sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2023 2:19 pm  #1

How To Watch L.A. TV Stns. Going All Out For Hurricane Storm Coverage

As terrible as what's going on in the Northwest Territories and Kelowna is, they're relatively small towns with limited media resources. Which is why it's fascinating to watch the coverage from a major market like Los Angeles, which has staff working overtime on the weekend to cover the approach of the first hurricane to hit the west coast since 1939.

KNBC-TV L.A. has had wall-to-wall coverage all morning and I expect they'll be on for some time. Traffic reports, chopper shots, live hits from the streets, sandbag fillings, weather updates and surfers flocking to the beach to catch the high waves (only in Southern California!) are part of the endless news parade. They even did a fascinating segment on how they're getting the word out to the homeless, who, of course, would likely have no idea what's on its way.

If you're curious, you can watch it with a VPN live online. 

August 20, 2023 5:04 pm  #2

Re: How To Watch L.A. TV Stns. Going All Out For Hurricane Storm Coverage

Waiting for some Katrina-style "They're spit-roasting babies in the Superdome" coverage.

Last edited by Chrisphen (August 20, 2023 5:04 pm)

August 20, 2023 5:40 pm  #3

Some channels are also live-streaming on Youtube. I’m watching ABC7 out of Los Angeles, I believe, and the governor of CA is giving a news conference right now. The ASL interpreter is great and looks a lot like the actor Bobby Cannavale!

Last edited by Capricasix (August 20, 2023 7:37 pm)

August 20, 2023 8:18 pm  #4

Wow, talk about a double whammy. In the midst of the Tropical Storm/flooding disaster comes word they also had a 5.1 Richter scale earthquake in California.

I'd say when it rains it pours, but they have quite enough of that already!

August 20, 2023 8:22 pm  #5

I’ve been following this with interest since I vacation in Southern California. I’ve been watching KFMB, CBS 8 San Diego through their app - they’ve pushed an NFL preseason game to their .2 CW channel in order to show live coverage. I also get KTLA on cable and was checking out their coverage earlier.

It looks like the worst of it right now is around Palm Springs.

It’s very much unprecedented for that area.

August 20, 2023 8:27 pm  #6

Meteorologists have said Palm Springs could get 2 years - years! - worth of rain in just 48 hours, amid hard rock desert soil that can't absorb any of it. That's simply unfathomable.

August 20, 2023 8:30 pm  #7

And let's also give due props to KNX-A/F too. As an all-news station, you KNOW they're going to be on it. I'm listening to them as I'm typing this.

Last edited by ckg927 (August 20, 2023 8:32 pm)

August 20, 2023 8:54 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Meteorologists have said Palm Springs could get 2 years - years! - worth of rain in just 48 hours, amid hard rock desert soil that can't absorb any of it. That's simply unfathomable.

KFMB has a reporter who has been live in Palm Springs, there’s flooding all over and the reporter has been struggling to stand in the high winds.

Being a border station, they’ve also shown the flooding in neighbouring Tijuana.

I’ve hiked in Joshua Tree National Park which is just north of there, it’s all rock, and it’s normally a very dry area. I can imagine that area will be hard-hit, and I do wonder how the Joshua trees and various cacti will hold up.

August 20, 2023 10:21 pm  #9

When there's major local breaking news most of the big 3 affiliates will stream their live coverage on their websites as well.

August 21, 2023 8:41 am  #10

I keep telling you guys you should move up to God's country.  My Eastlink digital cable package includes KTLA.  Wow! An earthquake and flooding simutaneously.  That must be a media adrenaline rush.
I've been sticking to CBC News Network, for its wall-to-wall coverage of Yellowknife and Kelowna.  The full two hours of Cross Country Checkup was on TV yesterday, and on Friday and last night, CBCNN stuck with it until 10pm, preempting the 9pm version of The National.