sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2024 10:02 pm  #1

CNBC article states that radio listenership is holding it's own

Yes, radio ad revenue may be down, but people are still tuning in. The key reasons are that it is accessible, low cost and the ability to listen online has helped radio compete in the changing landscape. Even the plethora of podcasts hasn't hurt.

Here is the article, it goes into more detail than what I am suggesting. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/05/radio-resilience-media.html

Even in Toronto, what I notice about radio is that mainstream music radio stations are thriving, yet talk radio is sagging big time and nice music stations are also being challenged. Listeners are still listening, but the key leading stations are breaking away from the pack.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 21, 2024 10:41 pm  #2

Re: CNBC article states that radio listenership is holding it's own

In Toronto the top talk station was sabotaged by its ownership so it’s hard to know if listenership is dropping naturally or if it’s just a symptom of Bell purposely shedding listeners.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 21, 2024 10:42 pm)

March 22, 2024 9:46 am  #3

Tomas Barlow wrote:

In Toronto the top talk station was sabotaged by its ownership so it’s hard to know if listenership is dropping naturally or if it’s just a symptom of Bell purposely shedding listeners.

Definitely the ongoing Bell cuts. Ontario's Authoritative News Voice no longer exists because there is no longer a newsroom where that voice can be heard. Jack Dennett's 8AM newscast was appointment listening. This may or may not be true but I have heard that Jack's 8AM newscast had as many listeners as all the other Toronto stations combined. Someone once quipped if the world was ending, CFRB was the go to station to hear about it.

March 22, 2024 9:58 am  #4

A number of people are choosing not to watch or listen to the news out of the notion of self-care and protecting their mental health. The "bad news" is a bit of a downer (no pun intended to newscaster Nathan).

The station I then to listen to, has no newscasts now, this has been the case for over a year now. I actually don't mind that.

I sense several mitigating factors influencing listening habits, where information radio is concerned. For us crunchy granola types, it gets stale listening to people arguing, angry AF at the government and that there was a shooting or stabbing in the "6" overnight.

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (March 22, 2024 9:59 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 22, 2024 9:59 am  #5

mace wrote:

Jack Dennett's 8AM newscast was appointment listening. This may or may not be true but I have heard that Jack's 8AM newscast had as many listeners as all the other Toronto stations combined. Someone once quipped if the world was ending, CFRB was the go to station to hear about it.

I've linked to these before, but if you've never heard them, here's the reason he was so popular - a great voice combined with great writing back when CFRB was still CFRB.

Jack Dennett On The Munich Massacre, Sept. 6, 1972

Jack Dennett On The Mysterious Kidnapping Disappearance Of Mel Lastman's Wife

Jack Dennett On The End Of The Vietnam War

Jack Dennett on The Brampton Centennial School Massacre, 1975

March 22, 2024 11:09 am  #6

Most radio newscasts end with the sports report. Have you ever wondered why Bill Stephenson's five minute sports cast ran before Jack Dennett's 8AM report? Apparently, the suits at RB felt that a sports report after the news would be a tuneout factor for non sports fan listeners. By placing it before the news the non sports fans would stay tuned not wanting to miss Dennett.

March 22, 2024 11:21 am  #7

Sadly, Dennett would pass away from cancer merely four months after his Vietnam war report in late August 1975 at the age of 59.