sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2024 4:59 pm  #1

Those under 35's aren't watching TV news...it is a growing trend

A PEW study late last year states that half of Americans sometimes get their news from social media, and vastly more people get it on their digital devices than from television, radios or printed publications.

The report in Washington Post shares an example of a young professional woman, sharing how she consumes her news and current affairs. 
Sheila Milon reads traditional news only four times a month. The 23-year-old consultant from Los Angeles will sit down at her computer or device and go deep on the big mainstream news publications.

“I find it hard to keep up with everything in a given news cycle, so I will typically check on the weekends,” Milon said.

During the week, she absorbs the news in bits and pieces though social media, mostly on Instagram and X, formerly known as Twitter. She listens to NPR and Wall Street Journal podcasts on Spotify, and reads daily newsletters from MorningBrew and ProPublica.

When the news she’s following is especially intense, Milon said, she needs to tap out and take a break, like she did recently after reading about Gaza and Israel for four days straight.

I know the older people I have in my circle of friends or family watch CNN almost religiously at night. 

Personally I am more like a 20 something, if it is too much to handle, I edge off...watching news or reading doesn't make the problems of the world better, it just exasperates the situations and hot spots.

What is your take Big Yellow?

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (April 15, 2024 5:00 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 15, 2024 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Those under 35's aren't watching TV news...it is a growing trend

If I want to find truly "World" news, I bounce around between BBC, Euronews. DW and the English Al Jazeera.

April 15, 2024 7:54 pm  #3

I used to listen to shortwave for "world news", particularly BBC and Radio Netherlands - sometimes Radio Moscow for a laugh. 

April 15, 2024 8:02 pm  #4

40 y.o. guy here, and covid for me pretty much killed any possibility of returning to watching TV news. Prior to that, corporate horn-tooting (e.g. Vancouver 2010 on CTV/TSN, and Bell Let's Talk) and various events in the U.S. had led me to seriously reduce how much I'd watch news on TV, but covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Nowadays, for local content in my area (Ottawa Valley), I watch the websites of local radio stations and print/digital publishers, including the area's Metroland news site, and the small independent papers the Eganville Leader and, from the Quebec side, The Equity (Shawville). As for my go-to outlets for national and international news, the traditional wire services (e.g. Canadian Press and Associated Press) are two of them, as well as the BBC.

April 15, 2024 8:04 pm  #5

I still enjoy watching news.  I do flip around a little just to see how the various networks report on something, especially breaking news.

Tried MSNBC and FOX News for about three months.  Actually didn't really like either of them.  Both too political and entrenched in their camps. FOX is just infotainment fluff news most of the time and tries too hard to be outrageous.  Plus they lie.  MSNBC was a bit self righteous and sometimes whiney.  NBC News is a good package and I don't mind ABC.  But don't usually watch the 6:30 broadcasts of these two.

I watch local news  anywhere from 5-7pm.  CHCH has more local news than CTV Kitchener.  I check out CTV Windsor sometimes and surprisingly through the week they aren't too bad.  I don't get CBC Windsor, guess I could watch on line.  CBC's local casts with the exception of a few out west tend to be not great. 

CNN is the best US cable network as far as I am concerned but they are not popular any longer in the US.  They are big in Canada.  Even with CNN I need to get away since they tend to overdue some stories IMHO.  Last week for a couple of days it seemed to be almost all O.J. all the time.  Also get tired of so much of the Donald, but they are a US network for US viewers.

I enjoy CBC News Network. CTV News Channel, and CP24.  The Canadian news nets aren't as nearly politically entrenched as south of the border.  They don't dwell on stories as much per say. and often are a nice change from CNN, especially on big American political stories.  CBC News Network has moments of being brilliant.  BBC is ok but I don't watch them as much as before.  They make more on air technical mistakes than they should, which is a bit surprising.

Last edited by paterson1 (April 15, 2024 8:13 pm)