sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2023 7:22 am  #1

This Show Is The Most Irritating Thing On CTV's Primetime Schedule

So I'm in a hotel room in Peterborough as I type this. Last night, with very little worth watching other than reruns or 4th of July coverage on the major networks, or a ball game on Rogers Sportsnet, my wife, the avid TV watcher, decided on what has to be the most painful to watch program on CTV's summer schedule. I'm talking about "The Amazing Race Canada", and I was stuck in the room for the entire 65-minute time slot... the show was scheduled to end at 10:05pm, with The Big Bang Theory following it.

Not only is TARC as full of B.S. Canadiana as Tim Hortons, it is loaded with the most obvious, in-your-face and annoying product/brand placements, and that's what completely turns me off of this show. From what I remember, not even the American original on CBS is that bad. An example of these ridiculous product placements, seen *and* also described in a VO by the host, involved having to use one of the newest models of cell phones (on the Bell network, of course) to take a picture for the next clue.

This was my first and last time watching The Amazing Race Canada. If the product/brand placements weren't so obvious and didn't stick out like a teenager's pimples, I might have watched a bit more. But as it is, this show is the most irritating thing on CTV. Even those Bell Let's Talk specials are less annoying than The Amazing Race Canada.

July 5, 2023 7:26 am  #2

Re: This Show Is The Most Irritating Thing On CTV's Primetime Schedule

It's also responsible for the worst promo spot in years, airing constantly on CFRB, in which a guy screams "Amaaaaaazing!" in your ear for what feels like an hour. I'm a not a fan of reality TV of any kind but this one commercial is enough to not only make me want to skip this show, but 1010 entirely just so I never have to hear it again. 

July 5, 2023 7:39 am  #3

The American version should take notes from the Canadian version.
We are in a world now where viewers record and fast forward through commercials.
Product placement, as much as possible is the best way to secure revenue.
It forces the viewer to watch the program and see the product in action. (or in simple placement, like that energy drink they keep showing, but nobody ever really drinks...)  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 5, 2023 8:01 am  #4

I'm a fan of "The Amazing Race Canada" and yes the product placement ads are irritating, mainly because they are not so subtle.  However, my wife and I like how the program highlights so many interesting locations in Canada. No other program does so.  The business most of us on this board have been in (radio & TV) is based upon advertising.  Although not quite so in your face, you see it on baseball, hockey, a number of Global programs, and just about every web page you go to.  It's the thing that pays the bills and in Canada, probably the only way a program like TARC gets financed.

By the way, I drinking a Tim Horton's coffee and using an Acer computer connected to Bell Fibe internet as I type this)  

July 5, 2023 8:03 am  #5

Over the years I have watched Amazing Race Canada maybe three times.  The production is fine and generally well done.  I am not a big fan of reality programming (other than home improvement shows) and most game shows.  Survivor after all these many years I have watched about the same, 3 or 4 episodes, never liked the show.  Too fake.

The one thing that I particularly don't like about the CTV offering is the host Jon Montgomery.  I know he is an Olympic hero, won a gold medal in Vancouver, and famously drank and chugged beer with fans on the street after his big win.  All good.

What I don't like is his fake "radio voice" that he has when announcing on the show, especially voice overs. I thought somebody eventually would point this out to him and get it corrected. But no, 9 years later it is still there. 

I have heard him in interviews and he sounds normal.  But as soon as he does a promo or reads material for the show, out comes "Randy Radio."   So it is not Jon so much but rather the "professionals" on the show that should have helped him to get rid of this annoying fake radio voice.

One interesting fact is that Jon also is a professional auctioneer.  So even though announcing and the style of an auctioneer are totally different, maybe this is a factor.  Still it shouldn't be a big problem to correct the fake voice we hear on Amazing Race Canada. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 5, 2023 8:09 am)

July 5, 2023 8:24 am  #6

Forward Power wrote:

I'm in a hotel room in Peterborough as I type this   

Did you book it thru Trivago and get the $249 room for $199?      

July 5, 2023 8:38 am  #7

In Phase wrote:

connected to Bell Fibe internet as I type this 

Sorry to hear that! You could have gotten a much better deal through rogers.
Switch today and get 6 months of Disney plus for free also!! YAY!

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 5, 2023 6:47 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 5, 2023 8:59 am  #8

With the coming fall schedule possibly being nothing but re runs due to the ongoing labor disruption with writers and actors, reality shows might  be the only new programming available. I am looking forward to the new version of Justified on FX beginning later this month. 

July 5, 2023 9:06 am  #9

georgio1 wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

I'm in a hotel room in Peterborough as I type this   

Did you book it thru Trivago and get the $249 room for $199?      

HA! Actually booked it direct through the chain's website for $179.

July 5, 2023 9:17 am  #10

Sorry, but Farming for Love is by far the worse waste of a weekly hour on CTV.

July 5, 2023 5:37 pm  #11

There was one year where Amazing Race Canada went to locations outside of Canada. Are they still doing that this year or has their budget been limited to just Canadian locations?

July 5, 2023 9:48 pm  #12

This came up last year, too.

I find the show good mindless entertainment. The production values are good, and the contestants are incredibly well cast.

The ad integrations are so obvious and gratuitous that I'm fine with them. They're not trying to fool anyone and this model is increasingly necessary and fine for an unserious show.

July 6, 2023 10:17 am  #13

I watched the first episode last night via my PVR. I didn't find the product placement to be an issue. This show is likely based on sponsorship money to be produced, I can only imagine the expense involved . This season has some interesting contestants, including a fellow who is a double amputee and competing on artificial legs, also another young man who survived the Humboldt bus tragedy, and the professional wrestling Canadian icon Gail Kim, who unfortunately was eliminated in the first segment, through no fault of her own. I will watch the entire run, and good luck to all those trying to win the The Amazing Race Canada. 

Last edited by mic'em (July 6, 2023 10:17 am)