sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2024 12:06 pm  #1

Ontario-based betting ads appearing across Canada

This is a topic I’ve mentioned before in passing but now it’s got CBC’s attention:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/ontario-sports-betting-tv-ads-broadcast-across-canada-1.7180545

I don’t buy that buying Ontario means buying Canada. On the cable/broadcast side, the networks themselves have full ability to run their ads only in certain markets. Rogers Sportsnet, for example, could choose to run the ads only on Sportsnet Ontario. They already air BC-specific ads on Sportsnet Pacific such as ads for BC’s auto insurance provider (alongside the Ontario betting ads), so they clearly have the ability to do this. I’ve also seen Sportsnet West and seen Alberta-specific ads there.

There’s also other examples of Ontario-specific ads in other industries only running in Ontario. Ads for Metro grocery stores or OLG don’t air in Western Canada, for example.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 22, 2024 12:09 pm)

April 22, 2024 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Ontario-based betting ads appearing across Canada

They can split the ads to just Ontario feeds, but they can't make people watch on them. It's the only way to ensure the client gets the eyeballs they paid for.