sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2019 7:50 pm  #1

$595 Million to the media in the new budget!

SNC Lavalin affair, Have a lin affair, I am voting Liberal next election after this hand out...I am already in line with my hands out.

Here is more on how the Feds are helping our struggling media biz.

http://broadcastdialogue.com/budget-2019-details-595m-in-support-for-qualifying-media-tax-breaks/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 19, 2019 8:55 pm  #2

Re: $595 Million to the media in the new budget!

aaannnddd.... cue the tinfoil hat brigade who will say you can't trust a media outlet taking handouts from the government.

March 21, 2019 6:24 am  #3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 21, 2019 9:46 am  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

It's a bad idea. Really bad.

Will you walk away from a fool and YOUR money?    P. MCartney, 1969

Final para. in Andrew Coyne's above piece (also on A4 in today's print edition) "If you were searching for a way to kill the news business, you couldn't do a better job"

Last edited by Ms. C. (March 21, 2019 10:13 am)

March 21, 2019 1:18 pm  #5

I'm also extremely uncomfortable with this. And I should add it doesn't matter which party is suggesting it. I would oppose it if it were the Conservatives, the NDP or the Greens.

There will always be some suspicion about coverage if you're getting government money - even if absolutely everything is 100% above board. You can buy a lot of things with those suspect cents, but a clean reputation isn't one of them.  

And then there's the other side of this story, a press release that shouldn't surprise anybody. While the promised federal money is solely for newspaper and print journalism, broadcasters are angry that they're not getting a cut of the action.

"The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) is disappointed that the federal government has excluded broadcast media from journalism support tax credits announced in Budget 2019....

"The federal government's exclusion of broadcasters — the preferred source for news among Canadians — is arbitrary and unfair policy." 

Broadcasters Term News Media Measures in Budget 2019 "Unfair"

March 25, 2019 12:01 am  #6

Post Media gets a massive hand out and doesn't have to promise to use it for journalism.

So really, a US hedge fund just got a huge injection of Canadian tax dollars.  Greeaat.

March 25, 2019 6:45 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

Post Media gets a massive hand out and doesn't have to promise to use it for journalism

How ma$$ive?     Please share your inside information on how (and when) it will be allocated.   Thank you

May 25, 2019 12:30 am  #8

i feel i must issue somewhat of an apology to muffy, RA and others.  While i still stand by the idea that gov't money can be used effectively by news media impartially.... the list of advisory organizations is misguided and ultimately unacceptable.  the hue and cry from all angles will sink this deal... one hopes.

May 25, 2019 11:13 am  #9

Governments already manipulate media companies by strong arming them with their advertising dollars.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.