sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 8:26 am  #1

Guess Who's Most Likely To Have A TV Antenna? It's Not Who You Think

If anyone asked me which generation is most likely to have an actual honest-to-goodness TV antenna to get over-the-air broadcasts, I would have said Baby Boomers, who grew up with them. 

If you thought the same thing, we'd apparently both be wrong. According to a new survey (done online, so take that for what it's worth) it's Millennials (ages 25-44) followed closely by Gen-Xers (45-54.) The Boomers, the 55+ age group, are said to be the least likely to have a means of getting OTA.

The survey was conducted by a group called Civic Science, which also indicates that while Gen Z don't have an antenna in their set-ups, they're among the most interested in getting one. 

All of this is surprising in an age where streaming is king, fewer people are watching the traditional networks and cable is watching subscribers cancel at an alarming rate. I'm a bit skeptical of these numbers, and none of the results show huge interest in the long run, but if they are true, it shows there may be life in the ABCs, CBSs, NBCs and Foxes yet. 

Why Do So Many Millennials Have a TV Antenna?

April 19, 2024 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Guess Who's Most Likely To Have A TV Antenna? It's Not Who You Think

I'm the Gen Xer that grew up with an antenna...probably watched more TV than those with cable.  I bought an antenna with my newspaper route money in 1991 and I still use it today.  The antenna is a Delhi 929 (13' boom UHF/VHF/FM) I have a smaller stationary one as well that i use for my Tablo.  The rotor is a Superior (warranty expired in August of '74--still working) Living in St. Catharines were fortunate to get about 50 stations coming at us from nearly all sides.  While I stream most TV, I use my antenna for local TV every day.

https://postimg.cc/LqcKX55w

April 19, 2024 9:23 pm  #3

memories of having rabbit ears on the old black and white television at the cottage, trying them one way or another to get the best reception possible...good times

April 19, 2024 10:20 pm  #4

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

I'm the Gen Xer that grew up with an antenna...probably watched more TV than those with cable. I bought an antenna with my newspaper route money in 1991 and I still use it today. The antenna is a Delhi 929 (13' boom UHF/VHF/FM) I have a smaller stationary one as well that i use for my Tablo. The rotor is a Superior (warranty expired in August of '74--still working) Living in St. Catharines were fortunate to get about 50 stations coming at us from nearly all sides. While I stream most TV, I use my antenna for local TV every day.

https://postimg.cc/LqcKX55w

I assume Rochester and Erie were tropo for you. What about the rarely seen in Toronto WBBZ CH 67 and never seen WBXZ ch 56?

April 20, 2024 6:06 am  #5

WBBZ is hit and miss for me.  I don't know if it's their signal, me being close to the escarpment or a combination of both.  When WBXZ came on the air I was able to get them.  After the ATSC 3.0 switch where some area stations switched or swapped frequencies I lost them. It did get me a rock solid signal for WPXJ where I never got it before.

Back in the analog days, I'd get Rochester quite often on clear days and nights.   The escarpment is likely the reason I can't get Erie here in St. Catharines too.

April 20, 2024 12:51 pm  #6

I'm 45 and I use an antenna. Detroit gets into Sarnia if you are up high enough. There are over 40 channels. I also have a little three element FM antenna on the stereo which works great.

I am on a fifth floor apartment balcony which faces south. My line on sight to the southwest is clear.

April 20, 2024 3:52 pm  #7

I realize this thread is abot TV, but I found that being up on the escarpment, Fonthill area, 103.7 from Erie would often come in clearly. 

I know that BrockU's campus radio has that frequency, but I'm guessing it's either not too strong a signal, or is not directed that way.

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

WBBZ is hit and miss for me. I don't know if it's their signal, me being close to the escarpment or a combination of both. When WBXZ came on the air I was able to get them. After the ATSC 3.0 switch where some area stations switched or swapped frequencies I lost them. It did get me a rock solid signal for WPXJ where I never got it before.

Back in the analog days, I'd get Rochester quite often on clear days and nights. The escarpment is likely the reason I can't get Erie here in St. Catharines too.