sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2024 8:37 am  #1

Tv commercials that are memorable

With all the negativity regarding bad commercials, although mostly radio,  what TV commercials do the posters here recall from the past that have a lasting impression ? For me, it is the one that was U.S. based but poignant world wide and still meaningful today. I'm referring to the one that showed piles of garbage on roadsides, and at the end, a Native man turns to the camera with a tear running down his cheek. I haven't seen it in decades, but can see it clearly in my mind. I have always made an effort to not litter and put trash in it's proper place since it aired. 

April 22, 2024 8:51 am  #2

Re: Tv commercials that are memorable

The sad thing about that ad is that the guy portraying the Indigenous man in the canoe was "Iron Eyes Cody," who appeared as a character in Western TV shows and movies.

But it turns out he wasn't actually an "Indian" at all, and was of Italian origin. His real name was Espera Oscar de Corti. Back then, nobody knew and his real identity wasn't revealed until after he died.

But it would never have been allowed to happen today. 

Anyway, about you not seeing that ad in decades - YouTube to the rescue.

April 22, 2024 9:56 am  #3

April 22, 2024 10:04 am  #4

Eye Shrapnel !!   
*smh* I referred to this commercial just last week to the yahoo next door jackhammering a front porch without eye protection. 

April 22, 2024 11:49 am  #5

I’ve always liked the Jeep commercial with the guy driving and singing Rock Me Gently, and the forest animals getting into the truck and singing along with him 😄 (I don’t know how to embed, sorry)

https://youtu.be/mXUjSgWBhy8?si=vGVo2tv9S1mxCgsj

April 22, 2024 12:22 pm  #6

I also like the Volkswagen ad where archaologists are digging in the desert when one of the shovels hits something solid.
As they continue digging a Volkswagen Beetle is unearthed.
Then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsKQoy1hG2I

Last edited by newsguy1 (April 22, 2024 12:23 pm)

April 22, 2024 12:50 pm  #7

I LOVE this timeless classic VW Jetta ad. 
Everything moves to the beat of the music.
It's from the year 2000.  You wouldn't know it though, with music coming from a cassette tape...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 22, 2024 1:05 pm  #8

Jacobson - Faster Than Sheep

Last edited by Hansa (April 22, 2024 1:06 pm)

April 22, 2024 2:53 pm  #9

This one ran almost all the time when I was a kid. "[Something in Hungarian] Drifters on Broadway!"

April 22, 2024 2:59 pm  #10

Speaking of Volkswagen, they had some of the best spots of the 60s and 70s. Here are two of them. (Although I still can't quite figure out how a VW Beetle can supposedly navigate a huge snowstorm better than any other vehicle.)

April 22, 2024 3:38 pm  #11

I'm really enjoying the ads posted so far, and the will reading VW ad had seriously funny"Trading Places" (the movie) vibes.

There's a pretty good chance you'll remember the company this spot was for after you read this: "Start the car!"

https://youtu.be/NlWCLw75XnE?si=fnArbA-q4xcqTnYV

Last edited by betaylored (April 22, 2024 3:43 pm)

April 22, 2024 3:52 pm  #12

Stan Freberg was a genius who came up with this unforgettable spot:

He did a ton of other famous spots, some of which we never saw here. The video below is about 15 minutes long and shows one of the great masters of the genre at work.

April 22, 2024 6:39 pm  #13

Another favourite of mine is the Coffee Crisp one from the mid-90s, I think, with the two old ladies having coffee - “You like your coffee crisp?” “I like my Coffee Crisp!” “Oh, I’m supposed to laugh now” 😄😄😄