sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2024 5:51 pm  #1

TIME Magazine Picks The All Time Top Sci Fi TV Shows

They don't put them in any particular order and many of the classics you'd expect are there - The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, The X-Files, etc. - and there are some that are inexcusably left out. (The Outer Limits anyone?)

There is one I've never heard of or seen and at least two of them are Canadian - the classic Orphan Black is one I watched, and then there's something called "Lexx." I can't say I have any memory of "Lexx" but it apparently originated here.

I'm very glad they left out at least one Canadian embarrassment - The Starlost, a series that starred 2001: A Space Odyssey's Keir Dullea, was made by CTV in 1973 and suffered from extreme cheapness of budget, which is something that's very noticeable in a sci fi series. 

Also thankfully not mentioned - Space: 1999, which starred Martin Landau and his wife Barbara Bain. I always thought it was a Canuck production, but it was actually made in Britain. The critics had a field day when one of the characters uttered this immortal line in the pilot: "We're sitting on the biggest bomb in history!"

The reviewers, unfortunately, agreed!

TIME List Of The Best Sci-Fi TV Shows of All Time

March 21, 2024 7:03 pm  #2

Re: TIME Magazine Picks The All Time Top Sci Fi TV Shows

Space 1999 also featured actor Barry Morse, who was famous for playing the cop, Phillip Gerard, who pursued the fugitive, David Jansen in the iconic TV show.
I met Barry in Victoria  when I was working in radio news, and he came to the city to live for a while.
He was trying to drum up support for the city of Victoria to help support the building of a Shakespearian Globe theatre.
I thought it was a great idea and did a bunch of news stories on him and his efforts.
In the process we became friends and used to meet periodically for a few beers at a local pub.
He was a great guy and told me many stories about his days on The Fugitive, and of course Space 1999, which he was embarrassed about.

March 22, 2024 9:30 am  #3

I have never been a huge sy-fi fan as evidenced by the fact that of the 28 series listed, I was aware of only nine and regularly watched just two. [The Twilight Zone, Lost in Space.] Three other series, that did not make the list, that I enjoyed were One Step Beyond, Outer Limits and Night Gallery. One Step Beyond was one of the first series aired on WUTV in late 1970. That is how I discovered it.

March 22, 2024 2:30 pm  #4

I watched a few shows on that list. I remember V being something of an event (as well as other non-Sci-Fi miniseries). I'd like to see a network do a mini-series like that again; 2-3hrs a night for however many consecutive nights. Those mini-series were everywhere in the late '70s/early '80s.

March 25, 2024 7:45 pm  #5

Super article, thanks RA.

I've been watching a bunch of The Outer Limits episodes that are posted on YouTube, man they really were well done and creepy as hell at times.

Star Trek is comfort food. Fringe is excellent, and worth hunting down. And Battlestar Galactica is aging gracefully too. I liked Orphan Black.

Yesterday I saw the trailer for the new Disney version of Dr.Who and it looks like it might be goodish. I like the new doctor.

Last edited by betaylored (March 25, 2024 7:51 pm)

March 25, 2024 7:52 pm  #6

I will always have a soft spot in my heart (and in my head!) for the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica. My late best friend, who chose MAiD after a long and difficult illness, and I always used to watch it together when we were younger and for some reason fell in love with the thing.

He didn't live to see the SyFy remake, but he probably would have liked that, too. (Or he may have been horrified at the changes they made. Sadly, I'll never get to ask him.)

I once did an interview with Commander Adama (aka Lorne Greene) and he simply refused to talk about the show, so I'm guessing it was not a pleasant experience for him. 

The original Outer Limits (the B&W version) was also terrific but so was the Showtime remake decades later. The newer one did an episode where a Holocaust survivor goes back to rescue his child who died in a Nazi concentration camp. It was as incredible and moving a piece of science fiction as I think I've ever seen.  

March 25, 2024 8:14 pm  #7

I actually found Space 1999 duller than Starlost. I did manage to sit through most of Starlost's episodes for some reason - I can't recall why, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it but there wasn't much else on Saturday afternoons and it had become familiar enough for me to be able to tune in and not be lost, so to say. Conversely, I never actually watched more than 5 minutes of Space 1999 and never had a clue what was going on.