sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2019 12:43 pm  #1

Veteran Jock Reveals Why He Was Fired After Only One Shift

I love these behind-the-scene type radio stories and I'm sure many of us here have a lot of them to tell. But I wonder if anybody can beat this one - a California DJ who managed to get himself turfed from his new employer after what turned out to be his first  - and only - shift, in an obscure Sunday night position, no less. 

I've never heard of the guy who calls himself "Poorman," but is really Jim Trenton, but he's been suspended from a host of L.A.-area radio outlets in the past. And when his reputation finally caught up to him, he had trouble getting gigs. So he took a job at a little-listened-to station and somehow managed to make it last only a few hours. 

What did he do? The answer - and I have to admit laughing as I read this at how stupid it is - can be found here. 

June 13, 2019 9:10 pm  #2

Re: Veteran Jock Reveals Why He Was Fired After Only One Shift

RadioActive wrote:

I love these behind-the-scene type radio stories and I'm sure many of us here have a lot of them to tell. But I wonder if anybody can beat this one

I can. The story isn't as wonky but I know of a guy who didn't last that long.

Paul Drew, as PD at CKLW, took care to be at the station whenever one of his new jocks did his first show. He'd be there at any time, day or night. As an example, Chuck Morgan and I both broke in on the same all night show -- Chuck, who was about to become the next morning man, did midnight-3, I did 3-6am, prior to starting overnights. Drew was there most of the night.

Before we both arrived at the Big 8, Paul, a few weeks or months earlier, was doing his thing as another jock debuted. It didn't go well.

About an hour into the guy's first show, Drew walked back into the jock booth, told him to go down to the PD's office, wait for Drew to finish the show, then they would talk.

Paul let him go. He didn't make the cut.

June 14, 2019 7:04 am  #3

Mike, Any time I listened to the "Big 8", the jocks were always "on" and always brought their "A Game". At least, that's how it appeared to me as an average listener. Perhaps, this unfortunate potential employee didn't bring his "A Game" or maybe didn't have one.

June 14, 2019 10:07 am  #4

mace wrote:

Perhaps, this unfortunate potential employee didn't bring his "A Game" or maybe didn't have one.

When I heard the story, mace, the guy's name wasn't mentioned. You hate to see something like that happen but it probably was for the best.
Paul was always quick to react, was always listening or skimming, and didn't wait to let you know that he wasn't impressed. I can remember a batphone call two songs in, when he bluntly asked, "Is that it?"
At the same time, he would set his alarm for the middle of the night, take a few minutes to hear something worth a compliment, make a call, then listen for a positive reaction from the jock as he naturally kicked up things a few notches.

July 18, 2019 7:22 pm  #5

The guy referred to in the first message in this thread told the story of how he was fired after just one show.

Now the jock known as "Poorman" is back with another remarkable radio tale of how an outright broadcasting failure that left him broke accidentally turned into a huge payday at the last minute. 

I'm not sure who this guy is, but he sure does have some great stories. This is another one of them. 

A $300,000 Gift From Radio Korea