sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2024 4:03 pm  #1

President Of Evanov Communications Stresses On-Air Talent Over Music

It's not something you hear very often, especially from a smaller radio owner like the Evanovs. But Paul Evanov, who took over the mini-radio empire after his father passed away, insists in a puff piece published on the Canadian Music Week website that anyone can play the music. It's what happens in-between the songs that counts, a philosophy I have to admit I totally agree with.

And in this era of disposable DJs and automation, it's a nice thing to hear an owner say. 

"Nobody talks about this person did the weather amazing or this person talked about the traffic. They talk about entertainment or jokes and how the announcers give away prizes. With the announcers on the radio, how they’re doing it, how they connect with the audience, still having callers on the radio, doing birthday shout outs, wedding shout outs, all that kind of stuff that with our competition — streaming services — can’t do.

"I’m not bashing these companies at all; they do very well, but they don’t have announcers in between them. They don’t have that creative content. They don’t have that sense of humour. They don’t have that entertainment factor. They can’t give you backstage passes to Taylor Swift. Talent is more important than ever, but it’s also sad to see that all the consolidation and a lot of good talent go."

Making Noise with Evanov Communications’ Paul Evanov

April 5, 2024 5:57 pm  #2

Re: President Of Evanov Communications Stresses On-Air Talent Over Music

OK, now who's going to hold him to this?
Will someone remind him of these words when he fires key people from his radio stations, or when he changes to a format where there is nothing but time check and traffic and weather
Will he give a jock a raise when the talent points out to them that they get the ratings, therefore they should be paid more?
Hmmm... let's see.

Last edited by newsguy1 (April 5, 2024 5:59 pm)

April 5, 2024 6:52 pm  #3

newsguy1 wrote:

OK, now who's going to hold him to this?
Will someone remind him of these words when he fires key people from his radio stations, or when he changes to a format where there is nothing but time check and traffic and weather
Will he give a jock a raise when the talent points out to them that they get the ratings, therefore they should be paid more?
Hmmm... let's see.

https://hotcountry885.ca/show-on-air-schedule/
https://hotcountry939.com/show-on-air-schedule/
https://hotcountry925.ca/on-air-shows/
https://hotcountry1077.ca/on-air-shows/

April 5, 2024 8:17 pm  #4

John Tesh on country stations. I don’t think I have seen that before.
Apparently he’s a ratings winner because more than one programmer has told me so but Here’s why you shouldn’t use social media, Here’s why your travel mug is dangerous, Here’s why you shouldn’t eat lunch out, Here’s why you shouldn’t bring a lunch to work, Here’s why email is bad, Here’s why your kids shouldn’t have a phone, Here’s what you shouldn’t say in a job interview, Here’s why sunscreen is killing you, gets really tedious.

April 5, 2024 10:22 pm  #5

I'm not dragging any names into this, but I do know for an absolute fact that a while back, someone turned down mornings on Zee 103five because "They don't pay very good..."

So, long story short, this is a company that wants to brag about the importance of people, but not have to pay them what they might actually be worth. 
"One voice, one choice" radio is also one of their current practices. Local content seems to be very scarce.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 5, 2024 11:43 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

I'm not dragging any names into this, but I do know for an absolute fact that a while back, someone turned down mornings on Zee 103five because "They don't pay very good..." 

Maybe management figures the thrill and privilege of working there should be enough to sustain their employees. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 6, 2024 4:37 pm  #7

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Maybe management figures the thrill and privilege of working there should be enough to sustain their employees. 
PJ

There is at least one person working @ Evanov currently, claiming to be "Happy enough, considering what's been going on over at Bell...lol"

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 6, 2024 6:55 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

There is at least one person working @ Evanov currently, claiming to be "Happy enough, considering what's been going on over at Bell...lol"

I guess there's a silver lining in every cloud. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 6, 2024 8:29 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

So, long story short, this is a company that wants to brag about the importance of people, but not have to pay them what they might actually be worth. 
"One voice, one choice"

Just because one person didn’t like a salary offer doesn’t mean they don’t pay people what they’re worth. Maybe that person demanded something that all of us would think is unreasonable. Negotiations don’t work out sometimes. That happens in every industry every day.
I have no idea what they’re like to work for but I need a bigger sample size than one person.

April 7, 2024 9:00 pm  #10

Could somebody in the know clue me in. If Evanov, and Z103.5 in particular is such a bad place to work and employees are underpaid, why have all the Z103.5 on air staff been there so long? I think Sandra is the newest, but Tony Monaco and Matt Wreggitt have been there for years (since the 1990s I think) and Jimmy T, who is also a long timer, has been there twice.  I know radio is fragile at the moment and there are not many opportunities for on-air people, but it has certainly not always been like that and if a place is really that bad to work at, why have they stayed?

April 9, 2024 9:17 pm  #11

Tony Monaco has been with Evanov for THREE DECADES.

I stopped listening to Z about 14 months ago after Campanelli disappeared from the morning show without any word which is common practicein radio. 

Being a listener of HOT 103...now Z103 since 1995 I know, from listening all those years that the average life of a morning show on that station is about 12 to 18 months.  (Personal opinion: I couldn't stand Sandra) So I stopped listening all together. I had heard their Noon and Drive at 5 mixes so often I knew what song was coming in next...like they were pre-recorded.

I went back to Sirius XM Hits 1 for my morning show fix. 

Some other notable morning show hosts were Jesse Dillon (after AM640 went talk) and the late, great Don Berns.  I remember calling the station asking what happened to Don Berns on the morning show, because they'll never say on-air and I was told he was "in permanent vacation".

A couple of years ago I did email Paul Evanov after one of Bell's first round of cuts to thank them for not being owned by Bell and to show my appreciation for locally owned radio.  He responded rather quickly and thanked me for the kind words.

BBC Radio1 plays more new music and I can listen on the BBC sounds app so they're my replacement for Z103.

April 11, 2024 11:00 am  #12

Love Z103.

So glad they exist in the market.  To me anyway they are unique in the very wide variety of music they play which is unlike any other CHR in the area.  You can hear Morgan Wallen to Luke Combs to Benny Bennassi's Satisfaction with a healthy dose of 'gold' from the 90's and 2000's.

Noon hour Mix and Drive at five mix are Premium.

CIDC is a continuation of Energy 108 IMO when they left after an incredible run themselves.

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

April 13, 2024 8:52 pm  #13

Dave The OTA Guy - Rick Campanelli is now at CHFI doing weekday afternoon drive. 

As far as morning shows - Scott Fox did the morning show for many years, albeit with several different partners including Melanie Martin, Josie Geuer, Ashley Greco, Dave Blizzard, and his current co-host Kat Callahan. Other short termers: Joey Vendetta, Kenny The Hitman Caughlin, The Big D (Darrin Laidman), Cory Kimm and Ami A (his wife/partner)