sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2024 9:35 am  #1

ABC Promising Live Solar Eclipse Special On April 8th

It will air from 2-4 PM on a host of ABC owned networks, including the main channel, seen here on WKBW. The special will hopscotch North America as the eclipse moves from city to city over the course of two hours. (Niagara Falls, N.Y. will be highlighted from 3:18 -3:22 PM.) It's not clear yet if other networks will follow suit, although I'd expect the cable all news outlets like CNN and MSNBC in the U.S. and CTV and CBC here to have wall to wall (or sky to sky) coverage. 

As most here know, the Ontario side of the Falls has gone into overdrive about this, because it's in the path of totality, the perfect spot to see this rare celestial event. Thousands and thousands of people are expected to converge on area, with hotel rates already spiking to record levels and the hype about this going through the roof. 

I hate to be a killjoy but has anyone thought about what happens if it's raining that day? 

ABC News and Nat Geo Partner to Produce 2-Hour Live Special ‘Eclipse Across America’ on April 8

March 22, 2024 10:01 am  #2

Re: ABC Promising Live Solar Eclipse Special On April 8th

Yes the thought of a rainy or generally overcast day had crossed my mind. But I am ready for the big event. My NASA approved manufacturer solar glasses arrived yesterday. Just for the record, the last total solar eclipse to cover the GTA was Jan 25, 1925. My dad was three weeks old! The next one will occur on October 26, 2144, which is a Monday. Not that any of us will be around to see it happen.

March 22, 2024 5:16 pm  #3

mace wrote:

Yes the thought of a rainy or generally overcast day had crossed my mind. But I am ready for the big event. My NASA approved manufacturer solar glasses arrived yesterday. Just for the record, the last total solar eclipse to cover the GTA was Jan 25, 1925. My dad was three weeks old! The next one will occur on October 26, 2144, which is a Monday. Not that any of us will be around to see it happen.

Speak for yourself! I woke up today, and nothing hurt! 2144 seems well within reach!

March 22, 2024 6:34 pm  #4

Tomas Barlow wrote:

mace wrote:

Speak for yourself! I woke up today, and nothing hurt! 2144 seems well within reach!

Hey maybe you will finally witness another Leaf Stanley Cup Championship!

March 22, 2024 6:50 pm  #5

mace wrote:

Hey maybe you will finally witness another Leaf Stanley Cup Championship!

Yeah, right.

March 23, 2024 11:10 am  #6

I heard a segment on CBC and the expert said that NASA did not endorse ANY glasses so caution is in order...

March 23, 2024 11:35 am  #7

As far as glasses go, the key is to make sure they have ISO 12312-2 certification. It will be printed somewhere on the inside of the glasses. 

Rain? Yes, I assure you everyone who's been working on eclipse preps (I've been part of the Rochester planning task force since 2017) is well aware of what the weather can be like around here. There's nothing that can be done about it - if it rains, it rains, but if it doesn't (and it's been clear and sunny the last two years on April 8), it's one of the most amazing things you'll ever experience, IF you get inside the line of totality, which means getting to at least Hamilton from Toronto. 

As a planner, you have to prepare for the best-case scenario, which is half a million people coming here to Rochester from NYC and other locations outside the path of totality, while accepting the things that are out of your control, like the weather. We have a ton of events scheduled that will still be fun for visitors even if it's not sunny on the 8th. We'll make the most of it. 

I have a series running on WXXI talking about my experience with totality in 2017 and what it's going to be like here if the weather cooperates. 

Part 1 is here, with more coming this week:

https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/2024-03-20/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-an-eclipse

March 23, 2024 2:48 pm  #8

Here's how Monty Python covered the 1972 eclipse of the sun:

https://youtu.be/1qQEsVl0wkQ?si=YhLa6W2zwTyN3E0N&t=31

Last edited by Stacks of wax (March 23, 2024 2:52 pm)

How could Hell be worse?

March 26, 2024 7:22 am  #9

Well, here's a version of eclipse programming I honestly would never have thought of. The Niagara Frontier Radio Reading Service is offering full coverage of the celestial event for the blind. What a great idea. But how do they do it?

"During the day of “totality” the organization will be broadcasting a two hour show on the eclipse featuring interviews with NASA personnel, scientists and other local experts.

They will also be sharing a 2-by-3 foot raised tactile map with braille in which users can trace the path of totality that crosses over North America.

“People can also feel the size of the sun compared to the moon and how that creates a shadow through the different phases of the eclipse.”

Niagara Frontier Radio Reading Service highlighting accessible programming for eclipse

March 30, 2024 10:25 pm  #10

I saw a promo on WGRZ-TV the other day that promises Channel 2 in Buffalo is interrupting all of its programming - network and local - to present all day coverage of the eclipse on April 8th. It's supposed to start at 12 PM and continue until 6:30 that night. Since the totality is between 3-4 PM, I have no idea what they'll do to fill all that time.

I'll be curious what the Canadian stations will do, although the all news channels here will be on it all day. Whether any of our OTA channels will interrupt programming remains to be seen. 

April 6, 2024 10:28 am  #11

CHCH is broadcasting Morning Live from Niagara Falls on Monday 6am to 10am.  They also will have the eclipse live at 3pm with a special from Niagara and Hamilton.  CBC TV has a news special- The Eclipse in Canada from 1-4pm. They will be reporting live from various locations. Nothing is showing on my TV grid Monday afternoon for any live coverage on CTV or Global

ABC, NBC and CBS all have live coverage Monday afternoon.  ABC 2-4pm, NBC 2-3pm, and CBS 2-3:30pm.  Nothing is scheduled on FOX according to my television's schedule Monday afternoon. 

April 6, 2024 2:03 pm  #12

This has the makings of another Geraldo Rivera and The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults television spectacular.

Last edited by betaylored (April 6, 2024 2:05 pm)

April 6, 2024 2:21 pm  #13

betaylored wrote:

This has the makings of another Geraldo Rivera and The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults television spectacular.

Can I get an Amen?

The hype is a km wide, but nary a mm deep.

April 8, 2024 8:16 am  #14

paterson1 wrote:

CHCH is broadcasting Morning Live from Niagara Falls on Monday 6am to 10am.  They also will have the eclipse live at 3pm with a special from Niagara and Hamilton.  CBC TV has a news special- The Eclipse in Canada from 1-4pm. They will be reporting live from various locations. Nothing is showing on my TV grid Monday afternoon for any live coverage on CTV or Global

ABC, NBC and CBS all have live coverage Monday afternoon.  ABC 2-4pm, NBC 2-3pm, and CBS 2-3:30pm.  Nothing is scheduled on FOX according to my television's schedule Monday afternoon. 

According to my Rogers Ignite guide KING has NBC coverage from 2-4pm,  KIRO has CBS coverage from 2-3:30pm and KOMO has ABC coverage from 3-4pm. In the GTA WGRZ has local coverage from 11:30am-4pm. WIVB has CBS from 2-3pm and local from 3-4pm. WKBW is all local from 2-4pm. CBC from 1-4pm. Weather Channel 3-4pm. CHCH 3-3:30PM.

April 8, 2024 8:28 am  #15

One thing I have read is that those with pets should keep them inside during the eclipse. It would be difficult to stop your dog or cat from looking up.

April 8, 2024 4:00 pm  #16

Well I went outside around 3:15 today [Avenue Rd/401]. Very overcast. However, at exactly 3:19 all the streetlights came on and it did get darker. That's it! I PVR'd some of the coverage to watch later. Somewhere it had to be sunny and clear.