sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2016 5:06 pm  #1

SOWNY Exclusive: Mississauga's CKNT Owner: No Sign-On Until 2017

If you've been monitoring AM 960 listening for a signal that was mandated to be on air today (Nov. 30th), you can tune it out - and apparently for a lot longer. 

I spoke to owner Elliott Kerr this afternoon and asked him if CKNT would see the light of day by the CRTC's latest deadline. His answer was an emphatic no, that the station would not make air until sometime in the new year. He refused to say what the latest delay was or why it was taking so long, noting that he'd put more than five years of his life into the venture and he's frustrated by the seemingly never-ending delays.

He also wouldn't comment on whether they've hired any staff, if there's a website being planned, where the station will be located, if the transmitter is in place or even if there's any of the broadcasting equipment installed. Sounds to me like they wouldn't be ready even if the TX is.

In our very short conversation, I asked him if he believed the CRTC would grant them yet ANOTHER delay - it's already been half a decade and counting as of this month. His response: we hope so.

I'm not attributing this to him, but that answer makes it sound like they haven't even put in the request for another extension yet. 

And so the station that no one has ever heard of continues to be Mississauga's best kept secret - at least until some unspecified time in 2017.

If then. 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 30, 2016 5:56 pm)

November 30, 2016 5:43 pm  #2

Re: SOWNY Exclusive: Mississauga's CKNT Owner: No Sign-On Until 2017

Well done RadioActive. Consider this a FB like!

November 30, 2016 7:09 pm  #3

A SOWNY exclusive ???!!!!!

Man...we're cookin' with gas !!!

November 30, 2016 7:15 pm  #4

I haven't been this excited since grilled.cheese switched from Kraft to Oka

November 30, 2016 10:15 pm  #5

good luck to him.  if he hasn't applied for another extension, his licence has expired and will need to re-apply....probably triggering a call. 

December 1, 2016 10:40 am  #6

CRTC refused to extend AM700 CJLI when it tried to extend, during a period where it had bee dealing with municipal (land use) authorities.   Kerr will have to reapply.  Normally AM's are not subject to calls for applications so it would simply be placed on the next "non appearing" hearing agenda.  That could take 6-9 months for a new approval.  That was what occurred with CJLI which eventually was able to build and and launch a 50KW am for Calgary.   There has been some talk in the past that the Mississauga licence "opportunity" had been offered to some experienced broadcasters - each of whom declined.. I wonder how committed Kerr is to sustain losses?

January 18, 2017 11:26 am  #7

The CP for this station has been extended to Nov. 30/2017 [Dan Sys, Canadian Radio News]

January 18, 2017 12:07 pm  #8

Wow. This is simply unbelievable. They got the licence back in 2011. If they're not on by November, that makes six years (!) that they've been given the privilege of doing nothing on a vacant frequency. That may be an all time record between being given the go-ahead and not signing on.

How many more chances do they get? How many more years can it be placed on hold before the CRTC finally says enough is enough and either yanks the licence or puts it back in the mix for someone else? I know they've had some transmitter location issues, but this is ridiculous. 

January 18, 2017 12:43 pm  #9

An extension was also approved for TTP's long licenced English outlet on 600 AM Montreal. June 30th. Guess they are in a generous mood, especially when it comes to new AM stations.