sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2023 10:05 pm  #1

This Will Interrupt Every U.S. TV Channel & Radio Station In The U.S.

We've had some province-by-province emergency alert tests in Canada over the years, but the one coming to the U.S. this fall will be epic. Every single American TV channel and radio station will be interrupted by a test of the Emergency Broadcast System, the modern-day equivalent of that old test that used to terrify me when I was a little kid. 

Those were on individual TV stations at different times. This one will be on every television and radio broadcaster at the exact same time across the country, along with all cable outlets. 

I can't recall such a widespread test ever happening before, although it apparently has been done a few times over the years. This one will take place across all time zones on Wed., October 4th. In the eastern time zone, it will happen at 2:20 PM. 

Not only that, every cell phone down south will also be set to sound an alarm at the same time. Now THAT cacophony would be something to hear!

Here's the message Americans will see and hear:

“This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, covering the United States from 14:20 to 14:50 hours ET. This is only a test. No action is required by the public."

What could go wrong?

Massive emergency alert test will sound alarms on US cellphones, TVs and radios in October

August 28, 2023 9:06 am  #2

Re: This Will Interrupt Every U.S. TV Channel & Radio Station In The U.S.

I remember those EBS warnings back in the early 60's. They always seemed to appear during Saturday morning cartoons. I was always thankful "This has been a test. If this had been an actual emergency..." An actual emergency [for me] would have not being able to see the end of Underdog.

August 28, 2023 9:18 am  #3

We probably won't see the test on WIVB or WKBW. CITY simsubs General Hospital on ch 7. Global simsubs The Talk on ch 4.

August 28, 2023 10:29 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

We've had some province-by-province emergency alert tests in Canada over the years, but the one coming to the U.S. this fall will be epic. Every single American TV channel and radio station will be interrupted by a test of the Emergency Broadcast System, the modern-day equivalent of that old test that used to terrify me when I was a little kid. 

Those were on individual TV stations at different times. This one will be on every television and radio broadcaster at the exact same time across the country, along with all cable outlets. 

I can't recall such a widespread test ever happening before, although it apparently has been done a few times over the years. This one will take place across all time zones on Wed., October 4th. In the eastern time zone, it will happen at 2:20 PM. 

Not only that, every cell phone down south will also be set to sound an alarm at the same time. Now THAT cacophony would be something to hear!

Here's the message Americans will see and hear:

“This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, covering the United States from 14:20 to 14:50 hours ET. This is only a test. No action is required by the public."

What could go wrong?

Massive emergency alert test will sound alarms on US cellphones, TVs and radios in October

These national EAS tests for the current alerting system have been happening since 2011, The video below was from WGN-TV Chicago, where the test didn't go as well as it should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmywPDHkYA

The 2016 and 2021 national tests seemed to have run a bit better...

2016 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfyXdtNshRQ (WBZ-TV)

2019 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGlcjgGAUU (KTLA Los Angeles)

2021 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwpMMXXuxkw

Last edited by ED1 (August 28, 2023 10:31 am)

August 28, 2023 10:40 am  #5

ED1 wrote:

These national EAS tests for the current alerting system have been happening since 2011, The video below was from WGN-TV Chicago, where the test didn't go as well as it should have.

I heard that one on a small-market US station, and it did not go well. Distorted voice, multiple alerts playing over each other, etc. The daisy-chain approach creates a "weakest link" problem.

October 4, 2023 3:37 pm  #6

This happened on Wednesday and in some cases, freaked out people who somehow didn't hear about it. But of course, this being 2023, it didn't happen without a conspiracy theory or two being broached.

This has to be one of the all-time best ever, especially if you're a fan of the Walking Dead. You honestly couldn't make this up - although someone obviously did!

Conspiracy theorists fear Emergency Alert System test will turn the vaccinated into ‘zombies’ 

Excuse me now while I pause for a fresh flesh snack. 

October 4, 2023 3:52 pm  #7