sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2023 11:25 am  #1

Sunday Night Sex Show's Sue Johanson Has Passed

She was Canada's version of Ruth Westheimer and she was a fixture here on both radio and TV. Sue Johanson, who pioneered plain talk about the subject of sex and pulled no punches on the topic, has passed away. She was 93.

Sue Johanson, beloved Canadian sex educator, dead at 93

June 29, 2023 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Sunday Night Sex Show's Sue Johanson Has Passed

I remember how she would show the audience one of her sex toys. Afterwards, instead of setting it down, she would continue talking with it in her hand, absentmindely stroking it or slapping it against her face.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 29, 2023 10:18 pm  #3

June 30, 2023 12:08 am  #4

Sue was an important part of my TV Show - pilot 1 - CBC Net. We did the show in Vancouver but Sue did her segment from her home in Toronto. It was her first exposure to TV and she won everyone over. 

I remember one bit she did where I about ran over to English Bay and just kept running into the sea. 

Sue opened the bit - "this week we're going to talk about female masturbation." As she spoke those words she walked into her home kitchen. Opening the fridge door and just as the "female masturbation" words were spoken, she took the biggest greenest cucumber from her fridge. Handling it very carefully and somewhat seductively....

She carried on from there. Good Night dear Sue. And Godspeed!

Last edited by Marsden (June 30, 2023 12:11 am)

July 2, 2023 10:40 am  #5

I had the opportunity to work with Sue at Q-107.  She had the greatest sense of humor.  David writes about her being on his TV show.  Later she would be a regular guest on Letterman.  A very bright savvy woman indeed.