sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2024 5:45 pm  #1

Former Corus Overnight Host Turns Up On CFRB

Shane Hewitt departed The Shift, which aired overnights on Corus talk stations across the country, in February. It marked the last live overnight network show on the major stations in Canada and now everyone has rerolls. 

I thought I recognized the voice when I turned on 1010's The Rush on Monday. With Deb Hutton filling in for Jerry Agar, they needed a fill-in for the afternoon show. And Hewitt seemed like the perfect fit. He started the show with Robert Turner acting as a kind of co-host, but he disappeared after 4:30 PM and Hewitt finished the show on his own. He'll be doing it all week. 

As far as I know, Hewitt is a West Coaster and it sounds like he was doing the show from B.C. and not Toronto. He did a pretty good job overall and I wonder if he's in consideration for the gig full time. 

March 26, 2024 1:15 pm  #2

Re: Former Corus Overnight Host Turns Up On CFRB

I really liked him.  It was a weird direction to take considering the stable of guest hosts they could have used.  The tone seemed to suggest that he is being given the opportunity to be the new permanent host.  Otherwise, why would they put someone on from BC with Coach Turner sitting with him silently guiding and helping him through?  

March 26, 2024 3:17 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

It marked the last live overnight network show on the major stations in Canada

There's the legacy of The Shift right there.

March 26, 2024 4:40 pm  #4

Hewitt is listenable, which is a major improvement over anybody they've had in that time slot since John Moore.