sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2024 3:22 pm  #1

"Kawartha Time Machine" Online Site Not Your Average Oldies Station

Have to admit I've never heard of the "Kawartha Time Machine" before. It's an online oldies station which I believe is based in Peterborough and it comes with a difference. In addition to playing the usual hits from the past, it also has shows dedicated to the Big Band, Standards and the Swing era, salutes classic country, plays old time radio shows and comedy records, airs classic radio and TV commercials and even occasionally puts on restored airchecks from the glory days of CHEX, CKPT and CKLY in Lindsay. 

There's even a show dedicated to pioneer DJ Alan Freed.

Here's how it describes its mission.

But now it's going one step further, arranging a deal to replay classic OHL games involving the Peterborough Petes, contests that haven't been heard on the radio since they were first aired decades ago. The idea is not just nostalgia but to give listeners a chance to hear about some now famous NHLers who've since graduated to the big time back before they were household names. 

One of the games goes back to 1979, while another is against the Marlies in 1986. 

It's not surprising it would go there - the guy who runs the site is the arena announcer for the Petes.  

Historic Petes games to air on Kawartha Time Machine online radio station

Curious to hear what it sounds like? You can find it here.

March 27, 2024 4:55 pm  #2

Re: "Kawartha Time Machine" Online Site Not Your Average Oldies Station

catching some old classic OHL games could be pretty cool ..

we went to many of the Toronto Marlies junior games in the mid-70s .. the games were a blast .. many players from that team made it to the NHL.

Toronto Marlboros 1974-75

we normally went on Sunday afternoons & had to have our pre-game meal of chopped sirloin at the Harvey Wallbanger's right beside Maple Leaf Gardens : )) .. 

March 27, 2024 5:17 pm  #3

Not sure if you remember a few years ago, when the Fan 590 would present the two World Series games when the Jays won it all. They aired during the otherwise quiet Christmas holidays, and it was tremendous to hear Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth call both series against the Braves and the Phillies. 

They did it for a few years and then stopped, which is a shame. Not only was it surreal hearing it in the middle of winter, but those two WS wins were some of the greatest moments in Toronto sports history. It was great to experience them again, especially the now iconic "Touch Em All Joe" call! Still brings tears to my eyes all these years later.

March 27, 2024 5:21 pm  #4

You mean you weren’t calling the station demanding that they run the usual lineup over Christmas?
I thought you hated special programming airing during the holidays.