sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2016 8:18 pm  #1

WUFO Buffalo Heading To FM

The low powered but longtime gospel pioneer that's been at 1080 AM since 1961 will remain there. But it will soon be joined by an FM simulcaster, which will continue on after the daytime-only version signs off at sunset.

The Buffalo News describes the new frequency only as "107 FM," which is not very helpful. I haven't heard anything about WLLK, the station at 107.7 in Weathersfield N.Y., planning to leave the dial. It can't be 107.1, where Q is. 107.7 is taken. So is 107.9 in Burlington. That leaves only 106.9, 107.3 or 107.5, both very close to existing stations. 

Or should I ask, What's the Frequency Kenneth? Maybe Dan Rather or R.E.M. will know the answer. 

WUFO plans to broaden reach with an FM channel

December 4, 2016 9:32 pm  #2

Re: WUFO Buffalo Heading To FM

I can remember hearing two songs during the 80s for the first time on WUFO during more their more urban-ish formats.  There was "Lovelight" by O'Bryan (Friday Night Videos was the only other place I ever heard that song played).  Then there was "Save Your Love" by Rene and Angela in 1986, and Kiss 98.5 was the only other area station that later later played it.  Also interestingly, they were the ONLY other station that I ever heard "Rappers Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang other than CKOC late in 1980.  Good radio memories.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 4, 2016 9:44 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

WUFO...they were the ONLY other station that I ever heard "Rappers Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang other than CKOC late in 1980.  Good radio memories.

Thanks for mentioning that song Jody....C.K.G.M. Montreal played the hell out of that tune when it first came out...

WUFO....never heard those call letters before....I'll add them to my list which currently includes...WHO....WHAM...and WOWO....

Last edited by unclefester (December 4, 2016 9:50 pm)

December 4, 2016 9:55 pm  #4

Well CKOC played the song right at the start of the year.  In fact, I think it debuted on CKOC's high rotation in the first week of January 1980 (right around the time when Steve Forbert was getting play), but around November I heard WUFO play it while I was flipping the dial on my old old Lloyd;s tuner ...lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 4, 2016 11:54 pm  #5

Best I can figure out, reading a myriad of reports, it could possibly be 100.7. (Despite CHIN).