sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2023 9:32 am  #31

Re: How Does This Stuff Keep Happening On Air?

August 21, 2023 9:40 am  #32

Capricasix wrote:

I offer the pronunciation of the town of Erin, which, as anyone from the area will know, is pronounced Ee-rin. Not Errin!

My late grandparents, born in Dufferin County in the early 1900s, pronounced Toronto “Trawna”.

I’m pretty sure I heard Rahim Ladhani pronounce “skewed” as “skooed” on last night’s 6 pm newscast. I don’t remember what the story was, though.

I would have called it Errin. I live in Trono and I have given American tourists directions to Yun-gee St and Strach-nn Ave.

August 21, 2023 10:02 am  #33

Capricasix wrote:

I offer the pronunciation of the town of Erin, which, as anyone from the area will know, is pronounced Ee-rin. Not Errin!...

OK,  but, in grade school we had a classmate who was Irish, and her name was Erin...  spelled Erin, and pronounced Errin...  not Ee-rin....

toi toi toi

August 21, 2023 4:04 pm  #34

I have a friend who grew up there, his mom was the reeve at one point. The locals call it ear in. 

August 21, 2023 8:21 pm  #35

I just heard another one, this time on CFRB - and it's completely inexplicable. Guest host Richard Crause is subbing for Jim Richards on NewsTalk Tonight, which goes across the country. His 8PM guest was Vassy Kapelos, finally back on the beat after several weeks off and covering the federal cabinet meeting in P.E.I.

Except he kept calling her Vassy Kalepos - reversing the "P" and the "L" in her name. The fact he said it wrong several times in a row tells me he doesn't know or remember her name. And he works at the station! Pretty embarrassing, but to her credit, she didn't correct him on air. 

August 21, 2023 9:46 pm  #36

RadioActive wrote:

I just heard another one, this time on CFRB - and it's completely inexplicable. Guest host Richard Crause is subbing for Jim Richards on NewsTalk Tonight, which goes across the country. His 8PM guest was Vassy Kapelos, finally back on the beat after several weeks off and covering the federal cabinet meeting in P.E.I.

Except he kept calling her Vassy Kalepos - reversing the "P" and the "L" in her name. The fact he said it wrong several times in a row tells me he doesn't know or remember her name. And he works at the station! Pretty embarrassing, but to her credit, she didn't correct him on air. 

*chuckles* Perhaps you meant Richard Crouse ? : )) .. 

August 21, 2023 11:26 pm  #37

Touche! But at least I didn't spell it wrong on air!

August 22, 2023 10:26 am  #38

The late John Michael on CKTB always used to joke that the then-Toronto mayor was deliberately mispronouncing his own name and that it was really "Art Eglington." It was a complete fiction and he made no secret of that fact, but he said it so often, I always wondered if anyone believed him. 

August 22, 2023 11:05 am  #39

mic'em wrote:

I have a friend who grew up there, his mom was the reeve at one point. The locals call it ear in. 

To bring it back to radio, didn’t the Motts have a farm/studio near Eerin?

August 22, 2023 12:38 pm  #40

During my time at Mix 97 in Belleville in the early 2000s, the news director at the time always messed up whenever U.S. defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld came up in his afternoon newscasts - the long-time ND pronounced it "Rums-Field". I was in the studio with Mix's then-afternoon host, the late Joey Martin, who heard the ND butcher Rumsfeld, and yelled off-air "IT'S RUMSFELD!!!"