sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2023 11:19 am  #1

Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM

It happened just a few minutes ago (9 AM MT/11 AM ET), Bell Media has decided to shut down TSN 1260 in Edmonton. They are just playing random music at the moment with a voiceover announcing the shut down.

Their website has also been pulled down and replaced by this. 
https://www.iheartradio.ca/tsn/tsn-edmonton?autoplay=1.1748186

UPDATE: The transmitter for CFRN 1260 AM has also been reportedly shut down. 

Last edited by ED1 (June 14, 2023 11:36 am)

June 14, 2023 11:41 am  #2

Re: Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM

Also, both Vancouver AMs, Winnipeg and Calgary's Funny, and CJBK London

June 14, 2023 11:47 am  #3

It gets worse - they've also put CKOC & CHAM up for sale, although they remain on the air.

"Bell Media is also selling Hamilton's AM Radio 1150 and AM 820, as well as Windsor's AM 580, to an undisclosed third party, subject to CRTC approval."

This also includes immediately signing off CJBK London. Here's that online announcement. What a sad day for radio in Canada.

The company with no experience in running radio stations has proven how poor they were at it, along with the sad state of AM radio, as well. 

Here are the details of the bloodletting, including over a thousand people losing their jobs. 

Bell cutting 1,300 positions, shuttering six radio stations

June 14, 2023 11:54 am  #4

With their plummeting numbers, there must be a few nervous (and relatively high-paid) Newstalk 1010 employees today.

June 14, 2023 12:13 pm  #5

If someone like Zoomer Radio purchased CHAM they would get a super strong signal that reaches north and west and could set up a southern Ontario-wide network aimed at folks who still listen to radio.

Just a thought.

June 14, 2023 12:16 pm  #6

Thank you to the mods for updating the title of the thread to reflect the larger Bell Media cuts.

Thought this was an interesting quote in the FP today...

"In an interview with The Canadian Press, Bell executive vice-president and chief legal and regulatory officer Robert Malcolmson said the company’s media branch “can’t afford” to continue operating with its various brands — such as CTV National News, BNN, CP24, its local TV news stations and radio channels — operating independently of one another."

Are we about to see the merger of the CFTO and CP24 newsrooms?

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/bell-cutting-1300-positions-shuttering-six-radio-stations

June 14, 2023 12:19 pm  #7

Ironically a good place to get updates on this is via Bloomberg Canada TV, a division of BCE Inc

June 14, 2023 12:25 pm  #8

I’m surprised CJBK lasted as long as it did in London, once CBC established its local station there in 2017. Three news/talk stations in a market the size of London is a lot. Heck, Vancouver at almost 6 times the population has three. If I recall the London ratings, CBCL has been consistently the winner in London radio news/talk, with CFPL in second.

Still, that’s the sad end of an era in London. I’m too young to remember the Top 40 heyday of CJBK, but I remember being raised on its oldies format in the 90s, and then hearing Steve Garrison every morning. I remember Pete James was there for a long time after he left CFPL-TV as well.

CBC’s Heather Hiscox worked there too.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (June 14, 2023 12:26 pm)

June 14, 2023 12:28 pm  #9

RIP CJBK. You were a great station once. 

June 14, 2023 12:29 pm  #10

Also of note, this is the end of the road for the old CFCN in Calgary, as well as shortwave CFVP. CFCN (later CKMX) just turned 100 years old a year ago.

June 14, 2023 12:44 pm  #11

Some preliminary questions from this:

-Does the CRTC have something to say about the sudden shutdown of all these stations, without notice? Is there no obligation to at least turn in the licence first?

-Does anyone have any clue about who might be buying CKOC, CHAM & CKWW? From the announcement, it sounds like the "undisclosed third party" is getting all of them and they're not being sold separately. I, for one, will really miss CHAM, a go-to station when there's nothing else on or you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. It was entertaining, although Bell gave it as little attention as humanly possible. 

-What does this mean for the now few existing stations that this horrible company continues to control? I notice they kept their stations in Montreal and Toronto. What happens to these outlets in the long run?

June 14, 2023 12:51 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Some preliminary questions from this:

-Does the CRTC have something to say about the sudden shutdown of all these stations, without notice? Is there no obligation to at least turn in the licence first?

No.

RadioActive wrote:

=12px? I notice they kept their stations in Montreal and Toronto. What happens to these outlets in the long run?

It's notable that the 3 remaining TSN stations have their local NHL rights, while the others didn't. I'd assume time will be up for those stations the day those deals run out.

June 14, 2023 12:53 pm  #13

I absolutely love (read: hate) part of their explanation for this. True, radio is suffering losses and the biz isn't what it used to be. But one of Bell's execs - who conveniently still has his job - actually has the gall to blame the CRTC's efforts to cut cell phone costs as a contributing factor for this latest outrage. 

From the Canadian Press article linked in a post above, citing executive vice-president and chief legal and regulatory officer Robert Malcolmson:

"He took aim at “relentless regulatory intervention” by the CRTC, under Ottawa’s direction, that has prioritized measures to bring down the cost of telecommunication services.

"
Noting that the cost of wireless service has declined around 25 per cent and the cost of broadband high-speed internet has gone up by less than one per cent over the last three years, despite Canada’s overall high inflation, Malcolmson said “maybe it’s time to declare victory” for Ottawa.

“I think the government’s sort of populist focus on pricing isn’t necessarily in line with current reality and the government has created an intensely competitive industry structure that they should allow to play out,” he said."

I was under the impression these divisions were separate and one had nothing to do with the other. To blame the CRTC's far too belated attempts at bringing down inflated cell phone prices (which for the record, I honestly have not noticed to be working) for cutting 1,300 radio jobs and closing six radio stations is an absolute abomination.

A pox on Bell and all its corporate execs. What a terrible, terrible owner of such precious resources. They should all be ashamed of themselves. It's another dark day for radio in Canada and once again, just like Feb. 2021, it's the Bell that tolls. 

June 14, 2023 12:58 pm  #14

What a brutal day for radio!

BTW, I understand that Leafs Lunch on TSN 1050 has been cancelled as part of these Bell cuts.

June 14, 2023 1:00 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I was under the impression these divisions were separate and one had nothing to do with the other.  

So long as they fall under the same ticker symbol what affects one affects the others.

June 14, 2023 1:11 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I was under the impression these divisions were separate and one had nothing to do with the other.  

So long as they fall under the same ticker symbol what affects one affects the others.

The company I worked for always said the various divisions had to make a profit and stood on their own and did not reflect the performance of the other areas of the business. It does not surprise me that Bell doesn't go by that standard. 

June 14, 2023 1:13 pm  #17

A source says longtime CTV reporters Glen McGregor and Joyce Napier are among those cut. Can anyone confirm?

June 14, 2023 1:20 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The company I worked for always said the various divisions had to make a profit and stood on their own and did not reflect the performance of the other areas of the business. It does not surprise me that Bell doesn't go by that standard. 

Was it publicly listed?

June 14, 2023 1:30 pm  #19

Just now tuned in to CJBK. They're just playing some kind of bland musi.c, the kind you get when your phone call is placed on hold. They periodically repeat a recorded message that, as of 11:00 AM sthe station is closed. 

They thank their sponsors and their listeners for their support. Not a word of thanks to their staff. I wonder if the staff had any advance notice at all.

When I first came to London in 1996 there were 3 AM stations. Now we're down to one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 14, 2023 1:37 pm  #20

The Funny format on 820 is not at all successful. It barely beats 1150. I suspect the Funny format does not do well in Calgary and Winnipeg either. My first thought was why not try to sell the stations before shutting them down. Bell may have already tried. Is it possible Bell has been offered mega bucks for the transmitter sites? They shut down a money and ratings losing station. They get $$$ for the transmitter site. Employees lose their jobs. In Bell's view, too bad, so sad. Just a cost of doing business. The bean counters will no doubt get raises. They saved the company money by shutting down underperforming stations AND earned money by selling the transmitter sites. A win/win for everyone... except the now jobless former employees.

June 14, 2023 1:50 pm  #21

Closing CTV's London and Los Angeles bureaus means the loss of two well-respected, excellent correspondents.......
Paul Workman and Tom Walters.  I hope these gentlemen land in other capacities or jump ship to CBC.

June 14, 2023 1:51 pm  #22

mace wrote:

The Funny format on 820 is not at all successful. It barely beats 1150. I suspect the Funny format does not do well in Calgary and Winnipeg either. My first thought was why not try to sell the stations before shutting them down. Bell may have already tried. Is it possible Bell has been offered mega bucks for the transmitter sites? They shut down a money and ratings losing station. They get $$$ for the transmitter site. Employees lose their jobs. In Bell's view, too bad, so sad. Just a cost of doing business. The bean counters will no doubt get raises. They saved the company money by shutting down underperforming stations AND earned money by selling the transmitter sites. A win/win for everyone... except the now jobless former employees.

The Funny stations were never meant to be successful. They were placeholders.

They most certainly would have made an attempt to sell the 6 stations. I doubt they got offers for the transmitter sites...too big a coincidence.

June 14, 2023 1:52 pm  #23

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Was it publicly listed?

Absolutely. They always told us when these things happened not to worry, because each division was judged on its own profits. That's not to say there weren't occasional cuts - maybe 10 or 20 people. Not 1,300!

I can't remember a worse or darker day in Canadian broadcasting history. Let's talk, Bell. You guys are an awful company. 

June 14, 2023 1:56 pm  #24

Broodcaster wrote:

If someone like Zoomer Radio purchased CHAM they would get a super strong signal that reaches north and west and could set up a southern Ontario-wide network aimed at folks who still listen to radio.
Just a thought.

Great thinking, but I still suspect that maybe it's a Religious broadcaster investing. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 14, 2023 2:04 pm  #25

Broodcaster wrote:

Just a thought.

Zoomer already has good signal coverage to the west. Here in London, it's solid both day and night. Much better than CHAM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 14, 2023 2:05 pm  #26

It will be interesting to see who bought CHAM, CKOC and CKWW.  Possibly an ethnic broadcasting group?

June 14, 2023 2:12 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

It will be interesting to see who bought CHAM, CKOC and CKWW.  Possibly an ethnic broadcasting group?

Gotta think so...or religious.

Would be neat if someone with deep pockets started a hobby station like WECK or WABC

June 14, 2023 2:20 pm  #28

ED1 wrote:

It happened just a few minutes ago (9 AM MT/11 AM ET), Bell Media has decided to shut down TSN 1260 in Edmonton. They are just playing random music at the moment with a voiceover announcing the shut down. 

You can hear the barker announcements for CJBK and CFRN here.

June 14, 2023 2:27 pm  #29

I'm thinking that it might be Vista / Westkirk Capital who will be the new group lined up to acquire CKOC, CHAM and Windsor's CKWW...

Maybe the new buyer (whoever they end up being) will flip and sell one of the two Hamilton outlets... if so, my guess would be to keep 1150, and re-sell 820....

Last edited by Glen Warren (June 14, 2023 2:28 pm)

June 14, 2023 2:32 pm  #30

Glen Warren wrote:

I'm thinking that it might be Vista / Westkirk Capital who will be the new group lined up to acquire CKOC, CHAM and Windsor's CKWW...

Maybe the new buyer (whoever they end up being) will flip and sell one of the two Hamilton outlets... if so, my guess would be to keep 1150, and re-sell 820....

Stand-alone AM stations cannot be profitable in the traditional ratings to revenue model.