sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2023 9:24 am  #1

Ryerson's CJRU-AM 1280 Gets New Call Letters & "Met Radio" Rebranding

It's part of the former Ryerson University distancing itself from its old name, with the "RU" obviously standing for the school. So CJRU is now CJTM, after Toronto Metropolitan University and it's branding itself as "The Met."

Its format remains relatively the same as does its incredibly weak signal on 1280. It barely reaches beyond the downtown core but is meant as more of a training ground for students enrolled in its famed Radio & TV Arts course.

"Met Radio provides a mix of music, news, and talk programming, with a focus on promoting local artists, activists, and community groups. The station will continue to serve as a training ground for TMU students interested in broadcasting, digital media and journalism," the school notes in a press release, which you can read here

July 27, 2023 11:12 am  #2

Re: Ryerson's CJRU-AM 1280 Gets New Call Letters & "Met Radio" Rebranding

Too bad they can't get a digital channel piggy backed on an existing FM broadcaster. I guess the commercial stations aren't charitable enough to do that but you'd think CIUT or CHRY would be willing to collaborate in that way -ie get some funding from TMU to set up digital channels on their transmitter in exchange for letting CFTM use one of the channels.

July 27, 2023 11:52 am  #3

It would cost anyone transmitting from First Canadian Place, upwards of $18,000 a year, (rental to Brookfield), plus additional HD upgrade costs, licence fees to the IBOC software company, etc, etc. to provide an HD2, 3 or 4 channel to MET.
Probably $25-$30K a year, no one is too charitable these days, with revenues slumping/plummeting.  I doubt there would be anyone charitably inclined these days.  

It might be possible given CIUT's non-commercial status that Brookfield might negotiate a deal (they are tough cookies), but the transmitter upgrade costs for HD, plus engineering and regulatory costs, would probably be insurmountable for CIUT, much less MET.   Going IBOC HD is not cheap nor easy.

Last edited by tvguy (July 27, 2023 11:55 am)

July 27, 2023 12:32 pm  #4

The AM signal's not really meant to be listened to, per se. (I wonder how many of the students drive to campus? Wouldn't be surprised if it's zero) It serves to add a layer of realness to the program - picking new call-letters as part of this rebrand being a good example.

More importantly, it makes their streaming music royalties being based on a radio simulcast rather than an originating stream.

Last edited by RadioAaron (July 27, 2023 12:32 pm)

July 27, 2023 12:57 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

The AM signal's not really meant to be listened to, per se. (I wonder how many of the students drive to campus? Wouldn't be surprised if it's zero) It serves to add a layer of realness to the program - picking new call-letters as part of this rebrand being a good example.

More importantly, it makes their streaming music royalties being based on a radio simulcast rather than an originating stream.

Exactly my words...  It's only to be able to say they are a "REAL" station vs playing radio on the internet.  They are also a community station, so it would get them some funding that is available.   The AM signal is only the foundation for other things.   

Last edited by radiokid (July 27, 2023 12:58 pm)