sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2017 10:27 am  #1

CKFH building at Grenville torn down

Decided to look up CKFH's former address on Grenville today for nostalgic reasons and much to my surprise the building appears to have been torn down! How much great radio came out of that place! Here's a look:

[url]https://www.google.ca/maps/place/1+Grenville+St,+Toronto,+ON+M4Y+1X5/@43.6620332,-79.3839059,3a,75y,191.1h,79.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUTTfHVeOQScV71FNKKg_Zw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b34b444df0c65:0x317cbb014ac6b67a!8m2!3d43.6619352!4d-79.3839391!6m1!1e1[/url]

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 28, 2017 11:54 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 28, 2017 10:46 am  #2

Re: CKFH building at Grenville torn down

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 28, 2017 11:10 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

From 2015: https://torontosavvy.me/tag/ckfh/

Thanks! I rarely go downtown, after working at King and Victoria for 35 years.

May 28, 2017 11:54 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's not "apparently torn down" if it's been confirmed.

I think the more interesting BREAKING NEWZ story is the heritage building next door that was moved.

Good point. I've changed the headline.

May 28, 2017 4:54 pm  #5

1050 CHUM, as well as running low speed 24 hour logger tapes also ran studio quality full airchecks in the main control room 24/7.  The production department would then lift the greatest (and funniest) moments and preserve them in the archives.  That's where the good quality air checks Doug and Dale have come from.  The CHUM News Department also had a massive news audio archive initiated when Dick Smyth took over as ND.  They too were high quality reel to reel, later dubbed to cassette because of the huge space demands of storing 10" reels.  I wonder what happened to that priceless archive?   Probably hit the dumpster.  Dick had a tape machine in his office that was activated every time the news booth mic was turned on and it recorded each newscast, for critiques and archiving.  Archive material was dubbed each week from these reels onto the master tapes and indexed on cards.

May 28, 2017 7:13 pm  #6

The CKFH control room, circa 1961:

May 28, 2017 7:33 pm  #7

Mike, the 10" master reels are where SOME of the airchecks came from, but by no means the majority.
Certainly when I was a board op at CHUM, we didn't aircheck constantly.  That only starting happening in the 1970's.  I found many board quality tapes of CHUM DJ's from the early to mid 1960's from Mr. Waters own files....as well as some of my own recordings.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (May 28, 2017 7:33 pm)

May 30, 2017 9:56 am  #8

The CKFH sign.

May 30, 2017 10:43 am  #9

A friend pointed me to this online. Don't recall seeing this version or any any follow ups before. Listed as Collectors Issue # 1 from March 1969. Some very interesting albums and singles listed. Not sure how many of the singles were actually played. The very last album listed is Moby Grape 68 but there was no Moby Grape 68. There was a Moby Grape 69. :
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/VDYAAOSwX9FZJMXn/$_57.JPG[/img]

Last edited by Fitz (May 30, 2017 4:12 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 30, 2017 11:27 pm  #10

What was the building used for when 1430 left? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 31, 2017 7:28 am  #11

Radiowiz.  After CKFH was no longer CJCL had it's beginnings; before moving up to Holly & Eglinton.  After the move, I have no idea.  I spent four years years there with a 6 month departure in 1969; when American PD, the late Gary Palant (Palent?) came in and fired Keith Hampshire and myself.  Hired some great American jocks.  Six months later he left and GM Barry Nesbitt asked Keith and I to return.  I came back till 1971; when I left for CHUM-FM; but Keith made a great decision and went into the freelance voice business.  He did one great career change.  Very successful.

BTW Dale I got there in 1967 and that control room picture doesn't entirely match with the 1967 control room.  For one thing you would enter the control room; from the right front of the room; next to the glass (when looking forward from the chair); which looked into the newsroom.  There is some equipment in this shot that wasn't there; when I arrived.  Engineer and on air talent, David Haydu otherwise known as Geets Romo would probably know.  Geets is my oldest friend in the Toronto market and I'm not meaning age.

Last edited by John D (May 31, 2017 7:50 am)

May 31, 2017 10:37 am  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

What was the building used for when 1430 left? 

A production company took over part of the area where CKFH-CJCL used to be. I believe there was a bank on the first floor.