sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2023 11:08 am  #1

Does This CFRB Moment Qualify For A Make-Good?

A few days ago, I happened to be listening to NT1010's morning show, when John Moore was reading the tag to his weather forecast. In an extreme coincidence, he told listeners the weather was brought you by -- and at that exact second, the station's twice daily pattern change automatically kicked in, completely wiping out the sponsor's name and tagline.  

By the time the very short signal change was made, the spot was over and they moved onto other things. It's a one-in-a-million shot that it would have happened at that exact moment, but I wonder if either the sponsor or the station is even aware of what took place. The former would have had to be listening while I suspect the latter is monitoring CFRB's in studio output and may not even be aware of the fade out. 

If a sponsored tree falls in a pattern change forest and no one hears it but the listeners, does the advertiser get a do-over?

October 15, 2023 11:10 am  #2

Re: Does This CFRB Moment Qualify For A Make-Good?

It's pretty common to over-deliver on such things, knowing that mistakes and flukes like this will happen.

October 15, 2023 12:04 pm  #3

Technically I think it would, but you'd have to be made aware of it somehow.  Would a listener bitch about not hearing Frank Leo for the 8,000,000 th time this year?  I still can recite that traffic tag which was virtually the same.

With digital loggers, do they still grab the AM signal, or is it streamed somehow?  I'm still stuck in the days when a B77 open-reel deck was being used at 15/16 IPS, so I haven't changed a logger tape since ...lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 15, 2023 3:42 pm  #4

In my day, if this happened and either the on air person or management heard it, the station would have to make a "make good"  and pretty quickly.  Seriously, If I were the sponsor I would be a little upset. No big deal for the rest of us; but it sure is to the client whose paying for the sponsorship.

October 15, 2023 10:50 pm  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

Technically I think it would, but you'd have to be made aware of it somehow.  Would a listener bitch about not hearing Frank Leo for the 8,000,000 th time this year?  I still can recite that traffic tag which was virtually the same.

With digital loggers, do they still grab the AM signal, or is it streamed somehow?  I'm still stuck in the days when a B77 open-reel deck was being used at 15/16 IPS, so I haven't changed a logger tape since ...lol

Most digial loggers do capture the air feed because the CRTC wants to hear EXACTLY what aired.  Most also have the option to capture a board feed in case you want to repurpose the audio for a podcast or promo.

October 16, 2023 5:48 am  #6

Going to show my age but as I recall Wally Crowder would announce something like " Here comes (cant remember the engineers name) with his hard hat and hammer to make a signal change" and pause for the second(s) it took for change to be made,

October 16, 2023 6:06 am  #7

Calhame wrote:

Going to show my age but as I recall Wally Crowder would announce something like " Here comes (cant remember the engineers name) with his hard hat and hammer to make a signal change" and pause for the second(s) it took for change to be made,

His name was Bev Edwards. CFRB's pattern changes were so smooth, almost un-noticeable. At CKFH, when John Rode was doing mornings, he would sometimes make a comment about the pattern change. "Sorry, Accidentally kicked the plug out"