sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2024 8:39 pm  #1

Longest Serving Buffalo TV Anchor At Same Stn. Is Leaving Anchor Desk

As soon as I saw that headline I thought, "yeah, but isn't Irv Weinstein dead?" 

Yes he is, but it turns out, he's not the longest serving TV anchor at the same station in Buffalo history. That honour belongs to WIVB's Jacquie Walker, who has announced she's stepping down after an amazing 40 years in the air chair. Weinstein's stay at WKBW was 34 years. 

She'll be gone from the nightly news in May, but not from the newsroom, working on occasional special projects, while spending more time with her family, who've mostly been without her at dinnertime for four decades.

As she told The Buffalo News:

“Like everybody else, I am in a footrace with Father Time and Mother Nature...“They are going to win, but I’m going to give them a heck of a run for their money in the meantime. I have so many things that I want to do, and primarily, I need flexibility.”

Even if you don't watch Channel 4 or Buffalo news, you have to admit that's a pretty amazing record. 

WIVB's Jacquie Walker dropping anchor duties in late May

April 18, 2024 8:38 am  #2

Re: Longest Serving Buffalo TV Anchor At Same Stn. Is Leaving Anchor Desk

To give you an idea of how impressive 40 years of anchoring newscasts is at one station, I looked up the history of several well known local broadcasters. Tom Gibney anchored CFTO's World Beat News for 34 Years. Dan Maclean was the face of CHCH News for 28 years. While not a newscaster, Percy Saltsman had a 30 year career doing weather forecasts. 20 years at CBLT and the final 10 with CTV, CITY and Global.