sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 3:50 pm  #1

Lost Original Star Trek 1st "Enterprise" Back In Roddenberry Hands

It was the very first ever model built of the U.S.S. Enterprise and you'd recognize it right away - it was seen in the opening credits of the original Star Trek back in 1966. But somewhere along the way, it disappeared, an icon of sci fi television seemingly gone forever.

Until now. It made a still unexplained voyage to where no model like it has gone before - into the hands of an American auction house. And now it's back in the hands of creator Gene Roddenberry's son, who wants to display it in a museum. It's a priceless artifact that would be worth millions on the market. 

How it got to him or where it's been all this time is something of a mystery, after it was discovered in a storage unit. But Eugene Roddenberry, scion of the show's creator, is just happy to know it's back. 

"Thankfully, he said, the discovery has cleared up one rumor: That it was destroyed because as a young boy, he’d thrown it into a pool.

“Finally I’m vindicated after all these years.” 

You can see several pics of this treasure at the link below. 

Long-lost first model of the USS Enterprise from ‘Star Trek’ boldly goes home after twisting voyage 

April 19, 2024 11:26 am  #2

Re: Lost Original Star Trek 1st "Enterprise" Back In Roddenberry Hands

Thanks for the story RA.

I regularly watched Star Trek when I was a kid. A great show with compelling plots. I was disappointed when the show was cancelled. The series stands the test of time very well.

April 19, 2024 11:58 am  #3

Here's another great artifact I've published before. But in case you missed it, it's worth repeating. It's the Fall Preview listing of Star Trek in TV Guide from Sept. 10, 1966. Remember, no one had ever seen it when this came out. I still can't quite forgive them for the "spooky Spocky" remark. Plus, they got the Vulcan part wrong, too. Not logical at all. 

April 19, 2024 2:41 pm  #4

I had the opportunity to interview Mr. Shatner briefly now exactly 50 years ago.

He had been hired by Loblaws to help promote the chain & was attending the opening of a brand new grocery store.

Spent a few minutes with him.

April 19, 2024 2:48 pm  #5

He was on Bill Maher's HBO show last week. He's 93 and you would never know it by looking at him or listening to him. Not only does he have a new album coming out (who buys the music he turns out?) and is planning a trip soon to Antarctica. 

I'm nowhere near 93 and I wouldn't have the energy to do that now!

That's what you get when you're going warp speed.