sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2023 8:17 pm  #1

Tropo Today

When I was in the car yesterday I picked up 93.9 from Windsor and when I got home I did not get Windsor but a few stations from Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Today I am getting a lot of stations from Cleveland and other parts of Ohio. Also picked up some stations from Chatham On and received Jack FM from London for the first time. 

DX fans should give it a shot. I did not give the TV antenna a go but that should be interesting. I am concentarting on the radio and I'm not sure how long this will last.

BTW whenever there is a tropo for some reason I get a distorted signal for CHFI at 87.7.  Would anyone know why that is ?

Also not related to the tropo but I noticed a new program on the Rock 94.9. Classic Rock Sunday with Jeff Woods.

Last edited by Fitz (September 3, 2023 8:21 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 3, 2023 9:22 pm  #2

Re: Tropo Today

Thanks for the tip. I'll check tomorrow. A week or two ago I was getting the NOAA station from Cleveland on my weather radio.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 3, 2023 9:31 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I'll check tomorrow. A week or two ago I was getting the NOAA station from Cleveland on my weather radio.

Might be gone by Tomorrow. Right now I am listening to Eagle 107.5 from Wheeling West Virginia. 

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 3, 2023 9:44 pm  #4

Fitz wrote:

BTW whenever there is a tropo for some reason I get a distorted signal for CHFI at 87.7.  Would anyone know why that is ?

You might be picking up an image frequency of CHFI's signal on 98.1 MHz.  Subtracting the 10.7 MHz intermediate frequency in the radio tuner would put it close by at 87.4.

September 3, 2023 10:05 pm  #5

Fitz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Might be gone by Tomorrow. Right now I am listening to Eagle 107.5 from Wheeling West Virginia. 

So, what are you using? Right now I'm in the basement with only a portable radio with no outdoor antenna. Not picking up anything unusual.

September 3, 2023 10:23 pm  #6

Dxers here and everywhere 800 miles radius from here have been having a blast with the tropo. I had just shy of shy of Kansas City and others from Missouri, Iowa, etc...Sept 1-2. This afternoon/evening Niagara area DXers had NC SC and Virginia. New Jersey had Illinois. Distances normally achieved via e-skip came in by tropospheric ducting. Lots of closer in stations in the 200-400 mile rage were also strong; that's what you folks (above) tapped into. About a week prior I pulled an all-nighter at Snowball ON (Dufferin and Hwy 9) and  had as far as Memphis!

September 3, 2023 10:40 pm  #7

So tomorrow I'll take one of my better radios outside and hope this is still happening.

September 3, 2023 10:46 pm  #8

turkeytop wrote:

Fitz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

So, what are you using? Right now I'm in the basement with only a portable radio with no outdoor antenna. Not picking up anything unusual.

Yes you will  need to get out of the basement and get a better tuner.  I am on the second floor and using a Sony HD radio that has excellent sensitivity and selectivity. I have a pair of rabbit ears connected to an amplifier. A twist of the antenna has gotten me more distant stations on common Buffalo frequencies like 104.1 and 98.5 and I even got something from the US on the Move FM frequency in Niagara,

In fact on 98.5 I even got a RDS reading and the HD indicator was blinking but never locked in. The station is from Cleveland. I have gotten it before a few years ago.

Tried a few times to post a pic of the RDS but no luck. May be a carryover problem from the one the site experienced earlier in the week.

Last edited by Fitz (September 3, 2023 10:58 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 4, 2023 12:01 am  #9

Plate Voltage wrote:

Fitz wrote:

You might be picking up an image frequency of CHFI's signal on 98.1 MHz.  Subtracting the 10.7 MHz intermediate frequency in the radio tuner would put it close by at 87.4.

Thank you for the explanation. Was a mystery to me.

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 4, 2023 12:05 am  #10

With Proud 103.9 permanently off the air, there's Woodstock's 103.9 or Erie's Star 104.  Either one will now be easier to pick up, I gather...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 4, 2023 2:52 pm  #11

Still something going as right now I am getting 93.9 Virgin radio from Windsor.

The 93.9 frequency is a good one to check out if something is happening  as the usual station to come in is the Wolf from Erie, Penn. 107.5 is another good one as the usual signals are Cool FM from Barrie, CBC Kingston and sometimes Dave Rocks from London and anything beyond those means more distant catches.

Edit: now getting Hot 107.5 from Detroit

Last edited by Fitz (September 4, 2023 3:32 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 4, 2023 5:25 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

With Proud 103.9 permanently off the air, there's Woodstock's 103.9 or Erie's Star 104.  Either one will now be easier to pick up, I gather...

For me downtown, 103.9 is now CBC Music Peterborough.

September 4, 2023 5:51 pm  #13

I got CKDK Woodstock at 103.9 Sunday night. First time I've heard it in years.

September 4, 2023 9:27 pm  #14

So, I tried it today outside. Nothing really long haul. I got stations from Erie PA, Youngtown OH, Anarbor MI and Wingham ON. Not exactly rare catches around here but it isn't typical. This was rare. I tried it this evening and I was getting CJRT. The first time I've ever got it out here in London.

Today I discovered by accident that reception is really enhanced when the radio's whip antenne is in contact with the metal umbrella pole.

September 4, 2023 9:50 pm  #15

I just got The Light FM from North Carolina at 10.6.9. Indicative of the coming demise of radio is the fact that there are now so many religious stations. I guess they grab the frequencies others can't afford.

This station apparently has a great transmitter location. This is my farthest catch on this current tropo.

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 4, 2023 9:53 pm  #16

And so the question has to be asked - what is your location? Are you in the GTA or just outside of it where there's perhaps less interference? And have you hooked this up to an outside antenna? I've tried to get what you're getting but most of it is just static.  

Anyway, congrats on pulling those in. Very impressive. 

September 4, 2023 9:53 pm  #17

Fitz wrote:

I just got The Light FM from North Carolina at 10.6.9. Indicative of the coming demise of radio is the fact that there are now so many religious stations. I guess they grab the frequencies others can't afford.

This station apparently has a great transmitter location. This is my farthest catch on this current tropo.

I'm going back out right now to try for that one.

September 4, 2023 9:55 pm  #18

turkeytop wrote:

I'm going back out right now to try for that one.

Oops. forget that. We have a local on 106.9.

September 4, 2023 10:21 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

And so the question has to be asked - what is your location? Are you in the GTA or just outside of it where there's perhaps less interference? And have you hooked this up to an outside antenna? I've tried to get what you're getting but most of it is just static.  

Anyway, congrats on pulling those in. Very impressive. 

I would attribute most of my success to the Sony HD tuner I am using that along with a Directed HD radio I have and they are my best for FM DX'ing. I use an indoor set of rabbit ears with a rotor, turning which will sometimes allow multiple stations on the same frequency. I have the antenna hooked up to an amplifier. The Sony has better sound than the directed and I think less adjacent station interference.

A good radio and antenna are essential but a car radio may also produce surprising results.

I am in Pickering about 8 minutes east of Scarborough. 

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 4, 2023 10:31 pm  #20

Fitz wrote:

A good radio and antenna are essential but a car radio may also produce surprising results.

Before I retired, I spent a lot of time driving the 401 between London and Windsor. That two hour drive time was my DX time on the car radio. I quite often got some rare DX catches.

September 5, 2023 11:35 am  #21

Dont know if its Tropo or just a good spot but my new trailer up north built in radio likes to pickup Boom 97.3 north of Honey Harbour in Muskoka with little fade outs during the day and locked in at night. 

September 5, 2023 11:50 am  #22

When I was just west of Hamilton, I could frequently get 107.3 when they were Smooth Jazz out of Ohio. Also 91.9 (used to be Bob FM) out of Lindsay would come in as would 98.9 from Kingston, 94.9 from Wingham, as well as many of the London stations.

107.5 Dave is actually out of Cambridge/Kitchener not London.

September 5, 2023 5:58 pm  #23

I will probably post a few clips of the DX catches recently.

This one is from Sept 2 and 3. Consists of stations mainly from Ohio, some on frequencies that have other nearby signals.

1. Rock 106.9 Canton Ohio WRQK
2. WFXJ The Fox Ashtabula, Ohio
3.. Jack 102.3 London
4. WNCX Cleveland 98.5
5. 106.9 WMIT The Light FM. Black Mountain, North Carolina
6. Magic 105.7 Cleveland 
7. Q 104.1 WQAL Cleveland
8. WREQ 97.1 Light Mix FM  Ashtabula, Ohio
9. CKSY 94.3. Chatham Kent

audio quality on the first station is not great but some come in quite well.

Will post more clips as time permits

Sept 2 and 3 DX

Last edited by Fitz (September 5, 2023 6:39 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 5, 2023 6:10 pm  #24

Fitz wrote:

6. Magic 105.7 Cleveland 

Impressive. CHRE comes in like a local for me downtown.

September 5, 2023 6:46 pm  #25

Fitz wrote:

This one is from Sept 2 and 3. Consists of stations mainly from Ohio, some on frequencies that have other nearby signals.

3.. Jack 102.3 London
4. WNCX Cleveland 98.5
6. Magic 105.7 Cleveland 

Sept 2 and 3 DX

What's your QTH?

September 5, 2023 6:52 pm  #26

turkeytop wrote:

Fitz wrote:

3.. Jack 102.3 London
4. WNCX Cleveland 98.5
6. Magic 105.7 Cleveland 

Sept 2 and 3 DX

What's your QTH?

Pickering, almost at the border of Scarborough.

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 5, 2023 7:30 pm  #27

Fitz wrote:

Wow. That's pretty impressive, then.

September 5, 2023 11:13 pm  #28

turkeytop wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Wow. That's pretty impressive, then.

This was really the first time I had tried to DX this summer and I would have probably missed this opportunity had it not been for the fact that I got 93.9 from Windsor while driving on Saturday afternoon. Last summer there was one day I was getting stations from Nebraska and North Dakota playing farm reports and I thought I was recording them but I did not press the record button on the reel to reel.

The pattern seems to have changed now and all that's available the last time I checked was Kingston, Brockville, Erie and various parts of NY state.

This is my current DX set up BTW. I am no longer able to post photos properly on the board so here is a link:

DX Setup 

Last edited by Fitz (September 5, 2023 11:14 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 6, 2023 12:13 am  #29

This is indoors, inside your house?

Last edited by turkeytop (September 6, 2023 12:44 am)

September 6, 2023 7:27 am  #30

turkeytop wrote:

This is indoors, inside your house?

Yes a temp set up which I move sometimes  and right now it is on the second floor. 

I see you had the same problem in posting the pic. Only an enlarged partial image appears.

Cool Airchecks and More: