sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2023 10:51 am  #1

Exposé Of Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show" A Very Disturbing Read

Bullying. Intimidation. The star's bad moods. Workers thinking of suicide.

Those are just a few of the stunning allegations contained in an exclusive Rolling Stone Magazine expose of the goings-on behind the scenes at the Jimmy Fallon-hosted "Tonight Show." 

Dozens of current and ex-employees charge the atmosphere on the NBC late night institution is so bad, many are losing sleep, having difficulty eating and even considering suicide. Part of it is laid at Fallon's feet but just as much is put on the show runners - a revolving door of executives over the years. 

"According to two current and 14 former employees, [i]The Tonight Show[/i] has been a toxic workplace for years — far outside the boundaries of what’s considered normal in the high-pressure world of late-night TV. They say the ugly environment behind the scenes starts at the top with Fallon’s erratic behavior, and has trickled down to its ever-changing leadership teams — nine showrunners in the past nine years — who seemingly don’t know how to say no to Jimmy..."

"...employees say they had nightmares related to work and were in a constant state of fear. One former employee says they had their first anxiety attack while working at the show and were put on anti-anxiety medication for the first time. Another employee says they felt physical ramifications of their declining mental health, like their hair thinning and weakened nail beds. Four other employees say they are in therapy because of their experiences. Three people say they experienced suicidal ideation as a result of the working environment."

Not that I was ever a fan, but after reading this, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch this show again. An eye-opening and very disturbing read. 

Chaos, Comedy, and ‘Crying Rooms’: Inside Jimmy Fallon’s ‘Tonight Show’

September 7, 2023 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Exposé Of Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show" A Very Disturbing Read

First Ellen, then James Corden, now Jimmy Fallon. It's almost as if "nice" talk show hosts are actually jerks in real life. 

Incidentally, Jay Leno, who I don't particularly find funny and who a lot of people, particularly comedians, dislike was apparently a really great boss who volunteered to take an unheard of 50% pay cut rather than layoff staff.  

Jay Leno once took a 50% pay cut on ‘The Tonight Show’—here’s why he would do it again 

Last edited by Hansa (September 7, 2023 12:45 pm)

September 7, 2023 1:13 pm  #3

Conan O'Brien was also well liked and regarded by the team of staffers on his show(s)...

Personally, I've never been a fan of the Fallon Tonight Show...  what I find off putting is that everything centres around Fallon...  from his guest interviews, to the game tributes that he plays with guests...  he in constantly inserting himself, and making sure the spotlight shines on him...  I think it is a sign of insecurity.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I will always consider Johnny Carson, and later David Letterman as the definitive hosts of late night television.  Carson, imo, knew when to let the guests run with something and he would let them shine. His recurring cast of characters from "The Mighty Carson Art Players" were his opportunity to have his outlet and often with a guest...  Betty White, Carol Wayne, and others.

Letterman's Late Night was purely counter television... when his show could take an accepted TV norm and flip it on its head, the show worked!...

Like Carson, Letterman knew how to conduct an interview with guests...  and how to back off and let the guests answer, or tell their story.  He still had ample opportunity to get his share of the jokes, just not all of them....  again, just my opinion.

September 7, 2023 1:30 pm  #4

With that opening..........

September 7, 2023 11:11 pm  #5

Conan has said a few times that he loved to act like a giant jerk to interns and low level employees and watch them clue into the fact that he was doing a bit.

There have been rumours of either drug use or alcoholism around Fallon for quite some time.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 7, 2023 11:48 pm)

September 7, 2023 11:54 pm  #6

September 8, 2023 2:00 am  #7

Glen Warren wrote:

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I will always consider Johnny Carson, and later David Letterman as the definitive hosts of late night television.  

I guess I'm showing my age too, because I wholeheartedly agree with you on that!

Of the more recent crop, I think Craig Ferguson was probably about the best. Just like Letterman, he knew how to take the talk show genre and turn it on its ear. Who doesn't love dancing horses and talking skeletons?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

September 8, 2023 7:54 am  #8

I've never really liked Fallon... as Glen Warren said, he makes everything revolve around himself. 
In his tribute show to Bob Barker, Drew Carey said Bob knew HE wasn't the star of the Price Is Right, the CONTESTANTS were... and he let them shine! Just like Carson, Letterman, Leno and few others.

I seem to recall in his first year as host of the Tonight Show, Fallon took a few days off and when he came back still had black eyes and bandages for a few days. Word was he was so drunk he fell and really did some damage to himself. Not sure if it was ever confirmed but that was the speculation at the time. 

September 8, 2023 8:44 am  #9

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I will always consider Johnny Carson, and later David Letterman as the definitive hosts of late night television.  

I guess I'm showing my age too, because I wholeheartedly agree with you on that!

Of the more recent crop, I think Craig Ferguson was probably about the best. Just like Letterman, he knew how to take the talk show genre and turn it on its ear. Who doesn't love dancing horses and talking skeletons?

PJ

Agreed. I was not a late night fan, per se, but I loved Ferguson's show. It was kind of the Pee Wee Herman equivalent of a 12:30 AM program - Geoff Peterson, a robot skeleton as the announcer, Secretariat, the dancing pantomime horse, flashing email at the camera for half a second, ripping up the questions before the guest came out, etc. etc. 

You never knew what they would do and it was as close to improv as I've ever seen. I still have the very last show on my DVR and have saved it all these years. There are samples of it on YouTube if anyone who never got the chance to see this very weird talk show wants to get a feel about what it was like. 

I was sad when it went off the air and I still miss it! 

And remember as the theme song said about staying up to watch and sleeping at work the next morning - "tomorrow's just your future yesterday."

Last edited by RadioActive (September 8, 2023 8:46 am)

September 8, 2023 8:49 am  #10

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

Yes!   Geoff the Skeleton!!!   with his TPIR name tag...classic....  Ferguson is also a personality who gets it.  I mean, he was comfortable talking with a prop skeleton... 

The Late Late Show was owned and produced for CBS by Letterman's company "World Wide Pants"  so it shared a lot of the same production styling and influences that made Letterman's other shows a success.

September 8, 2023 1:05 pm  #11

I have always felt a bit cringy watching Fallon, especially when I learned he is a serious alcoholic and doesn't seem to want to stop.
Not surprised if the toxic atmosphere includes alcoholic rants Fallon might not even remember.

September 8, 2023 2:23 pm  #12

I'm not a fan of The Tonight Show w/ Fallon by any stretch, but I can't imagine that this style of behaviour, and the alleged associated problems has just recently begun.  Perhaps the experiences and concerns have previously been reported to NBC or the private production company that oversees the show day to day.  But, now that they are out and public in a widely subscribed entertainment publication, I can't see  NBC not taking an active roll in investigating the situation further. 

While not entertainment programs, NBC was quick to suspend and later demote Brian Williams from NBC Nightly News for, shall I say, having and presenting a different version of events that he said he participated in while a journalist/reporter for NBC.

The actions/behaviour of Matt Lauer were more serious than those of Williams, but NBC quickly recognized the depth and harm of the allegations/situation to the affected staff and indeed all News staff,   and yanked Lauer off the air immediately, ultimately dismissing him.

Granted, Williams and Lauer were direct NBC employees, Fallon is not. He either has a contract with his own company (?), or is contracted/employed by Lorne Michael's "Broadway Video" production company.

You got to wonder, but I think Lorne Michael's phone has been quite busy these past 24 hours fielding calls from the NBC higher ups.......

September 8, 2023 3:56 pm  #13

There are claims now that these allegations are old and refer to how things were under previous showrunners- but that things are better now under current showrunner Chris Miller (this both shifts blame away from Fallon and away from the present). Unless more allegations come out I think it's unlikely Fallon will be pulled before the end of his contract in 2026. Whether or not his contract is renewed depends on if these stories have the same corrosive effect on Fallon's reputation and ratings as the stories about Ellen Degeneres had on her and her show. 

Late night ratings have been sliding generally over the past decade with Axios reporting in April that "across the top six late-night programs, ad revenue is down more than 50% since 2014, and more than 60% from its peak in 2016." And the Tonight Show under Fallon has done particularly badly, going from being the #1 show for most of Leno's tenure to #4 last December when Jimmy Kimmel, Colbert and Gutfeld all outperformed Fallon.  

Even without the toxic workplace stories, I think it's quite likely NBC will be considering replacing Fallon when his contract is up but if this story sticks to Fallon then he's almost certainly on his way out. 

Last edited by Hansa (September 8, 2023 9:12 pm)

September 8, 2023 6:16 pm  #14

Jimmy Fallon signed a five year contract back in 2021 so he will be around until 2026 unless NBC buys him out.  But prior to the strike, as Hansa mentions above, ratings for the show have been spinning down.  Even when NBC renewed his contract in 2021 he was always trailing Colbert and often Kimmel.  The network must like him since he also has That's My Jam on NBC which has had two seasons with 17 shows.

Looking at the credits one night, I noticed The Tonight Show had 22 writers!  Fallon was listed as one of them.  

September 10, 2023 2:47 am  #15

It sounds like BS but the networks claim that traditional ratings don’t matter for late night shows because they are now more concerned with bits going viral. Fallon has had many of those.

September 10, 2023 9:44 am  #16

Fallon has apologized after the article came out, saying he never realized people felt that way. But some viewers apparently aren't buying it.

On the other hand, there's already been pushback against the article and its tone. 

Jerry Seinfeld Says Rolling Stone Story Untrue That He Was Angry at Jimmy Fallon: “This is so stupid”