sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2017 7:23 pm  #1

CRTC: Big Stations Must Air 6 Hrs./Wk. Of "Locally Reflective News"

A couple of other announcements from the CRTC Monday, in addition to the OMNI news.

The Commission renewed the licences of the big operators, like Rogers, Bell and Corus in a bit of a no-doubt rubber stamp move, but there were two significant add-ons. The most important is that stations in big cities must, as a condition of licence, air at least six hours of what it terms "locally reflective news" every week. I'm not entirely sure how or if that differs from general news, but they'll have to spend at least 11% of the previous year's revenues to that cause among their local stations.  And the CRTC warns it will be monitoring the affected stations to make sure they do it. (Smaller markets only have to do three hours per week.)

And broadcasters that want to shut down money losing over-the-air TV outlets will now have to give 120 days notice before pulling the plug. That will give the CRTC time to call public hearings into the proposed shutdowns and allow public input on whether the shuttering should be allowed.

CRTC Issues New News & Station Shutdown Regs

May 15, 2017 7:39 pm  #2

Re: CRTC: Big Stations Must Air 6 Hrs./Wk. Of "Locally Reflective News"

Clearly a damn police state now. I can't wait to call in and vent my righteous rage at this disgrace.