sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2023 7:16 am  #1

Top 10 Canadian Rock Songs - Of 1966 & 1967!

Long before there was a CanCon requirement, there were still Canadian hits. Or so says a site called "Classic Rock History." That's what makes their list of the Top 10 Canuck hits of 1966 and '67 so unusual. I have to admit I've heard of some of the tunes they put in their Top 10, but not all of them. 

Some of the Guess Who? (with the question mark) songs are fairly obscure but worth a listen to hear them in their pre-Burton Cummings as lead days. And Bobby Curtola is well represented, as well. 

In any event, two unusual lists from British Invasion years when Canadians weren't really riding high on the charts, despite some of them getting airplay on stations like CHUM. 

Top 10 Canadian Rock Songs Of 1966

Top 10 Canadian Rock Songs of 1967

August 21, 2023 7:25 am  #2

Re: Top 10 Canadian Rock Songs - Of 1966 & 1967!

Apparently, this is part of a series. Here's the iist from 1968.

By the time you get to 1969, some of the songs are getting more familiar and by 1970, you likely know every one of them. 

August 21, 2023 10:05 am  #3

1966 #8 by The Staccato’s from “Vancouver”?? When did they leave Ottawa?

August 21, 2023 10:46 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Apparently, this is part of a series. Here's the iist from 1968.

By the time you get to 1969, some of the songs are getting more familiar and by 1970, you likely know every one of them. 

I didn't recognize any of the tunes from 1966 or 67.  1968 and 69 majority, but not all 10.

August 21, 2023 10:55 am  #5

I don't know about these so called top ten lists.  Whoever made them up seem to have a thing for Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Guess Who (?) and a few others. And some of these songs were hits where?  

No Mashmakhan- As The Years Go By,  Blood Sweat and Tears- You've Made Me So Very Happy, Edward Bear- You, Me and Mexico, R. Dean Taylor- Indiana Wants Me or The Archie's- Sugar, Sugar?  All of these from 1970!

And since the list seems so focused with The Guess Who and a few others, sort of odd it has American Woman as #1 for 1969.  Should have been 1970.

August 21, 2023 9:47 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

I don't know about these so called top ten lists.  Whoever made them up seem to have a thing for Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Guess Who (?) and a few others. And some of these songs were hits where?  

No Mashmakhan- As The Years Go By,  Blood Sweat and Tears- You've Made Me So Very Happy, Edward Bear- You, Me and Mexico, R. Dean Taylor- Indiana Wants Me or The Archie's- Sugar, Sugar?  All of these from 1970!

And since the list seems so focused with The Guess Who and a few others, sort of odd it has American Woman as #1 for 1969.  Should have been 1970.

I didn't think much of the lists and really wondered about some of the years too, until I saw that Millie Zeiler had a rather strange tendency to assign the songs to the years recorded rather than when they were hits (if they even were hits). That's how "American Woman" ended up in 1969. That's also actually the year that "You've Made Me So Very Happy" and "Sugar, Sugar" belong to as well, but it may be that those artists weren't considered to be Canadian enough by Zeiler. However, that certainly doesn't explain the absence of "As The Years Go By" or "Indiana Wants Me" ... I completely agree that Zeiler seems to have just had a thing for certain artists and prioritized that over actual chart access or any other discernible criteria.

August 22, 2023 12:24 am  #7

The Guess Who's version of Flying on The Ground is Wrong had Burton Cummings on lead vocals and it was released about 10 months after The Buffalo Springfield original which was penned by Neil Young but the lead vocal was by Richie Furay. NY was somewhat mic shy and Richie took the lead on several NY songs on the debut. 

Th Springfield and the Band should make the cut as cancon and would have been nice to see them on the list but looking at the lists no surprise they were left off. Was nice to see the Paupers on the list though.

Edit: I had not looked that carefully at the 1967 list. Was nice to see The Collectors, Kensington Market and Half Past Midnight on that list.

Here is the Guess Who version which was post Burton Cummings but pre These Eyes and mega North American Success.:

Last edited by Fitz (August 22, 2023 12:48 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 22, 2023 11:43 am  #8

Came across this on a Facebook page about Toronto's past. It's from 1964 and it was apparently held at Maple Leaf Gardens. Note that CKEY and Johnny Lombardi were behind the concert. Talk about your strange bedfellows. 

August 22, 2023 4:54 pm  #9

Interesting lists. But I'm surprised "Gaslight" by the Ugly Ducklings and "Canada" by the Sugar Shoppe and/or the Young Canada Singers, didn't make the 1967 list, and I don't see "I Would Be The One" by Kensington Market on the '68 list. And forget when it was recorded, "American Woman" was a 1970 hit, not 1969.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram