sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2024 8:50 pm  #1

A commercial entirely in French on Boom?

At first I thought it was a mistake but I'm hearing a commercial for BDO Debt on Boom 97.3 entirely in French. I listen between 11 and 1PM weekdays and have heard it once a day for the past few days...maybe three? 

The only reason I know it's for BDO Debt is because that's all I can understand!

Just wondering if anyone else has heard it.  I've never heard a French language commercial on an English language radio station before.

April 22, 2024 9:25 pm  #2

Re: A commercial entirely in French on Boom?

Sacre bleu!

April 22, 2024 10:27 pm  #3

I have seen TV ads that ran in French on English channels, don't recall any radio though.  I remember about 5 years ago seeing an ad for Wayfair  that was in French on Global.  It ran a few times and was the same as the English ad running on other channels except for the graphics and the voice over.  Also the Toronto Sun ran a full page 2001 Audio ad in French in their Sunday paper about 12 years ago.  When I worked at The Record in Kitchener, we ran a full page Office Depot ad for a location in a suburb of Los Angeles rather than Kitchener. 

April 23, 2024 1:58 pm  #4

You were listening on the app from iHeart. I too get those ads and have asked about it. They are ads that are inserted by the streaming provider whenever the app is started or usually in the first position of a commercial during stopsets.

April 23, 2024 2:23 pm  #5

The real answers are always so boring.

April 23, 2024 2:43 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

The real answers are always so boring.

C'est vrai.

April 23, 2024 8:34 pm  #7

boom boy wrote:

You were listening on the app from iHeart. I too get those ads and have asked about it. They are ads that are inserted by the streaming provider whenever the app is started or usually in the first position of a commercial during stopsets.

Nope.  Streaming through their web site.

April 23, 2024 11:21 pm  #8

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

boom boy wrote:

Nope. Streaming through their web site.

I think the point is, you were streaming, not listening to the actual radio.
Ads getting in there through the stream source, not the actual radio station.

If I've missed the point, I sincerely apologize. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.