only AM licence - for simultaneous FM programming - parallels the answer found in many American cities for strengthening the financial base of FM stations. With the entrance into the Toronto market of a competing commercial FM station supported by a well-established AM station, the time has come for this solution to be made available to CHFI to enable it to maintain its present programming standards." 

"...There is no more effective or economical way of promoting FM as a medium, FM listening, or FM stereo listening than through associated AM radio because it allows the station to reach the 85% of the people who do not yet own FM receivers."

My how times have changed!

Interestingly, they also promised to provide programming to other FM stations, as a means to promote the expansion of the band. 

And here's another surprise, as they explain why they picked 1540. There were at least three others available in Toronto for a daytimer: 810, 1190, and 1540. "We chose 1540 because the amount of land required for the antenna system was the smallest." 810 AM could have been a Toronto frequency in the early 1960s? What about WGY? Who knew?

There's a lot more here, including written objections from Allan Waters at CHUM, the owners of CHWO in Oakville and an outraged letter from CHIC in Brampton. 

CHFI Application For AM 1540

October 19, 2023 12:35 pm  #4

Fifty kilowatts was indeed the holy grail for some AM stations, especially the ones in big cities. If applied properly 50 KW would give the station more signal strength to overcome noise and interference. It also gave the station some 'bragging rights' about the big signal.

Some stations resorted to multi-element arrays with 8, 9, or 10 towers that made the signal pattern very directional and allowed the 50 KW signal without causing problems for others on that frequency. Sometimes the pattern put most of the signal over an unoccupied areas or lake. Many of these stations had to drop to 1 kilowatt or less at night. These tower arrays were relatively expensive to erect and maintain and required quite a bit of property. There are a couple of stations from Detroit that fall into this category. 1200 KHZ is one of them I believe. Another was / is WFLI 1090 Lookout Mountain, Tennessee.

At the end of the process, yes these guys could run 50 KW but given the costs versus the improvement in signal there was little utility in doing it.

FWIW, with respect to 1050 CHUM and living in Kitchener through the 60's and 70's, CHUM had a decent signal with its 10KW through the day, but we lost it at night. I don't know when CHUM went to 50 KW but I never detected any improvement in the signal.

And then there is ground conductivity. But that is a different subject.

Last edited by darcyh (October 19, 2023 12:35 pm)

October 19, 2023 1:01 pm  #5

CKFH in their Top 40 days spent a lot of space on the back on their weekly charts bragging about their own 50K power increase. As you noted, some stations made a big deal about it. 1430 was one of them. They never had the best signal and even after the increase, it didn't save them from oblivion. 

Nov. 16, 1970:

Dec. 14, 1970:

Jan. 1971:

October 19, 2023 1:10 pm  #6

Living in the K/W area back in the mid 70's, CFTR on 680 always came in louder and clearer than 1050 CHUM.  Not that CHUM was poor or anything but TR had a better signal, even at night with more bottom end than CHUM.  1050 was fine in the Guelph/Fergus area but weaker by the time you got to K/W.

Living in London in the 80's CFTR also was available in the daytime but with a weaker signal.  However London and area had a lot of good radio, so there really wasn't much need to tune in out of market stations anyway. 

Last edited by paterson1 (October 19, 2023 1:45 pm)

October 21, 2023 11:03 am  #7

Growing up in Oakville, in  the 60's CHUM had a very thin night signal. Always splatter from WHO and KYW. Before CKFH went to 50K in 1971, they were always dominated by WIRE in Indianapolis. After the power boost, the night signal was moderately listenable. By that time, my night listening had gone to WLS, WCFL and WABC.

October 21, 2023 11:22 am  #8

When I was growing up, hardly ever listened to CKFH.  It didn't really reach where I was living, even with 50,000 watts.  Always remember it having a noisy weak signal. 

Evenings I didn't really listen to the radio much unless in the car.  Spent my time watching TV after dinner, or out with friends.  Even back then, most radio listening was in the car.  My mother had the stereo on in the house all the time.  Tuned into CFRB in the morning, and then CKFM or CFCA, sometimes CHFI the rest of the day. 

October 21, 2023 11:34 am  #9

Just realized I did listen to radio a bit in the evening.  This was when I was doing homework at the dining room table and CKFM was usually on the stereo with the great Carl Banas.  Even as a teen I really liked Carl and most of his selections.  He was unique, great style and had a lot of freedom in what he played during his show.  I know we have mentioned this before but always enjoyed his classic "Sounds of Our Toronto" vignettes. 

October 22, 2023 9:37 am  #10

CHUM was ahead of its time in selecting Jordan Harbour, considering that CFTR, CFGM/CHOG/CFYI/C... etc, CKEY/CKYC/CJCL all ended up in Niagara to beam across the lake! And of course if CHUM did get 100 Kw, everybody else would have been clamouring for it. Also, the line in the CFTR app about there being nothing beside the Grimsby transmitter site is ironic, considering there are condos there now.