sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2024 11:19 pm  #1

Rockin' Robin (Robin McMillan)

Sad to report that another member of the FM 108 family has died. Rockin' Robin (Robin McMillan) was CING-FM's long-time evening jock during its oldies era. Robin - who also ran a mobile DJ service for many years - went to the Canadian Radio Network after his FM 108 days, then had stops at CHML, CJRN, CHSC and AM 740 (CHWO). He was also the drummer for the '60s group the Rising Sons.

Robin's passing follows that of FM 108 alumni Dave Jordaine earlier this month and Glenn Darling.in January.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 21, 2024 4:41 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 20, 2024 11:31 pm  #2

Re: Rockin' Robin (Robin McMillan)

This is sad news indeed. 
Didn't he also spend some time over at the late great WJJL 1440 in Niagara falls? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 22, 2024 3:36 pm  #3

I was the Producer of Beatles and Friends at the time on FM-108. I learned a ton about music from Robin. Later i played Dances for his DJ service. I remember doing many CNE's with him. He was one of the good ones. Last time I saw him he was in fine form. He will be missed. Rock on Robin. 

Last edited by Terry Hill (March 22, 2024 3:38 pm)

March 22, 2024 10:39 pm  #4

My mother worked with Robin at his day job before he started with CING-FM. She told me he was very nice, amiable, upbeat and funny. Just like he was on radio.

March 23, 2024 4:29 pm  #5

My father-in-law worked with Robin on a few occasions over the years.

He was hired as the DJ for a couple of milestone birthday events...   Pat was always at his side... a very nice lady.

It was Robin who pointed me in the direction of the Big Yellow Board / SOWNY...

I asked him at one of these events what it was that got him interested in radio and a career in radio. He said that he was always interested in radio, and he even had his own "station" as young teen in Burlington.  He bought a small transmitter with money saved from his paper route and had a turntable in his parents garage. His father helped him with the antenna. I recall he said they lived on Hurd or Hager Ave., and after school, Robin and some friends would get home and head into the garage and turn on the transmitter. He claimed that his station was quite popular with the neighbours. He even sold commercials to friends and neighbours of his parents who had small businesses in Burlington.

Robin said that he eventually had a visit from a couple of men from the Ministry of Communications or CBC ???  According to Robin, they were quite impressed by his station setup, but he was told to cease transmitting.  They also let him keep his equipment, but he was warned that if they had to return in the future, that the transmitter would be ceased.

I'm guessing that this was probably in the early 50s...   I wonder who complained?  Its not like Burlington had a local radio station...  CING FM did not take to the air until '76....

March 28, 2024 5:41 pm  #6

Correction:  Sunday April 7th

The family will be holding a Celebration of Life for Robin on Sunday April 7th between 12pm to 4pm, at the Black Bull in Burlington. (2475 Mountainside Dr. at Guelph Line, North of the QEW).

https://www.smithsfh.com/memorials/robert-mcmillan/5402650/

Last edited by Glen Warren (March 28, 2024 8:24 pm)