sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2024 5:00 pm  #1

More Money For CBC In Tuesday's Federal Budget

Just when I was hoping to stay away from politics, comes a political story that deserves mention here, offered without comment: the federal government's budget, released on Tuesday, is upping the budget for the CBC, adding an extra $42 million for news and entertainment programming. Worth noting, it's a one-time only increase. 

The Corp. already receives $1.3 billion from the feds. 

April 16, 2024 6:20 pm  #2

Re: More Money For CBC In Tuesday's Federal Budget

RadioActive wrote:

Just when I was hoping to stay away from politics, comes a political story that deserves mention here, offered without comment: the federal government's budget, released on Tuesday, is upping the budget for the CBC, adding an extra $42 million for news and entertainment programming. Worth noting, it's a one-time only increase. 

The Corp. already receives $1.3 billion from the feds. 

The Corp is the only friend JT has left, other than the Toronto Star, which is on its last legs.

April 16, 2024 7:05 pm  #3

At a time when foreign funded bad actors spread disinformation to promote division and private media conglomerates cut services and close/sell community radio stations, I'm glad to see the government step in to provide more resources for the CBC to keep Canadians informed and entertained. 

If it bothers you, express your feelings at the ballot box at the next election.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 16, 2024 7:07 pm)

April 16, 2024 7:51 pm  #4

Also in the budget: a promise to introduce a bill that would prohibit cell phone providers from charging you if you switch to another company. 

April 17, 2024 5:59 am  #5