sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2017 7:16 am  #1

CKWW 580 AM Windsor/Detroit

I don't listen to much radio in the Toronto market these days but  I saw a mention of Windsor's  AM 580 on a blog and then I looked at their playlist and thought that I could actually listen to this in the car. Below is an example and any place that plays Badfinger and The Raspberries in the same hour has my vote.  Decent playlist for the hour.

• "Just A Little Bit Better" ̵ Herman's Hermits
  • 27-03-20174:17 AM"Start Me Up" ̵ The Rolling Stones
  • 27-03-20174:15 AM"Cool Jerk" ̵ The Capitols
  • 27-03-20174:11 AM"Go All The Way" ̵ The Raspberries
  • 27-03-20174:09 AM"Sweet Pea" ̵ Tommy Roe
  • 27-03-20174:06 AM"Best of My Love" ̵ The Emotions
  • 27-03-20174:03 AM"Come And Get It" ̵ Badfinger
  • 27-03-20174:01 AM"Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cr" ̵ Gerry & The Pacemakers
  • 27-03-20173:59 AM"Pride And Joy" ̵ Marvin Gaye
  • 27-03-20173:56 AM"The Shoop Shoop Song" ̵ Betty Everett
  • 27-03-20173:51 AM"Car Wash" ̵ Rose Royce
  • 27-03-20173:49 AM"Do You Wanna Dance" ̵ The Beach Boys
  • 27-03-20173:46 AM"Mighty Love" ̵ The Spinners
  • 27-03-20173:43 AM"Go Now" ̵ The Moody Blues
  • 27-03-20173:41 AM"What Am I Gonna Do?" ̵ Robbie Lane And The Disciples

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 27, 2017 9:09 am  #2

Re: CKWW 580 AM Windsor/Detroit

Only 1 Canadian?   This means that there's gotta be some hours over-burdened with WAY too many 'pretend' golden treats.

It's tough to do but 1 crap-ass song can really hurt a mix.  The rest of THIS specific hour helps to some degree but really?  Is there any reason for anybody to still be playing 'Car Wash'?  'I Wanna Get Next to You' maybe.  But Car Wash?  It's invalid and doesn't stand the test of time with any musical credibility.  It begs for Steve Dahl to come to the rescue.  It's urine floating on a vinyl plate...with a huge hole in the middle of it.

And while we're at it...does Sweat Pea really fit in with the rest of this sample?  Too gummy and therefore dated.  Gum doesn't stand the test of time either.  By the way...how many songs in their universe?  As they seem to cover 3 decades...surely they can manage 70 songs a year...minimum...THAT's 2,100.  And those of those 70 songs they can include tunes which didn't make the top 20 right?  Payola...or lack of it...kept some good songs down.  And then there are lp tracks which have endured...especially during the era when 33 1/3's began to catch, match and then OUT SELL 45's.  There was, after all, a time when many AM stations would go 4 songs deep on new albums in order to offer more variety and to compete, at least musically, with FM.

CKWW should be aware that FM finally caught and then beat AM [just like lps caught and beat singles] in the mid 70s and they should consider their library accordingly.  Let's NOT remember the losing team exclusively.  That limits your audience much to the detriment of numbers and sales.  I have yet to hear a radio station do it anywhere close to right 24/7 since CHUM and CKEY went head to head with limitations which ultimately failed them both back in the late 80s.

Last edited by Old Codger (March 27, 2017 9:24 am)

March 27, 2017 9:16 am  #3

agree with OC re Car Wash but compared to the usual on classic hits and classic rock, the music's not bad but my initial excitement has been tempered by the fact that as I have listened today there has been no DJ and the station is owned by one of those corps. Oh and as I was looking a bit more into the Cancon, they played "I Symoilize you" by the Last Words"  that beats all the you know who we have become used to. Not bad for a Jukebox if not radio..

Last edited by Fitz (March 27, 2017 9:24 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

March 27, 2017 9:34 am  #4

I agree Fitz, that songs like that one from The Last Words need to be included but...the audience is not comprised only of music buffs and aficionados who go THAT deep into the pool.  So?  What to do?  Guess Who poisoning can be a tune-out for sure.  You put the Guess Who songs into 2 lists.  Each time through just 1 song from each list gets played.  The next time it's their turn...the next song on the list plays instead.  And so on so that we don't get over cooked with too much from any given artist...especially those who only partially earned their spot due to content regulations which artificially forced issues and results which otherwise might not have stood on their own two feet.

Do the same with those forgotten favourites...be they Canadian or international.  That way they don't get over-played yet they do get some recognition...especially from the musicologists out there in radio land.  "I haven't heard THAT one in years" is still great programming.

"Good gawd!!!  Not that one again.  They played it yesterday" is ultimate oldies stations ratings/business death.  [That includes YOU...Q...107.]

Last edited by Old Codger (March 27, 2017 9:38 am)

March 27, 2017 9:42 am  #5

Old Codger wrote:

Only 1 Canadian?   This means that there's gotta be some hours over-burdened with WAY too many 'pretend' golden treats.

Actually with the special rules the Windsor stations have.. I think they only have to run 20-25% cancon.

Last edited by radiokid (March 27, 2017 9:43 am)

March 27, 2017 10:16 am  #6

Still.  Ya gotta make up for it somewhere.   And loading Can Con into off hours is dirty pool.  Kinda like shortening 'em down to 60 something seconds and playing 30 - 40 of 'em between 11:00 and midnight eh Jimmy?  Oh Canada.  Our home and native land...Dammit!!!

And what's with those 'special' rules?  Doesn't Toronto have to contend with Buffalo?  Vancouver / Seattle?  The rest of us with the internet and those dick-wad satellite stations...plus those unattended jukebox choices on the cable TV?  What makes 'Wind Sore' so g-d'd special?  The Spitfires?

Last edited by Old Codger (March 27, 2017 10:17 am)

March 27, 2017 10:37 am  #7

Fitz wrote:

agree with OC re Car Wash but compared to the usual on classic hits and classic rock, the music's not bad but my initial excitement has been tempered by the fact that as I have listened today there has been no DJ and the station is owned by one of those corps. Oh and as I was looking a bit more into the Cancon, they played "I Symoilize you" by the Last Words"  that beats all the you know who we have become used to. Not bad for a Jukebox if not radio..

I think this station is full time automated. Not even a morning drive announcer. After Charlie O. retired he was never replaced. They still get respectable ratings given the format and 500 watt AM signal. Many of the commercials are aimed at Americans. And I am guessing the station still makes money. I've lost track of all the local signals in the Detroit / Windsor area, but I don't think anyone is playing oldies / greatest hits other than CKWW. Despite relatively low power, that 580 signal goes a long way; their listeners are pretty loyal. Can someone say 'content'.

March 27, 2017 10:41 am  #8

Why does everyone get this wrong? Radio stations go silent, TV stations go dark.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/silent-radio-lists

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 27, 2017 10:45 am  #9

Old Codger wrote:

Only 1 Canadian?   This means that there's gotta be some hours over-burdened with WAY too many 'pretend' golden treats.

It's overnight.

March 27, 2017 10:56 am  #10

Doesn't count. 
---------------------------

Oh wait.  You're right.  It was the all-night show.  'Scuse me.  A dolt...yet again.

------------------------------

So why would they run the added risk of further burning Robbie Lane out on the all-night show when there's absolutely no need or reason to?

Last edited by Old Codger (March 27, 2017 11:09 am)

March 27, 2017 11:45 am  #11

CKWW Windsor-Detroit is a station I like and listen to fairly often...its signal strength is quite acceptable at 200 kilometers away.

Are they really only 500 watts?? Didn't know that...

March 28, 2017 2:02 pm  #12

Old Codger"..  Guess Who poisoning can be a tune-out for sure .."

disagree .. 'course it's all personal opinion .. a common refrain; just delve further into the Guess Who catalogue beyond "the hits" .. 

Guess Who - Road Food - Attila's Blues

Guess Who - Live at the Paramount - Pain Train

Guess Who - Rockin' - Back to the City

March 28, 2017 2:54 pm  #13

g121 wrote:

Old Codger"..  Guess Who poisoning can be a tune-out for sure .."

disagree .. 'course it's all personal opinion .. a common refrain; just delve further into the Guess Who catalogue beyond "the hits" .. 

Well...when you put it THAT way...I disagree with me too.  I do agree with you though.  And not just with the Guess Who.  Set the "greatest hits" aside to a significant degree.  Package 'em into a file so that one from the file gets played in rotation.  Then the next time around a different one plays. etc etc.  It slows the rotation on those WAY down while allowing a couple of other files with their GREAT album tracks [which folks who are into oldies and the Guess Who will appreciate and enjoy likely even more than those songs which have been played almost to death.] to freshen the sound.

Reading charts is bad for the ears.  [and the radio station's music mix.]  GROW UP!!!  You're audience did.

March 28, 2017 3:05 pm  #14

The Guess Who were actually the topic of the blog post that made me curious about the station because they mentioned CKWW. Was on a American site and they don't suffer from the GW poisoning by the hits that we do up here: C&L's Music Club With The Guess Who

Cool Airchecks and More: