sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2023 9:25 am  #1

Major Milestone: Congrats To Members As SOWNY Hits 10,000 Topics

If you go to the very bottom of the SOWNY home page, you’ll see it at the right – an indicator noting how many topics have been posted on this board since Iain Grant resurrected it on May 28, 2015.

Now, eight long years later, you helped make it to a new milestone – 10,000 posted topics. Some have been serious – the Bell job cuts story comes to mind – while others have been fairly frivolous. Some got thousands of views, and others only a few.

But all of them are a tribute to you, the members and posters, who have helped keep the Board alive and thriving. So whether you read or write here, thanks for helping this little slice of the Internet be so successful. We may not always agree, but at least there are 10,000 good reasons to give you credit.

And hopefully more to come! 

September 22, 2023 9:35 am  #2

Re: Major Milestone: Congrats To Members As SOWNY Hits 10,000 Topics

Just out of curiosity, any idea what the top three most discussed topics might be. I suspect Bell layoffs might be up there.

September 22, 2023 9:44 am  #3

I'd have to go through all 10,000 to check, but I believe the Bell job cuts and the (pending) sale of CKOC and CHAM  was certainly one of them. Any big layoff or format change seems to understandably attract a lot of eyeballs.

So does the ongoing mystery that surrounds CFAJ 1220 AM, still not on air with regular programming now three weeks from their announced start date and three years from their original sign-on!

September 22, 2023 6:54 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

So does the ongoing mystery that surrounds CFAJ 1220 AM, still not on air with regular programming now three weeks from their announced start date and three years from their original sign-on!

Supposedly starting this coming Monday:
https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/entertainment/after-two-week-setback-new-niagara-station-cfaj-1220-am-debuts-monday/article_af495b28-0ab5-5b50-8522-d8ad6d5680d2.html

September 22, 2023 7:24 pm  #5

Congratulations RA.  Job well Done!!!

September 22, 2023 7:28 pm  #6

RonaldS wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Supposedly starting this coming Monday:
https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/entertainment/after-two-week-setback-new-niagara-station-cfaj-1220-am-debuts-monday/article_af495b28-0ab5-5b50-8522-d8ad6d5680d2.html

General manager Praveen Amirtharaj says a combination of “software issues” and a week-long internet outage forced the station to delay its first day.

Amateur hour.

September 22, 2023 9:06 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Just out of curiosity, any idea what the top three most discussed topics might be. I suspect Bell layoffs might be up there.

Posts about AM 640 and Sauga 960 seemed to have gotten a lot of eyes on them over the years, too. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

September 22, 2023 9:12 pm  #8

Congratulations to Dale Patterson, the OG creator of SOWNY, for his passion and vision.
Congrats also to Craig Smith, Iain Grant and of course RA for continuing this site. If I missed anyone in that group, my apologies.

September 23, 2023 3:21 pm  #9

I joined during Craig Smith's time.

One day at work I googled the name of a Toronto on-air personality and the big yellow board popped up. I was doing research for a piece I was writing, checked this place out and over the years have enjoyed reading the good, bad, NSFW and WTF posts from a wide variety of folks, even the argumentative curmudgeons who live to try to bait people.

Thanks to RadioActive and everyone who has kept and continues to keep this a forum for interesting news, trivia, observations on radio, television, the business of media, pop culture, life in general, and some truly nimble pun runs.

Congratulations on the milestone.👏😁

September 23, 2023 3:40 pm  #10

Back when Iain stepped down as moderator, Fitz, Dale, and RA combined to put together a nice summary of all of our moderators and their tenures in this role -- which I remember because it was in response to me trying to remember them all, but not quite doing so. So I thought that this summary might be worth looking up and posting here again.
https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16564#p16564
As someone who started visiting the forum a year or two after it began, I appreciate all that our moderators here have done throughout the years, and even more so ever since I took on the same role at The Oldies Music Board (which I also set up on Boardhost because of my regard for this forum).