sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2024 8:35 pm  #1

Is Bell done with iHeartRadio?

Just checking a few Bell-owned stations, but they are the ones that have been purchased, pending approval. None of them go to iHeartRadio anymore.

In Niagara, it's now https://www.htzfm.com/, or https://www.610cktb.com/https://www.moveradio.ca/niagara.html

In Hamilton, it's now https://www.bounceradio.ca/hamilton.html

March 27, 2024 8:43 pm  #2

Re: Is Bell done with iHeartRadio?

hmmm...CHUM has too:

https://www.chum1045.com/

March 27, 2024 8:48 pm  #3

CFRB is back to newstalk1010.com, which was its old URL before the iHeart branding.

March 27, 2024 9:10 pm  #4

The contact information at the bottom of the websites also have the local addresses and phone numbers now.  Before the mailing address was 299 Queen St. West Toronto for all iHeartradio stations.

March 28, 2024 9:18 am  #5

When you click to listen live on mobile, they still open the iHeartRadio app.
I will be interested to see if and when that changes.

March 28, 2024 9:20 am  #6

I think if you look at the history of iHeart Canada and see the onboarding of non Bell entities like StingRay and Evanov. The Bell stations have a disadvantage by not having their own "local" facing landing pages. it would appear to me that the hosting is on the same servers as the main iHeartradio.ca site and I'd wager this is purely to increase their reach, presence in searches and click appeal.

March 28, 2024 9:25 am  #7

Yes and radio is done with Bell!

March 28, 2024 9:32 am  #8

Also what is going on with the Bounce format? It's sometimes a rock station, other times a Classic Hits station, and other times a Soft A/C. I thought the concept was to create a Boom-like competitor, but now I am terribly confused. Who exactly is the target audience?

Last edited by km93 (March 28, 2024 9:34 am)

March 28, 2024 10:56 am  #9

That’s what happens when you have a broad music library and you don’t have a music director who hand picks every title like Boom does.  It’s a puzzle and the pieces have to fit together exactly right.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 28, 2024 10:59 am)

March 28, 2024 10:57 am  #10

Agree, the scheduling on Bounce is wildly inconsistent. 

March 28, 2024 11:49 am  #11

Thank heavens for Boom and CHOM, they're even more essential on a long weekend.

Last edited by betaylored (March 28, 2024 11:49 am)

April 1, 2024 3:01 pm  #12

I tuned into CFRB Monday (the things I do for this board!) to check on how Jerry Agar and Vassy Kapelos (with guest host Amanda Galbraith) were throwing to break. Both said "...on the iHeart Radio Talk Network." So if they're trying to divorce themselves from the brand, they're not doing a very good job of it. We'll see if Jim Richards continues the trend on his cross-country evening show. 

April 1, 2024 11:33 pm  #13

They've always promoted newstalk1010.com and chum1045.com on their broadcasts (not too sure about the others). What exactly do all of you think has changed as of late?

And I have to agree regarding Bounce CKLH... their music must be on shuffle, whereas it should be curated. C+ to Boom's A- in my view. 

April 2, 2024 7:25 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

I tuned into CFRB Monday (the things I do for this board!) to check on how Jerry Agar and Vassy Kapelos (with guest host Amanda Galbraith) were throwing to break. Both said "...on the iHeart Radio Talk Network." So if they're trying to divorce themselves from the brand, they're not doing a very good job of it. We'll see if Jim Richards continues the trend on his cross-country evening show. 

I did check out Jim Richards' show on Monday night, and yep, the iHeart branding was still all over it. Weird that they seem to be wanting to cut ties with the U.S. entity, and have changed it on their websites but not on air. 

April 2, 2024 8:18 am  #15

The iHeart branding is still on the websites but not as prominent.  Maybe they are phasing it out?  It is still on the CKWW site in Windsor, one of the stations that Bell hopes to sell.  iHeart must be a bit confusing for Bell's Windsor stations since there are iHeart owned stations across the river in Detroit, and basically they have nothing to do with each other.   

April 2, 2024 2:43 pm  #16

I’ve seen speculation that iHeart Radio is on Facebook’s news content black list while individual stations aren’t.
So people seem to think they can use their Facebook pages as long as they aren’t connected to iHeart websites.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 2, 2024 2:44 pm)

April 2, 2024 10:30 pm  #17

Speaking of iHeartRadio, their annual music awards program dipped in the ratings from last year. The awards show was on FOX last night.  I don't think anyone picked up this show in Canada, unless it was on MUCH or MTV.  Last night 1.48 million tuned in stateside.  The show was up against American Idol on ABC with 3.88 million viewers and The Voice on NBC clocking in with 3.17 million.