sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2023 12:54 pm  #1

This potential does not bode well for OTA viewers...

What happened to the old 8~10 dish satellite signals when the uplinks were 'scrambled' using Videociper II technology, which effectively killed so-called free viewing, may be on the horizon for OTA TV channels.

Click on this link to read all about it

August 2, 2023 1:06 pm  #2

Re: This potential does not bode well for OTA viewers...

I've heard about this, another part of the 3.0 menace that no viewer asked for. 

But I have to think if they tried to scramble signals sent over the public airwaves (as opposed to satellite) and then charge a fee for them, the outcry would be so loud, even the moribund CRTC would hear it. I feel certain the exact same thing would happen in the U.S. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should or will be allowed to. 

Though I'm sure the Bells and Rogers of the world would love to scrape more money out of our wallets, I just can't see this being allowed to happen here.

But then this IS the CRTC, so you never know...

August 2, 2023 3:34 pm  #3

Sure, let them go ahead and try it...  They would end up being a discretionary service.

I'm sure many of the current viewers would then exercise their own discretion to...

i)  not bother upgrading their present equipment to ATSC 3.0 ( as required)

ii) not bother spending a monthly fee to watch the current programming offerings...

August 2, 2023 3:59 pm  #4

Some members here have Android boxes. One of my friends has one and he gets all the commercial network affilliates from probably the top 60 U.S. markets. I checked the Rabbitears site for currently scrambled signals. Some of them include LA; KCBS/KNBC. SF: KPIX/KNTV.  Boston: WBZ/WCVB/WBTS. D.C.: WRC. Buffalo: WKBW.  Are any of these channels still viewable on your Android boxes?

August 2, 2023 7:25 pm  #5

If any of the local OTA stations ever tried this, it would just put the final nail in the coffin of broadcast TV. They've already lost huge audiences to streaming (and to a lesser extent cable) and if they tried to pull the rug out from under those getting shows for nothing since the 1950s, I'm sure most would desert it forever. 

After all, if you have to pay for TV, would you rather get Netflix or a 10th rerun of The Batchelor? Seems like an easy choice to me. The Emmy Award nominees are already almost all streaming shows. If they want to kill the Golden Goose even faster, this is the perfect way to do it.