sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2024 1:31 am  #1

"Great to Be With you Rob. Let's Bring It Home."

I don’t know if anyone here listens to Know You Know With Rob Snow. It’s an Ottawa based talk show produced at the studios of City News 101.1/1310 News even though the station no longer exists. It airs on Rogers’ news stations in Halifax, Kitchener, Calgary, and Vancouver. It offers interviews with newsmakers, and regularly features right leaning pundits, professors and conservative only panels. Pierre Poilievre, who gives very few one on one interviews, has been a guest three times in the last several weeks.  At the end of a favourable interview last week Rob Snow thanked him for his time and Poilievre responded with, “Great to Be With you Rob.  Let's bring it home.” My question is, is that fair or foul?  Should a host be expected to be neutral on a program that airs on stations that brand themselves as news stations or is it okay for a host to bring an election win home?

You can hear it here from the 27 second mark until 12 mintues and 30 seconds
https://ottawa.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/4/2024/04/08/2024-04-08-nyk.mp3

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 15, 2024 1:39 am)

April 15, 2024 6:26 am  #2

Re: "Great to Be With you Rob. Let's Bring It Home."

Ever listen to John Moore, Tommy? Can't get more biased for the Liberals than him!

April 15, 2024 6:44 am  #3

peter wrote:

Ever listen to John Moore, Tommy? Can't get more biased for the Liberals than him!

It is interesting that some consider facts, reason, integrity, compromise & compassion as being Liberal.

April 15, 2024 7:49 am  #4

Just stop it with the goddamn politics on this board, please, no matter what side anybody's on. Just stop. Is it not possible to have any discussion about broadcasting here without dragging politics into it?

Last edited by Forward Power (April 15, 2024 7:53 am)

April 15, 2024 8:11 am  #5

Forward Power wrote:

Just stop it with the goddamn politics on this board, please, no matter what side anybody's on. Just stop. Is it not possible to have any discussion about broadcasting here without dragging politics into it?

👍

April 15, 2024 8:19 am  #6

I agree, all of them are the same in my book. I will never forget watching Dalton McGuinty being interviewed live on CFTO News at Noon during the first campaign for premier, the reporter asked him about a tax increase, he stared blankly at the camera until his handler whispered in his ear, they abruptly turned away and left the  reporter standing there. That told me all I needed to know. Some are just better at bullshitting then others, the three so called leaders currently in Ottawa being the best at this time. 

April 15, 2024 8:27 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Forward Power wrote:

👍

I think this is a rare instance where this is worthy of discussion. If Justin Trudeau said “Let’s bring it home.” to a CBC host someone would have brought it up here.

April 15, 2024 8:40 am  #8

Forward Power wrote:

It is broadcasting. More centre left talk please. Enough with all that right wing talk crap. Between AM 640 and NT1010 there has been way too much conservative talk.  
Conservative talk is not necessary to pay rent and bills. In fact, conservative listeners pay far less attention to radio ads than the average NDP voter. Think about that the next time you decide to run a talk radio station in Toronto.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 15, 2024 9:23 am  #9

The sad part is that when talk stations bring someone in with a commitment to broadening the diversity of opinions being expressed on the air, they're often turfed before the changes are given a chance to succeed. See Cupido, Amanda.

April 15, 2024 10:18 am  #10

Trudeau guests on any show, any where 3X in few weeks and drops a campaign slogan during the interview and a dozen guys on this board would have a fucken melt down.

April 15, 2024 10:37 am  #11

And this thread is the perfect example of why I try desperately to keep this stuff off this board. 

Here's my take:

If the government does anything that affects broadcasting - like Bill C-11 or Bill C-18 - that's perfect material for SOWNY. 

But there simply is no winning ever on the divide in this country between the ultra left and the ultra right, and never the twain shall meet. (And I'm not talking about Mark or Shania!) Politics is a great talking point, but there's no satisfying either side. And as noted by others besides yours truly, it doesn't belong here and only inflames members, who then leave and never come back. 

I love what we have going here. And I'm against censorship. People have a right to their opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. But there are literally hundreds of other places you can take these discussions - the Star, The National Post, The Globe & Mail, the Toronto Sun, Reddit, Politico - are just a few examples. 

As much as possible, I would prefer to keep this off SOWNY, not because I hate Liberals or Conservatives but because it solves nothing, it divides members, it pisses off people looking to get away from this stuff and - perhaps most important of all - it generally has absolutely nothing to do with radio and TV in Southern Ontario or Western New York. Which last time I looked, is the reason many of us congregate here. 

Vote for who you want. Hate who you want. But please, don't do it here. 

I'm reminded of the best piece of advice I ever got in radio. It was at CHIN-AM, my very first "job" in radio as a volunteer operator. The person training me introduced me to a guy named Wolfgang (really!) who was doing a German show. 

He looked at this 15-year-old kid, shook my hand briskly and said "RA, it's nice to meet you. Whatever you do, don't do it on my show!"

Words to live by!