sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2024 3:17 pm  #1

If Only This Headline Was What It Seemed...

I couldn't believe it when I saw a headline in my news feeds that read:

SCTV acquires local radio station. 

Yes, it was too good to be true. It's not that SCTV of course. This one stands for Salisbury Community TV, and abbreviates as SCTV. It's from a newspaper in a place called Newburyport, Mass. (does that sound like Melonville to anyone?) and its about a local community channel buying a small station in the area. 

But what if it had been the thing that spun through my head when I first encountered that headline? Imagine how great (or terrible) that would be. 

Gerry Todd could do mornings. (🎵 Gerry Todd!🎵) 

Johnny LaRue might be the drive home jock, still looking for his crane shot.

Floyd Robertson and Earl Camembert could handle the 6 o'clock news. 

And Ed Grimley might be on overnights, since he can't sleep anyway, waiting for Santa, I must say. 

Hello? Yes, I'd like to request "She Does It," by the Five Neat Guys. Thanks Gerry!

Now THERE'S an overlooked radio format I would definitely listen to, commercials and all. 

March 26, 2024 3:19 pm  #2

Re: If Only This Headline Was What It Seemed...

Who's the fortunate soul to get William B. Williams as a co-host?

March 26, 2024 3:34 pm  #3

Perhaps he might feel at home on Sammy Maudlin's night time show. And then on Sunday, we could do ethnic program, with the Schmenge Bros., brought to you by Mrs. Vilve Yachke's catering. 

March 26, 2024 3:45 pm  #4

Cabbage rolls and coffee for all!

March 26, 2024 4:00 pm  #5

Ed Needle would be News Director and do the Editorials. Ed-itorials, get it? Lola Heatherton could be Music Director and Entertainment Reporter, plus Edith Prickley would be  Program Director. When we were producing "Radio Kandy" with John Candy in LA '89-'90, Andrea Martin came in to guest and we had her do Edith Prickly as John's program Director for the full two hours...interrupting John, telling him how he should do radio. It was a classic show (mainly thanks to John and Andrea's ad libs.

March 26, 2024 4:37 pm  #6

Doug Thompson wrote:

Ed Needle would be News Director and do the Editorials. Ed-itorials, get it? Lola Heatherton could be Music Director and Entertainment Reporter, plus Edith Prickley would be  Program Director. When we were producing "Radio Kandy" with John Candy in LA '89-'90, Andrea Martin came in to guest and we had her do Edith Prickly as John's program Director for the full two hours...interrupting John, telling him how he should do radio. It was a classic show (mainly thanks to John and Andrea's ad libs.

Do any of those shows still exist? Are they online somewhere? I'm sure there are rights issues, but I'm betting a lot of us here would like to hear them.

March 26, 2024 6:36 pm  #7

The Radio Kandy Shows were sent to U.S. stations on vinyl. I do have almost all of those shows. We did two hours a week, 52 weeks for 2 years, so just over 200 hours. John wanted to do almost an SCTV on radio with parody commercials, which we did and of course, we played music. We even had Jimmy Doohan as Scotty, Radio Kandy's engineer. I wrote all of those opens & closes and John and Jimmy were magic together.  I'll send some segments to you RA and you can put them on SOWNY if that's works for you. 

March 26, 2024 7:01 pm  #8

Gerry Todd was just so spot on accurate it actually sort of was not funny.
Years ago I worked for a so-called "candle light and wine" radio format.
It was radio, not video but the announcing style and safe and vanilla music was exact.
Of course what was really funny about Gerry Todd was the MOR version of "Turning Japanese."
Trivia buffs will know the real song by the Vapors was a racist song about masturbation.
I wonder if it ever gets any radio play anywhere in this day and age.

Last edited by newsguy1 (March 26, 2024 7:02 pm)

March 26, 2024 7:08 pm  #9

Doug Thompson wrote:

The Radio Kandy Shows were sent to U.S. stations on vinyl. I do have almost all of those shows. We did two hours a week, 52 weeks for 2 years, so just over 200 hours. John wanted to do almost an SCTV on radio with parody commercials, which we did and of course, we played music. We even had Jimmy Doohan as Scotty, Radio Kandy's engineer. I wrote all of those opens & closes and John and Jimmy were magic together.  I'll send some segments to you RA and you can put them on SOWNY if that's works for you. 

That would be amazing! I will be in touch to see how we can proceed. 

March 26, 2024 7:23 pm  #10

But it wouldn't be SCTV without Sunrise Semester. Take this classic episode, which mirrors the views of many of the current Konvoy krowd:

Sunrise Semester with Dr. Hammond Greer

March 27, 2024 4:31 am  #11

it's not surprising that someone as talented as Martin Short has been spending a good deal of personal time with Meryl Streep, whether they're best friends or something more romantic remains to be seen

as a teenager I always thought SCTV deserved as much attention and praise as SNL even though they were very different creations

I would love to hear the The Radio Kandy Show segments on the big yellow board. 🤞🎙️📻

Last edited by betaylored (March 27, 2024 4:36 am)

March 27, 2024 6:36 am  #12

It's a strange coincidence that I would come across another odd headline in less than 24 hours. But here it is:

Andy Kim deals blow to New Jersey Democratic machine

Baby, How'd We Ever Get This Way?

March 27, 2024 10:11 am  #13

March 27, 2024 11:31 am  #14

William B- "Sammy..if I could just say something..."
Sammy Maudlin- "Not now William B."
William B.- "Ok Sammy...anything you say.."  

March 27, 2024 11:44 pm  #15

Hansa, that demo with Don Pardo was NOT for "Radio Kandy". We did that for Transtar in the U.S. This was for Telemedia in Canada.
It was for a weekly 90 minute Canadian radio show, "That Radio Show with John Candy". 
Q107 carried it in Toronto. Loved working with Don Pardo on this demo. I wrote Pardo's lines. John adlibbed his parts.