sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2024 10:54 am  #1

Kevin Newman's latest in the Star

The following column will appear in Sunday's print edition of the Star. While I disagree with Newman's assessment of the importance of W5 (I always found it much more of a reactive news show that provided deeper insight into existing issues, as opposed to breaking investigative stories like The Fifth Estate), it's clear that long-form storytelling in Canadian TV is on the brink of collapse. Apologies to those of you who hit the paywall on this one.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/bell-is-gutting-canadian-journalism-and-handing-a-gift-to-the-enemies-of-truth/article_d8fcead2-e799-11ee-8316-a3e54a9485c8.html

March 23, 2024 5:33 pm  #2

Re: Kevin Newman's latest in the Star

I do wonder if maybe W5 wouldn't have benefited more from a 60 Minutes type approach... I've found that 60 Min will do a mix of dark/gloomy stories and then something more optimistic (cute animal story, interview with a famous celebrity, positive story about future technology, etc). 

Whenever I see promos for W5, it's usually a dark depressing story about human trafficking, injustice against some undeserving victim, environmental disaster, serial killers, etc. It's not enticing to promote a W5 story during the 6pm newscast which is already filled with depressing news. Viewers are not going to clamour for more bad news, no matter how important or insightful it might be.

March 23, 2024 8:28 pm  #3

For those who hit a paywall:

https://archive.ph/hp7eD

March 23, 2024 8:35 pm  #4

W5 did have some lighter stories every so often but like 60 Minutes this isn't what they are likely going to put in a promo running prior to the show.

When we still had weekly ratings available to us, W5 usually was in the top 30 shows in Canada.  60 Minutes didn't make the top 30 that often in Canada, partially because it got so messed up by NFL football and Global not benefitting from the NFL lead in.  So 60 Minutes is huge in the US but not so much here, or at least according to the weekly ratings a few years ago. 

W5 also predated 60 minutes by two years, so a shame that Bell can't see fit for this successful newsmagazine to continue.