sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2018 10:27 pm  #1

"How To Become A Radio Broadcaster"

This article appeared Tuesday in something called "College Magazine," with the provocative title, "How To Become A Radio Broadcaster." It poses a series of questions to those who want to get into the industry. 

You can read it here, but don't expect anything profound. However, I couldn't resist providing my own perhaps more honest (but cynical) answers to the category questions they pose, the kind they definitely don't teach you in school.

WHAT DOES A PROFESSIONAL RADIO BROADCASTER DO?  
Tries not to get fired on a daily basis. 

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL RADIO BROADCASTER?
Having a relative who owns a station. 

WHAT IS MY EXPECTED INCOME?
You expect an income?

HOW MUCH WILL I WORK?
Better you should ask, How much will I be out of work?

WHAT WILL THE WORK ENVIRONMENT BE LIKE?
Hostile.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE PROFESSION?
There probably isn't one....

LIST 3 KEY SKILLS YOU NEED TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL RADIO BROADCASTER
1. COMMUNICATION SKILLS

So you can tell listeners who troll you on Twitter or on the phone to go fuck themselves. 

2. VERSATILITY
Knowing how to work at McDonald's once your station changes format comes in very handy. 

3. COMPOSURE
It takes patience to wait in those long Unemployment Insurance lines. 

July 18, 2018 2:11 am  #2

Re: "How To Become A Radio Broadcaster"

RadioActive:

Your post initially made me laugh; but just for a moment until it sunk in. I've always been interested in broadcasting but have never worked in the field. Are things really that bad?

Is there any future in this business?

July 18, 2018 8:43 am  #3

Of course my take was tongue-in cheek, but I’m not sure I’m the best one to answer your question. I spent about 10 years in radio when it was still at its peak (i.e., before the Internet) and was lucky enough to work at some of the city’s biggest stations. And despite some frustrations which will always exist, we mostly had a ball.

But I’ve spent the past quarter century in TV news so telling you what the radio industry is like now wouldn’t be fair or accurate.

I am able to say that radio can be a wonderful, creative and fun world when it’s done right. But a lot of that has been pushed aside in the name of saving money. As for starting out, it’s always been tough. But it’s the shrinking opportunities that would concern me most. For example, overnights in a smaller market was always considered a great learning ground, where you could develop your style, make mistakes and just get better.

I can’t think of a single music station in Toronto (or elsewhere for that matter) that actually has a live person in those hours. Those shifts have simply disappeared and I don’t see any scenario where they might come back. That’s a big loss for newcomers. Everything is automated now, which is also a big loss, even for veterans of the biz.  

Add in syndicated programming, rerolls, the choices available on the web, a generation that uses the Internet to find a lot of its tunes and a “just shut up and play the music” mentality at many places and this old grey radio mare, she ain’t what she used to be.

Still, studies indicate that people are listening and that a lot of the doom and gloom is exaggerated. But there's no denying there are fewer jobs than there used to be and I feel that a lot of the creativity and freedom we had is all but gone in far too many organizations. And that is what I would miss the most.

So should you pursue a job in radio? It was all I ever wanted to do and I’m glad I did it. And, as I always used to tell people, it beats working in an office. (Radio people have the best behind-the-scenes stories of anyone and most of them are pretty hilarious.)  

As for your final question, 'Is there any future in this business?' there certainly is for some. But I suspect it's not as much as before. And I’m not sure what I’d tell someone who wanted to try it now. I invite others to fill in the blanks for me. Would you still go into it if you were starting out today? And would you want your kids to go into traditional broadcasting as it stands now?

Or would you prefer they work for a living? (Damn, there's that cynical humour I just can't seem to shake!) 

July 18, 2018 2:57 pm  #4

RA...loved your "Communications Skills"  answer. 

Priceless!

July 19, 2018 1:22 am  #5

You're probably right about no overnight live music programming with the exception of WSM 650 AM Nashville, Tennessee (yes AM!). I believe they are live 24 hours on week days. Live and automated on weekends. And I think they manage to make money.

I don't know if it has changed since being purchsed by Rogers, but CKOT 101.3 Tillsonburg Ontario was live from 05:30 to midnight every day.

This leads to another question. How many hours a day are most stations live? I am guessing most stations may be live from 06:00 - 09:00 and 15:00 - 18:00 if even that. 

I can spot a voice tracked / automated station very quickly. Do most listeners notice or care?

July 19, 2018 6:21 pm  #6

darcyh wrote:

I can spot a voice tracked / automated station very quickly. Do most listeners notice or care?

Only the Prime Octagon of this board's Illuminati truly care if a station is tracked. Sure, the average listener might notice, maybe, but, their care level is akin to god giving nuts to the woman with no teeth.

July 19, 2018 11:07 pm  #7

darcyh wrote:

I can spot a voice tracked / automated station very quickly.  Do most listeners notice or care?

Yes....many care.  That said...it depends a lot on where they live.  Let's say for example that you live in a small town,,,up in Northern Ontario...where those forest fires are burning 'here, there and almost everywhere' even as I type.  In some areas...people are on alert to evacuate.  Being voice-tracked from 5:00 PM Friday until 6:00 AM Monday is good how?  It is dereliction ... perhaps not of duty ... but of faith, goodwill and an actually sense of understanding responsibility

Let's say that something runs amuck at the town/city water processing facility and suddenly everyone should only consume water after it's been brought to a rolling boil for 2 minutes.  Voice tracking alerts nobody if the timing doesn't coincide.  Pregnant women and infants/little children might as well go to the dollar store...purchase some kites and pray for wind.  Meanwhile that wind better not propel the fires in the wrong direction.

Weather with no current temps.  Generic info with no time checks.  Missing elements.  Songs extro'd entirely incorrectly.  It's easy to tell when ownership only cares about the bottom line...not the well-being of the audience.  If that is the case...it IS so daily...whether it's live or otherwise.  Broadcasters who play by these 'rules' don't deserve to just take the money and run.  They're more than just bad for the local economy  They abuse the trust handed to them through historical achievements reached by entirely different people.  'Souless' would not have been anywhere near so easily settled for in an era not too far back in the past.  One can only worry about what's next?  How can they possibly give their listeners less.  I don't know...but rest assured they'll find a way.  Nuts indeed.

July 20, 2018 7:37 pm  #8

Nonsense. Here's where we need to update our thinking. Many, many people no longer own a radio. In fact, for many, the only radio they come in contact with is in their car. The days of huddling to the old speakerbox for emergency information is long gone. Most rely on their cellular phones for imminent danger info. And those same people could care less if their station is in automation mode for the weekends. Again, let's think like the average listener and not as a Titanium Member of the Rose-coloured Level of the Illuminati here.

It's a vicious circle -- one instigated by radio itself. Case-in-point: GNR 640 has long-trained their listeners that once 5am Saturday hits, they no longer are a live or relevant station. Once Dratch signs-off, they go into shill-mode until their trackless train of a morning show begins on Monday. Do you honestly think that the typical Torontonian, once a nuclear threat occurs will run to their 31 year old flip clock radio and tune to 640 for directives? If so, they'll be greeted with snakeoil, pillow, precious minerals, face cream, anal lube and erectile dysfunction programming in amidst all the shyster lawyer pulp. Kiss their fannies goodbye once the North Korean firecracker detonates in Parkdale.

All the while, their trusty mobiles will update them. And, inasmuch as there will be a reply citing the cell towers could go down, well --- so could the radio transmission sticks.

July 21, 2018 12:16 pm  #9

The likelihood of your successfully lumping all persons into one basket diminishes with the escalating age of the general population subsections.  In rural and smaller town Ontario...the average age is somewhere in the + mid 40s.  Below 45 years of age...your opinion is far more accurate.  Below 35 it's likely closer to 100%.   Mind you...people under the age of 35 are far less likely to own their own cottage...camp...getaway spot.  No...let us think as the average RADIO listener...who is more likely to be significantly above the average age of the previously mentioned general population.

The nonsensical aspect to all of this is radio...chasing away their actual audience/probable listeners.  For the majority...you know...folks above 46?...56"?...66?  The chances of your being right drops like an anvil.  And therein lies the sense.

July 21, 2018 12:42 pm  #10

Yes, let's think of the average RADIO listener. As previously stated, more and more people don't own a radio anymore. And, in rural/small town Ontario, there is less and less hyper local RADIO coverage this is live and reliably activated for emergencies. Again, radio has trained listeners to stop counting on the medium in times of crisis. Even the saintly CBC, touted here often as the absolute necessity and saviour of all Canadians, isn't hyper local enough to pinpoint coverage for emergencies.

But, what is? The internet. And, THAT is delivered via mobile phone.

Also, the notion (by some here) that seniors (or anyone over the age of "x") don't own or relate to the internet/technology/cell phones is a false and incorrect assumption. I am infinitely surprised by how resiliently adaptive this older population is. 

July 21, 2018 2:41 pm  #11

darcyh wrote:

RadioActive:   Is there any future in this business?

There certainly is, D.H.     For example Neil Hedley Lamarr of AM 740 is said to be considering cancelling future bus rides related to the long-running Elvis Presley promotion in Collingwood and replacing that with a fresh promotion comprised of TTC tokens to (what's left of) the ElMocambo to honor Elvis Costello (even though Costello isn't even dead yet).

It's all about demographics as O. Codger astutely points out

K.

Last edited by Kilgore (July 21, 2018 2:45 pm)