sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2024 4:28 pm  #1

SOWNY Poll: Who Was The Best Hockey Night In Canada Announcer Ever?

In light of the passing of Bob Cole, if you had to pick just one of these greats from the storied history of Hockey Night In Canada, which one would it be?

In light of the passing of the great Bob Cole, who would get your vote as the best Hockey Night In Canada announcer of all time?

April 25, 2024 4:31 pm  #2

Re: SOWNY Poll: Who Was The Best Hockey Night In Canada Announcer Ever?

C'mon, this is apples and oranges.  You have grouped in there hosts, play-by-play guys and analysts. 

April 25, 2024 4:33 pm  #3

I realize that. But the poll software doesn't allow for the separation of play-by-play and analyst, so to be fair, I called it Hockey Night In Canada "announcer" on purpose. It's a tough choice, but I'm curious to see who comes out on top. 

April 25, 2024 4:39 pm  #4

Jim Robson

Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .

April 25, 2024 4:46 pm  #5

I almost put him in, but wasn't he mainly heard out west? I admit he belongs on the list, but I wasn't sure how many in this part of the land would have had the chance to hear him.

The problem with these polls is there's limited room for the choices and inevitably, someone deserving (like Robson) is going to be left out. I probably should have put in an "other" in retrospect. 

Last edited by RadioActive (April 25, 2024 4:56 pm)

April 25, 2024 5:13 pm  #6

Voted for Foster Hewitt, because he pioneered sports play-by-play, and called the greatest goal ever scored in 1972.  Almost didn't vote at all, because that sniveller McLean was on the list.

April 25, 2024 6:36 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I almost put him in, but wasn't he mainly heard out west? 

Jim Robson was to hockey what Red Robinson was to top 40 radio

April 25, 2024 8:42 pm  #8

Where's Dave Hodge?

April 25, 2024 9:47 pm  #9

Have to admit, I didn't think of him. Which is weird because I think he used to be my brother's neighbour when he lived in Toronto.

Problem is there's only so many choices you can list so I had to try and put in the names I thought would come up most. With a Canadian institution that's been on for so long, it's literally impossible to include every name. 

April 25, 2024 11:34 pm  #10

When I was a youngster living in Montreal Dick Irvin and Danny Gallivan were the duo that made me become a lifelong hockey fan with their expert insights and conversation (the incredible 70's Stanley Cup winning Habs teams may have had something to do with it too.) I also have a soft spot for Foster Hewitt for obvious reasons. And Howie Meeker.

It's a shame Don Cherry and Ron McLean's careers veered off the successful path that made them fan favorites.

Even though I agree with Radio Bob and the apples and oranges observation, talking about this is still interesting and fun.

Last edited by betaylored (April 25, 2024 11:37 pm)

April 26, 2024 1:17 am  #11

Can we call Murray Westgate a "Hockey Night in Canada" announcer?

Hey, he was on every week for years, and was quite popular.

What about Ward Cornell?

This list can only grow as people notice omissions. I think this topic is too big for a Forum Poll

April 26, 2024 5:53 am  #12

Feel free to add whoever you think belongs. It may not be a poll, but their names deserve to be mentioned.

He never called a game but how about Jack Dennett of CFRB, who introduced the show every Saturday night?

Or Paul Morris, the guy who announced the goals, the penalties and other info over the PA for an incredible 38 years? I always thought of him as almost a team member he was around so long. 

April 26, 2024 8:46 am  #13

A Canadian kid he was THE voice of St. Louis, Dan Kelly. A terrific play-by-play guy and did the odd Canadian call. Can't go wrong with him.