sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2023 10:08 pm  #1

This New Torturous Radio Spot Literally "Screams" Cover Your Ears

It's brand new and they could torture spies with it. It's a commercial for something - I'm not even sure what - a travel agency? An airline? Whatever it is, it involves a mother apparently picking her kid up from school and telling her -surprise! - they're going to Cancun on vacation and they're leaving right now.

The kid then lets out the loudest, most annoying and aggravating headache-inducing scream I think I've ever heard. To make matters worse, I was wearing headphones the first time I heard it. It's so bad, it makes the Tom's Place spiel bearable. Who thought having a shrill, loud and too-long high-pitched scream in your ear was a good way to sell anything?

I hope whatever this is, it has a short shelf life. Because my patience with it is already gone. Honestly, it should come with a listener warning advisory.

This could be one of the worst commercials I've ever heard. And I've heard Spence and Omni Jewelcrafters!

June 16, 2023 3:30 am  #2

Re: This New Torturous Radio Spot Literally "Screams" Cover Your Ears

RadioActive wrote:

Honestly, it should come with a listener warning advisory.

As the young'uns say in their YouTube/TikTok/whatever videos, "RIP headphone users".

June 16, 2023 10:56 am  #3

Is it as annoying as the "FUN WOW!!! " kid in the Fantasy Island television ads in the early 1960's?

June 16, 2023 11:06 am  #4

Don't remember that spot, but this has to beat it. My ears are still ringing from her "delighted" demonic screech.

June 16, 2023 11:22 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Don't remember that spot, but this has to beat it. My ears are still ringing from her "delighted" demonic screech.

Fantasy Island, the theme park, not the TV show. I remember the ads used to play on WUTV quite a bit in the early to mid-70s.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 16, 2023 12:45 pm  #6

Yeah, that's pretty annoying, but I don't think I've ever seen it before. Wonder how I missed it all those years ago? In any event, it's nowhere near as piercing to the brain as that radio brat's scream of supposed delight at the end of this new commercial. 

I heard it again this morning and steeled myself to stay there until the end so I could find out who's behind this ear-itating time waster. It's for Sell Off Vacation.com.

More like Sound's Off vacation.com to me, because I turn down the volume or switch stations as soon as I hear it come on. 

June 19, 2023 8:46 am  #7

ouch .. that scream is brutal ..

*shakes head* who thought a commercial that hurts one's ears would be a good thing .. 

June 19, 2023 1:31 pm  #8

It reminds me of my many years working across the street from Much Music.  Every year when they were preparing for the awards, or even just a visiting celeb musician, a large gathering of 13-year old girls would raise their ear-piercing screams as only 13-year old girls can.  I worked on the 5th floor in a building where the windows did not open but, I swear, those screams could've broken glass.  It was torture. 

June 19, 2023 1:41 pm  #9

DaCosta wrote:

It reminds me of my many years working across the street from Much Music.  Every year when they were preparing for the awards, or even just a visiting celeb musician, a large gathering of 13-year old girls would raise their ear-piercing screams as only 13-year old girls can.

Cases in point: Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys in the late '90s, which totally shut down the area around Queen & John.

June 26, 2023 9:52 am  #10

The horrible spot with the kid screaming is still airing, but if anything, she's being replaced by something either equally or even more irritating. Fortunately, it's confined to only one station. CFRB has begun running a promo for sister CTV's "Amazing Race Canada" reality show. 

The spot, which starts normally enough, ends with a guy literally screaming "Amaaaaaazing!" in your ear for what feels like half a century. It's just started running and hopefully will be short lived. I can assure them that while it's certainly notable, it's so annoying that I would never consider tuning into this show for any reason. 

What is it with people screaming on the radio these days? You've got that horrific little kid shrieking on that vacation commercial, the Spence Diamonds "Whoo!-er," and now this. 

For God's sake, stop yelling at your listeners.

You won't get their attention.

But you might just lose it.  

June 26, 2023 11:42 am  #11

Forward Power wrote:

DaCosta wrote:

It reminds me of my many years working across the street from Much Music.  Every year when they were preparing for the awards, or even just a visiting celeb musician, a large gathering of 13-year old girls would raise their ear-piercing screams as only 13-year old girls can.

Cases in point: Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys in the late '90s, which totally shut down the area around Queen & John.

The latter one you can likely blame on CISS(Kiss 92 FM). I remember that vaguely.

June 26, 2023 12:15 pm  #12

Actually the screaming girl "Chloe" is not brand new.  I began hearing it a couple of weeks ago.
I hate the scream, but my main criticism is the opening line when the mother tells the girl she's not going to school today because they are going to Cancun right now.
The ad is for cheap deals on trips... I can't remember what company it's for.
Anyway what mother decides to pull her kid out of school with a moment's notice to go to a resort in Mexico.
Not to mention Cancun is a lousy place to take a kid.  The likelihood of getting some crummy stomach bug even at a resort are not low.
Also you don't want to venture outside the resort gates because of a high risk of being mugged or beaten up or worse.
Several Canadians have come to bad end in Cancun.
The next ad in this campaign should be Chloe being taken away from her mom by child protective services.

Last edited by newsguy1 (June 26, 2023 12:17 pm)

June 27, 2023 6:15 pm  #13

finally heard it and it immediately went to the top of my list of ads I'd be happy to never come across again... I will leap across the room to turn down the volume completely on the radio should I catch the start of it again

if the big yellow board community gave out an award for The Worst Spot In 2023, this one might win...
📻🙁😕☹️😣😖🤨🏆

Last edited by betaylored (June 27, 2023 6:22 pm)