sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2023 2:43 pm  #1

ELMNT FMs In Toronto & Ottawa Threaten To Close Down If...

...certain benefits the stations rely on aren't immediately increased. 

Not that I want them to disappear, but this means, if it happens, a rare FM frequency (106.5) could come open in Toronto. It would be fascinating to see who wants it and who gets it. 

ELMNT FM stations say they’ll be forced to close without further support

August 9, 2023 4:00 pm  #2

Re: ELMNT FMs In Toronto & Ottawa Threaten To Close Down If...

Wouldn't the CRTC require a new station to also be Indigenous focussed? Of course, if Evanov could be granted a licence foe an LGBT station I guess some corporate broadcaster could bid for an Indigenous station.

Last edited by Hansa (August 9, 2023 4:06 pm)

August 9, 2023 4:13 pm  #3

I would think an Indigenous format would get the nod - but I have to believe they'd have to first prove a business case for the existence of such a station. ELMNT FM is (and maybe was) a good idea, but it doesn't do much if no one is listening to it.

And back when we could still get numbers out of Numeris, it was always at the bottom of the pack, with maybe a 0.1. Who's going to want to take on a money loser in this economy? 

August 9, 2023 7:19 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I would think an Indigenous format would get the nod - but I have to believe they'd have to first prove a business case for the existence of such a station. ELMNT FM is (and maybe was) a good idea, but it doesn't do much if no one is listening to it.

And back when we could still get numbers out of Numeris, it was always at the bottom of the pack, with maybe a 0.1. Who's going to want to take on a money loser in this economy? 

All this, plus also, this has already been the second attempt in Toronto at an Indigenous radio station. 
If there is a third, who would go to bat for it?? 
106.5 is lucky someone gave it a second life in the first place...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 9, 2023 8:13 pm  #5

An indigenous station is a good idea but the approach was wrong.

A commercial mainstream pop station with some indigenous music and some indigenous hosts was never going to work.

It should be a non-commercial station, mostly indigenous, funded through grants, corporate underwriting, and listener donations. The FM should be secondary to a robust streaming a podcast offering.

They'd bring in more in a month than Elmnt has in its entire existence.

August 9, 2023 8:14 pm  #6

My guess is if the CRTC offers it up again, it will almost have to be Indigenous, in order to satisfy this government's diversity and reconciliation requirements. The real question is whether anyone would apply for it knowing similar efforts have failed twice.

But there's probably someone out there who will. 

Either way, ELMNT isn't done yet, and my other guess is they'll get bailed out before anything happens. I can't see the feds allowing this to fail, even if it doesn't make any money.

August 9, 2023 9:12 pm  #7

The biggest issue of ELMNT FM in Toronto remains to be the signal issue, as the co-channel interference with WYRK in Buffalo is audible in many parts throughout the GTA, especially areas near the Lake Ontario shoreline, exacerbated by the HD signal switch-off a few months earlier. Listeners won't consistently tune into a station with frequent cut-ins of another signal, unless it moves to another frequency, which is virtually impossible considering the crowdedness of FM band in GTA nowadays. 

The music selection is another issue of ELMNT FM in both cities, as the music being played are overwhelmingly CHR pop tracks, which can be heard similarly on four or five other music stations. Even though there are occasional rap songs or songs composed by indigenous artists being thrown into the playlist, it is not compelling enough for listeners to consistently stick with the station. Indigenous stations on west coast such as Journey FM in Vancouver and CJWE/CFWE in Alberta seems to be doing a much better job in terms of incorporating unique rock or country music into their mandated indigenous content. ELMNT FM could hardly survive for another few more years even with grants provided by the government, unless there is a significant change in content and signal upgrade.