sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2024 2:48 pm  #1

The Sportsnet NHL agreement

I was watching the Bob McCown podcast today and Keith Pelley was guest, talking about his new post with MLSE and it got me thinking about the Sportsnet/NHL agreement. It ends in one more full season (25/26). I wonder if a deal that rich and multi-faceted will happen again?

Given the change in how we consume media and now the betting ads (a bit too much for my liking), will we see a deal like this moving forward?

Also, how would you rate the coverage on both sides?

I feel Sportsnet delivered even in the F'd up 2020 season, (hockey in July). 

What is your take big yellow?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/deal-gives-rogers-rights-to-all-nhl-games-through-2025-26/

[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.9)]Hi David[/color]

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 22, 2024 2:55 pm  #2

Re: The Sportsnet NHL agreement

Almost certainly a deal led by a streamer, than then show a a selection with a broadcast partner.

April 22, 2024 3:53 pm  #3

Two more full seasons 

April 23, 2024 8:48 am  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I was watching the Bob McCown podcast today and Keith Pelley was guest, talking about his new post with MLSE and it got me thinking about the Sportsnet/NHL agreement. It ends in one more full season (25/26). I wonder if a deal that rich and multi-faceted will happen again?

Given the change in how we consume media and now the betting ads (a bit too much for my liking), will we see a deal like this moving forward?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/deal-gives-rogers-rights-to-all-nhl-games-through-2025-26/

[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.9)]Hi David[/color]

I am not too sure that Rogers/Sportsnet did that great on their ROI for this deal as they would not comment on it in the past. Also hockey viewership among younger demos is down, Gen Z and Millennials in particular, they prefer shorter events apparently. Former Rogers President and CEO Guy Laurence allegedly let Pelley go over this NHL deal, so it may not happen again.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (April 23, 2024 8:50 am)

April 23, 2024 10:05 am  #5

Since there is some question right now on Bell's committment to broadcasting, it will be interesting to see how aggressive they will be for the broadcast rights.  Ten years ago CBC, Rogers and Bell were all pushing hard for the broadcast contract.  This time it's a whole different deal with streamers involved and likely CBC out of the equation in the bidding.  Rogers like Bell is carrying billions of debt, and they have become a major player in real estate.  Check out downtown Mississauga and their new skyline. 

Rogers had their best ratings a few years back when Montreal was in the final.  If a Canadian team goes all the way to the final this year or next the ratings should do well.  If not...golf anyone?

April 23, 2024 11:40 am  #6

I'm just hoping that whatever deal is struck in the future, that there's a commitment to keep the Saturday night games on broadcast/free TV on a national basis. They can put all the other games on the week on cable/streaming/regional etc. 

Though it has been nice to get all NHL content from one provider. I would have the idea of having to subscribe to multiple services just to see all 82 games for my team. 

April 23, 2024 12:28 pm  #7

My assumption is the next rights deal in Canada will be split. Similar to the US with TNT and ESPN. But my thought is it will be Sportsnet and maybe Apple TV or Amazon Prime. Maybe Netflix. I can’t see Bell jumping in and doing anything this way. Unless the plan is to put it on Crave mostly.