sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2024 1:46 pm  #1

Radio Online Makes Massive Mistakes About Toronto's FM Dial

Radio Online is a generally good site for radio news, and I usually find them pretty interesting and accurate. Until I stumbled on its page listing the city's FM dial, where so many things are wrong, it's hard to imagine where they got the info. 

Take the listing for CHUM-AM. Please. It claims the station, which clearly has AM in its designation, is located at 97.7 on the FM dial. For some reason, it's owned by Freeland Broadcasting, which I'm sure is a surprise to Bell. 

But it doesn't end there. Apparently CKDX is sharing 99.9 with CKFM, because both are listed as being on the same frequency. 

And then there's CIRV, which I'm betting most Toronto residents don't even know exists. It's an ethnic station at 88.9 that goes by the branding of "Red FM." But what it's not is at 107.5. I also find the ownership listing questionable. "Skynet Hawaii?" Is The Terminator a part owner?

And then there's CKLF at 88.1, which apparently is based in Brandon, Manitoba, not far from downtown T.O. It also lists the long defunct CKLN on the same frequency, but nary a word about CIND-FM. (For the record, there is a CKLF in Brandon, but it's obviously nowhere near Canada's biggest city.)

Here's a look at the topsy turvy listings, for whatever they're worth. Frankly, I expected better from this site and wonder how they got so many so wrong. 

Radio Online's Toronto Database

April 26, 2024 6:14 pm  #2

Re: Radio Online Makes Massive Mistakes About Toronto's FM Dial

I'd be inclined to click "Submit Correction" but with so many errors per listing, I can't tell which piece of info IS correct to use as the baseline!