sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2024 5:18 pm  #1

Update: No Moore In The Morning For Over A Week

CFRB is staging a special Princess Margaret Lottery charity event later this week, which is why regular morning show host John Moore will be switching places for the day with Deb Hutton. She'll be taking the AM run while he goes back to afternoons.

Moore, of course, started at the station doing afternoons and I still believe he likes the PM drive shift better than the helter skelter craziness of the way too early mornings. 

It's only a one-day event and things will be back to normal after the one-off change of hours. But I actually enjoy hearing Moore in the afternoon. 

March 19, 2024 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Update: No Moore In The Morning For Over A Week

I am not privy to the inner workings of 1010 but I wonder why John has to do the Princess Margaret fundraiser.
Does he have a personal reason to want to do so, like cancer in the family?
It seems to me Deb Hutton or really any other host could do the Princess Margaret gig.
Basically it's just promoting the Princess Margaret lottery and interviewing spokespeople from the hospital.
And a fine hospital it is too.
That being said I'm sure he'll do a great job.
Anyway at least it's not Jerry Agar who would no doubt just want to know how much everything Princess Margaret costs and if he had to pay for it.,

March 19, 2024 9:07 pm  #3

newsguy1 wrote:

I am not privy to the inner workings of 1010 but I wonder why John has to do the Princess Margaret fundraiser.

Because they're a client, and get what they want.

March 19, 2024 9:24 pm  #4

Good point actually,
I was not thinking that Princess Margaret would actually pay for John Moore specifically to do the show for them.
Silly me.

March 20, 2024 6:34 am  #5

An update to this story: While Moore is switching to afternoons for the charity event on Thursday (which he'll be co-hosting with Deb Hutton) he'll also be off on Friday and all of next week, travelling to L.A. 

In his place during that absence will be John Tory. I believe at least part of those appearances will be via remote. Tory was on the air with Moore early Wednesday from an airport, where he was heading to Ottawa for the ceremonies surrounding tributes to the late Brian Mulroney. He mentioned that he was also going to Montreal for the funeral, which almost certainly means he won't be in Toronto for the rest of the week when he does the initial morning run. 

I know there are some here who can no longer stand hearing Tory's voice on the radio, so if they're regular 'RB morning listeners, it's going to be a long week!

March 20, 2024 7:00 am  #6

For a station that has less than 1% share, this is a non-issue as very few will notice.
BTW, if I was the decision maker for the Princess Margaret Lottery charity event, I would be thinking to move it to another station.

March 20, 2024 7:32 am  #7

newsguy1 wrote:

It seems to me Deb Hutton or really any other host could do the Princess Margaret gig.

Given the damage the Harris Tories did to the hospital system and Hutton's role in that regime, helping raise money for a hospital would be an appropriate use of her time.

March 20, 2024 8:35 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

Because they're a client, and get what they want.

I think Moore gets the gig as he is probably the best 1010 currently has IMO, plus I have no problems with giving a client what they want, as they’re paying for it.

March 20, 2024 9:04 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

An update to this story: While Moore is switching to afternoons for the charity event on Thursday (which he'll be co-hosting with Deb Hutton) he'll also be off on Friday and all of next week, travelling to L.A. 

In his place during that absence will be John Tory. I believe at least part of those appearances will be via remote. Tory was on the air with Moore early Wednesday from an airport, where he was heading to Ottawa for the ceremonies surrounding tributes to the late Brian Mulroney. He mentioned that he was also going to Montreal for the funeral, which almost certainly means he won't be in Toronto for the rest of the week when he does the initial morning run. 

I know there are some here who can no longer stand hearing Tory's voice on the radio, so if they're regular 'RB morning listeners, it's going to be a long week!

Thanks for the warning.  I usually check in with Moore in the morning for a while, but it'll be 640 only all week if Tory's anywhere near a microphone or phone.

March 20, 2024 10:08 am  #10

Next week's CFRB mornings will sound entirely different overall. It's not just Moore who will be missing. Jerry Agar has announced he'll be off on a trip to visit his son, who lives in Texas. So from 6 AM to noon, none of the regulars will be there. No word yet on who's taking his place.

March 20, 2024 10:17 am  #11

Simple answer, Moore is the best they have and the only one that can handle the subtleties of this type of broadcast. 

March 20, 2024 2:03 pm  #12

Have listened since the early Wally Crouter days and have tried to tolerate its Bell influence but alas, no more.
The once mighty 1010 is nothing but a shell of its former self lacking continuity and stability.  Moved the dial a month ago to FM.

March 20, 2024 6:19 pm  #13

I'll be switching back and forth between John Tory and Bill Carroll (thanks for the Bill Carroll idea unclefester!) depending on the topic. And the amount of irritating spots. I'll still make it a point to catch the features with Dan Riskin and Carmi Levy that are generally interesting.

Sidebar: I'm really looking forward to
hearing the podcast John Moore is currently in the process of writing/creating. He's mentioned a subject for an episode that he's working on in passing on MITM at least twice that I've noticed, the first time was during last Monday's show and he spoke about his podcast again this week. John hasn't given any details about a launch date or platform or even a name for the podcast.

He sounds really happy about working on his podcast episodes.

Perhaps John has requested a move back to afternoons in the next few months or next year...

1010 listeners are tired of the lack of direction, leadership and investment in the CFRB radio station and will definitely welcome the John Moore podcast with his signature brand of brainy charm and thoughtfulness. I can't wait.

Last edited by betaylored (March 21, 2024 7:55 am)

March 20, 2024 11:19 pm  #14

I will be off to The Morning Rush With Bill Carroll for the next week plus.

John Tory just ain't my cup of tea

Speaking of Mr. Carroll, he was singing the praises on Tuesday morning of Montreal Liberal MP Anthony Housefather, who has expressed his clear dismay & disdain with the Trudeau governments recent action over Gaza. Couldn't haven't spoken more highly of Mr. Housefather for showing "courage & integrity" on the issue.

Then without missing a step, Carroll ended his praises by offering his congratulations to "Mr. Horsefeather" 

None of the morning crew at CFRA, including Mr. Carroll apparently caught his faux pas

March 21, 2024 6:04 am  #15

Yep, I will be changing channels.  No John Tory for me!

March 21, 2024 9:23 am  #16

Aaaaaaaand Tory just helmed a fawning interview with a rep from Zaka. I tuned out - things seem to be going very well on the good ship 1010.

March 27, 2024 10:06 am  #17

This is almost getting ridiculous. Bob Reid did the last hour of MITM and now is sitting in for Jerry Agar. Did Mr. Tory have a Rogers business meeting he had to attend?

I really enjoy Bob Reid so at least I'll be able to listen to 1010 for an extended period of time.