sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2023 5:19 pm  #1

Stingray Bringing Back AM Sports Radio To Edmonton

Stingray announced today it will launch Sports 1440 next month in Edmonton.  Details from Broadcast Dialogue..
https://broadcastdialogue.com/stingray-bringing-sports-radio-back-to-edmonton/

August 14, 2023 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Stingray Bringing Back AM Sports Radio To Edmonton

Almost certainly a leased time agreement, but hey, whatever it takes.

August 14, 2023 5:43 pm  #3

CKJR has already changed their website but are still playing the oldies format until 7am September 5th. The station is located 70km south of Edmonton in Wetaskiwin  but at 10,000 watts covers the Alberta capital. Notice the colour of Sports 1440 logo is the same as the Oilers.
https://www.sports1440.ca/

August 14, 2023 5:55 pm  #4

Not a terrible idea, really.

They'll likely not participate in ratings, but that's not what sells sports radio.

Stingray was probably thankful for the $39 and reminder that the station exists.

Last edited by RadioAaron (August 14, 2023 5:55 pm)

August 14, 2023 6:51 pm  #5

What's the old saying, you can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear. I've been to the mountain folks (PD/AM drive/sales) and the 1440 frequency has not been a viable commodity. The only thing that was worth salt was the R.J. Tompkins Ukrainian show.
Locals don't listen since Edmonton signals bombard Wetaskiwin. Edmontonians won't since the 1440 signal doesn't cover the capital. I even tried to get the owners to agree re-apply for a "Christian" format before there was even such a thing going in Canada. However the CRTC could NOT give me enough answers to do the paperwork because THEY didn't have the answers. Well at least Jackie knows how to program (CFCW) and whether the staff works in Wetaskiwin or remotely in Edmonton the station will make a minor splash on the air-waves, like the Edmonton Elks this year BUT their best hope is streaming and Stingray
Sometimes, like Mama Carleson wanted, the (radio) station was meant to be a tax right-off.

August 14, 2023 6:57 pm  #6

I am saddened as I listened to this station on my internet radio.  It played a lot of Canadian gold including The Staccatos from Ottawa.
I would think they would join all kinds of play-by-play networks.

August 14, 2023 7:01 pm  #7

I note the Broadcast Dialogue refers to "TSN 590 (CJCL)" in Toronto.   I guess nobody  is listening to 1050-CHUM these days

August 14, 2023 7:05 pm  #8

NW wrote:

I note the Broadcast Dialogue refers to "TSN 590 (CJCL)" in Toronto.   I guess nobody  is listening to 1050-CHUM these days

It also says Toronto and Montreal are the only TSN stations left. Ottawa's still going.

August 14, 2023 7:12 pm  #9

If this were a serious Stingray project, it would be on 840AM with an announcement that the Oilers were moving from CHED to 840/97.3